The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 4B Pre-release

Scroll to see replies

Guys does anyone have the other practice questions? I have one potential papers starting with 'Identify the main issues of the UK’s energy mixwhich has encouraged investment into fracking' (10) but not the other one. Thank you!
Original post by Mizipizi
Guys does anyone have the other practice questions? I have one potential papers starting with 'Identify the main issues of the UK’s energy mixwhich has encouraged investment into fracking' (10) but not the other one. Thank you!

1. Comment on the projected future sources of electricity shown in Figure 4. (7 marks)
2. Discuss the need for fracking in the UK. (8 marks)
3. Identify why fracking in the USA is much cheaper than it is in the UK. (8 marks)
4. To what extent do the advantages of fracking outweigh the disadvantages? (15 marks)
5. Evaluate the methods that Cuadrilla is undertaking to reduce the risks of fracking in the Flyde.(12 marks)
6. Identify an appropriate hypothesis to test residents opinions about fracking as described in Item 7 and explain how a questionnaire could help you gather data to prove/disprove the hypothesis. (5 marks)
7. Explain how an A Level Geography group might select people to answer questions about their opinions on the proposed fracking site. (5 marks)

:smile:
Original post by georgiewood
1. Comment on the projected future sources of electricity shown in Figure 4. (7 marks)
2. Discuss the need for fracking in the UK. (8 marks)
3. Identify why fracking in the USA is much cheaper than it is in the UK. (8 marks)
4. To what extent do the advantages of fracking outweigh the disadvantages? (15 marks)
5. Evaluate the methods that Cuadrilla is undertaking to reduce the risks of fracking in the Flyde.(12 marks)
6. Identify an appropriate hypothesis to test residents opinions about fracking as described in Item 7 and explain how a questionnaire could help you gather data to prove/disprove the hypothesis. (5 marks)
7. Explain how an A Level Geography group might select people to answer questions about their opinions on the proposed fracking site. (5 marks)

:smile:

Thank you so much!!!
Is anyone able to explain what the combined "coal and gas" category that appears in 2017 in the projected electricity sources (p4) of the AIB is?
Original post by _jamess
anyone know what cuadrilla did about changing their proposals after being rejected earlier regarding traffic

they said they would build another road, they appealed the application and has gone to the national government. The report comes out on 9th July 2016. However, caudrilla has already starting drilling wells which suggets that it is a done deal.
I hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Mizipizi
Thank you so much!!!

you're welcome!! good luck :smile:

Thanks for sharing :smile: What would be the answer to this Q
Original post by cwinter12
Would someone be able to send some info on the mann whitney u test and the chi square test - my teacher isn't very involved with this exam at all and I've not really gone over either of the tests

Had no idea we needed to know this. My teachers being useless as well. Do we really need to know statistical methods?
Original post by TsrJesus

*UK geology is different to US, UK is more heavily faulted therefore it is more expensive to frack
*rates of tax in the UK are high, 2/3 of profit can be claimed by the government
*Caudrilla currently pay 15% tax to Crown estate due to mineral rights.
*Shale deposits in the Uk are 3x deeper than those found in the US and require 10x more water as a result
(edited 7 years ago)

The USA are able to extract a lot more oil from the ground along with a lot more natural gas (shale). Because of this natural gas is beginning to replace oil as a source of power therefore the price of oil will start to fall as the demand for oil decreases.

The differences in price may be due to the geology of the USA and UK.
Extracting gas in Europe alone is 2-3 times more expensive due to the geology and regulations that surround the sites. The US also have better technology for fracking-in the UK, our gas deposits are lower and we have smaller basins effectively making it more difficult to frack.
Reply 190
Please will someone help me with the fieldwork planning? I'm so desperate :frown: I'm an external candidate so no teacher to ask, x
Original post by duncant
*UK geology is different to US, UK is more heavily faulted therefore it is more expensive to frack
*rates of tax in the UK are high, 2/3 of profit can be claimed by the government
*Caudrilla currently pay 15% tax to Crown estate due to mineral rights.
*Shale deposits in the Uk are 3x deeper than those found in the US and require 10x more water as a result

The USA are able to extract a lot more oil from the ground along with a lot more natural gas (shale). Because of this natural gas is beginning to replace oil as a source of power therefore the price of oil will start to fall as the demand for oil decreases.
The differences in price may be due to the geology of the USA and UK.
Extracting gas in Europe alone is 2-3 times more expensive due to the geology and regulations that surround the sites. The US also have better technology for fracking-in the UK, our gas deposits are lower and we have smaller basins effectively making it more difficult to frack.

Cheers. Unless I am missing something in the AIB, isn't this question almost completely based on research outside of the booklet? And if so, how likely is it that they would ask this or a similar question?
Cheers. Unless I am missing something in the AIB, isn't this question almost completely based on research outside of the booklet? And if so, how likely is it that they would ask this or a similar question?

it is based on mainly research, but the US does come up as a topic in the AIB so they would expect you to do research into the area! there are only a certain amount of questions they can ask as they have to be based around information given in the booklet but I'd say it's quite likely they would ask a question similar to this

There is some info on page 12 about taxes to get you started but ultimately it is down to research. I made a revision card comparing US vs. Uk fracking which has been helpful.
Original post by clarypops
I would really advise looking on the website given in your zigzag booklet there is some really controversial points on him.

For example he isnt all he says he is, lies and exaggerates many points :smile:

I dont suppose you could post some links to websites given in that booklet do you? Or any useful information? My teachers are useless..
Can anyone list their pro's and cons of fracking? I would like to compare to make sure I havent missed any ty
Original post by lcormack
I dont suppose you could post some links to websites given in that booklet do you? Or any useful information? My teachers are useless..

13460818_1185089934835609_38814577_o.jpg

If you can read this, it's a sheet I was given basically ripping Mike Hill a new one x
im seriously stuck no idea where to start, what the hell do i do this is wendesday
Original post by duncant
There is some info on page 12 about taxes to get you started but ultimately it is down to research. I made a revision card comparing US vs. Uk fracking which has been helpful.

could u send me the revision card please via message or on here if you don't mind? would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 199
Original post by studymonkey24
One of the questions that we did in a mock paper in school included the question:
'Your A-level geography group has been asked to undertake a piece of fieldwork to assess whether the opinions regarding proposed fracking vary with distance from the test drilling site. Describe how you would carry out this fieldwork.'

From the notes that we made in class, this is how I would tackle the question:
- Hypothesis
- Sampling Methods (Random, Systematic and Stratified)
- Identify data collection sites
- Risk Assessment
- Create a questionnaire (examples of questions that you might ask)
- Presentation and analysis of data (examples)

Hope this helps :smile:

What examples are of presentation,
and could the analysis be Chi squared or Mann Whitney U?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending