The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iiPablo
Put AgNO3 initially but wasn't sure if the CH2Cl would form a white ppt. as well, so went with water to produce white misty fumes with the acyl chloride, any ideas if that'd score marks?

That's fine.
What did people get for the 2 questions right at the start (equations for ethanoic acid behaving as an acid and a base??)
Original post by Cadherin
It is 9.

Thank god. I have now secured 1 mark out of 100. :smile:
Original post by Kay Fearn
Pretty sure it was 8 peaks..

It was 9 peaks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SnackAttack33
Complaining will do nothing for you or anyone else. People complain every year. EVERYONE had to answer the same questions as you. Dont worry about it. They are testing your APPLICATION of the knowledge.
Im sure you did a lot better than you think. The questions were not too difficult if you new both past paper technique and a good all round knowledge.

Dont fret! LIfes too short :wink:

Good luck with anymore exams

Thing is the style was completely different to the past papers. There were too many sneaky questions that aren't going to be reliably representative of the students abilities which is not fair - especially the 9 marker at the end after lots of time wasting short questions.

Chem 1&2 were both so different from past papers it's unreal, so many long answer questions at the end throws everyone off his isn't fair at all they need to take responsibility because the grade boundaries for an a will be around 72 but each grade inbetween will be 3-4 marks which is so unfair to cast such thin boundaries
Original post by Hclarke9
Anyone get 1.2 for the salt/acid question??? Cant remember exactly what the question was asking but it was the last question on the 2nd page

yeah I did !!
Original post by Ljm1998
Start a petition

Seriously I think it's worth it because usually there's on a few questions that require a lot of time. Almost every question in the paper required a lot of time and thinking. I couldn't concentrate on the questions themselves because I was scared of running out of time. It was an unfair paper. I've done every last paper twice and nothing compared to that paper today
The answer to the final question was CH3CH2C(CH3)HOCH2CH2OH
Original post by Suits101
For distinguishing between P and Q:

Reagent: AgNO3 OR Na2CO3/NaHCO3 OR water OR named indicator
P: no visible change/no reaction
Q: (white) ppt OR effervescence/CO2/fumes/exothermic OR fumes/smell OR acid colour

Words in brackets aren't needed

Wouldnt any alcohol also work in the same way as water?
Where is this d MARK SCHEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEEMEMEMEMEM!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!? lol..
Original post by SnackAttack33
your right! sorry!
don't be I put the same at first your nmr is spot on tho so you will pick up marks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ljm1998
Start a petition

I agree too, the questions took me too long and the entire paper was SO difderent to any of the other past papers!! I'm with ya there, if there's a petition, I'll sign
Original post by badaman
Medicine yes *****ing myself now

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep same Manchester for medicine
Original post by Suits101
That's fine.

Was P the RCH2Cl and Q the acyl chloride?
Mark scheme
mark scheme
mark scheme
mark scheme
mark scheme
mark scheme
mark scheme
mark scheme
mark scheme
mark scheme
mark scheme
mark scheme
mark scheme
mark scheme
mark scheme
mark scheme
mark scheme
Original post by badaman
Medicine yes *****ing myself now

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not going to get an A in chemistry because of that paper
The lowest mark needed for an A* was 83/100 which happened in jan10,june10 and jan 11. In them years, 73/74 was an A. So I'm guessing the grade boundaries will be similar to this.
Worst Chem 4 paper ever
it was definitely 8 peaks...

what a SNEAKY, PIECE OF CRAP paper - AQA have it in for us this year! it was manageable (except for q9) but it may as well have been called 'Acyl Chlorides 101'.
Also wtf was Chem 1 doing in there - hydrogen bonds, percentage mass, molecular formula ?!?!
psshht A in chem gone
Original post by FormlessBowl
Wouldnt any alcohol also work in the same way as water?

I believe so! Let me edit my post I didn't see that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending