The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M2 - 17th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fpmaniac
I dont know how to draw the force exerted on B by the wall so i havent gotten very far.

This is how I've done it:1465833966906.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pineneedles
This is how I've done it:1465833966906.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, is one of the forces friction or in questions like this there is always 2 forces like that acting on the rod attached to the wall.
Original post by TheMarshmallows
Here's my solution to 11

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465833636.242747.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465833692.288994.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I dont get what you've done with T. Shouldnt T be acting vertically and horizontally from A? if so the moments of T about A will be 0
Here's my solution to 11

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465833692.288994.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you explain what you did in the second step, where you've written m(a)?
At that point I was trying to take moments about a, but I wasn't sure how to because the vertical component of thrust from the rod is acting into a, and if you take moments anywhere else you can't ignore the force from the hinge. Sorry for hijacking this question by the way, OP, hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, is one of the forces friction or in questions like this there is always 2 forces like that acting on the rod attached to the wall.

Always two forces, you have a vertical component and a horizontal component. The hinge is smooth so there's no friction there. It doesn't matter if you model the forces in the wrong direction either, in my drawing I could have had x going right and y going down, it would have just become negative when I do the calculations. The other poster demonstrates that in their working out for your other question 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, I dont get what you've done with T. Shouldnt T be acting vertically and horizontally from A? if so the moments of T about A will be 0

One part acts in line with A, the other part acts perpendicular to A. There's two places to consider T: at the bottom or on the rod.

Could you explain what you did in the second step, where you've written m(a)?At that point I was trying to take moments about a, but I wasn't sure how to because the vertical component of thrust from the rod is acting into a, and if you take moments anywhere else you can't ignore the force from the hinge. Sorry for hijacking this question by the way, OP, hahahPosted from TSR Mobile

m(a) means moments about a. The vertical component is acting in line with A, but the horizontal component is acting perpendicular to it. (or the other way around depending on where you want to consider T).

I drew a thing that hopefully makes it clearer:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465835189.379063.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465835244.898151.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
One part acts in line with A, the other part acts perpendicular to A. There's two places to consider T: at the bottom or on the rod.

m(a) means moments about a. The vertical component is acting in line with A, but the horizontal component is acting perpendicular to it. (or the other way around depending on where you want to consider T).

I drew a thing that hopefully makes it clearer:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465835189.379063.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465835244.898151.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

O didnt know you could do that lol :biggrin: Thanks. I find right side easier to understand
Always two forces, you have a vertical component and a horizontal component. The hinge is smooth so there's no friction there. It doesn't matter if you model the forces in the wrong direction either, in my drawing I could have had x going right and y going down, it would have just become negative when I do the calculations. The other poster demonstrates that in their working out for your other question 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you model the forces in the wrong direction will the final answer be negative? Also would questions about rough hinges come up in the exam
If you model the forces in the wrong direction will the final answer be negative? Also would questions about rough hinges come up in the exam

Yes in some cases, I demonstrate this in my workings for part b here:

Where I drew Y going the wrong direction.
If you draw more than one force going the wrong way though you might have problems (depends on the question really).

As for rough hinges, I don't think so, at least I've never seen a question ask it
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes in some cases, I demonstrate this in my workings for part b here:

Where I drew Y going the wrong direction.
If you draw more than one force going the wrong way though you might have problems (depends on the question really).

As for rough hinges, I don't think so, at least I've never seen a question ask it

Oh crap. If a question like that comes up im gonna mess up :laugh:
Guys, considering the difficulty of last year's and this year's Maths papers, how hard do you think M2 will be?
I'm really not looking forward to this exam, I plainly cannot do M2.
Original post by Craig1998
I'm really not looking forward to this exam, I plainly cannot do M2.

me too! but i need to do well to make up for the shambles that was fp2
Original post by Tizzydag
me too! but i need to do well to make up for the shambles that was fp2

I'm relying on FP3 to make up for this exam.
Guys can someone help me, on the January 2008 paper for Q6c, i used v^2=u^2+2as and got the answer, but why does it in the mark scheme say 'watch out for incorrect use of v^2=u^2+2as' ????
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by eftio.gea
Guys can someone help me, on the January 2008 paper for Q6c, i used v^2=u^2+2as and got the answer, but why does it in the mark scheme say 'watch out for incorrect use of v^2=u^2+2as' ????

as long as you handle the x and y directions separately you should be ok (depending on what you did)
Reply 76
Original post by eftio.gea

As the question contains a variable u and the motion equations also involve a u, that notice is simply to ensure that students don't substitute the incorrect value.

Here's the solution (using the equation noted):

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by candol
as long as you handle the x and y directions separately you should be ok (depending on what you did)

Original post by ImJared
As the question contains a variable u and the motion equations also involve u as the initial velocity, it is simply warning examiner that some students will use the incorrect value of u in their equations.

Here's the solution for others, relatively simple:

Ohhhh alright yes that's what I did, i was worried i thought we couldn't use v^2 = u^2 +2as
Thanks!!!!!!
Reply 78
They are equal in the sense that work done against resistance is the same same as the force you put in to do work against that resistance
I have a question regarding work done. Sometimes they use the total resistance force x distance to calculate work done but other times they use forward force x distance to calculate work done. How do u know which one to use. E.g. for question 5 june 2013 they used resistance force x distance
Can someone help with M2 2015 2b please.

I don't understand what the mark scheme is saying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending