The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Iknowbest

Yes it is far easier for people to buy a gun there, although assault rifles are not easy to get hold of. In many shootings including the latest Florida Club mass killing an Assault Rifle was apparently used. How the gunman got hold of this gun I don't know? My guess is that he got in illegally?

According to NBC, the Florida gunman purchased his weapon legally, along with a pistol, in the week before the attack.
Original post by DanB1991
You could probably count the amount in the UK in the last twenty years on one hand.

If you exclude things like the Essex Range Rover murders, where it's one bunch of criminals killing another bunch, I reckon it's six in the past sixty or so years:

Barry Williams killing five in the Midlands (1978)
1987 Hungerford Massacre
1989 Monkseaton shootings
Dunblane in 1996
The Cumbria shootings in 2010
Raoul Moat in Northumbria a month later

Two of them wouldn't be included in the FBI definition above: Monkseaton (1 dead, 14 injured), and Northumbria (1 dead, 2 injured over two days).

The people drafting the second amendment didn't bother to specify what sort of weapons were ok or add 'as allowed by law', as in the 1689 Bill of Rights here. Protestants here have the right to weapons for self-defence, but subsequent acts have limited that to pea-shooters and the like.

And we're safer for it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Grand High Witch
I am pro-full gun control as in the UK, but even if America is to retain its right to bear arms, why is this not limited to basic handguns only? Why are automatic rifles available for sale? What possible purpose could buying an automatic rifle serve?

so when a black/muslim does it, we need to rid americans of their 2nd amendment rights, but if a white guy or gal does it it’s racism and we need to ban the confederate flag.
when the black gay guy did it did we ban the LGBT flag? no we blamed guns. maybe if people weren’t so mentally ill or people had guns to defend themselves (pulse was a gun free zone) then this **** wouldn’t happen
Reply 43
Original post by DiddyDec
Hahahaha.

Guns aren't banned. They never have been. You can own upto and including a .50 BMG.

Posted from TSR Mobile

One can own a 20mm autocannon or a quad 50cal anti-aircraft if they really wanted. They are not banned completely. All machine guns, all rifles, all pistols, all shotguns, etc are legal.

You just need section 5.
Original post by Anno007
One can own a 20mm autocannon or a quad 50cal anti-aircraft if they really wanted. They are not banned completely. All machine guns, all rifles, all pistols, all shotguns, etc are legal.

You just need section 5.

Let's be realistic here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Let's be realistic here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only for rich people and legitimate businesses.
Original post by frankielogue
so when a black/muslim does it, we need to rid americans of their 2nd amendment rights, but if a white guy or gal does it it’s racism and we need to ban the confederate flag.
when the black gay guy did it did we ban the LGBT flag? no we blamed guns. maybe if people weren’t so mentally ill or people had guns to defend themselves (pulse was a gun free zone) then this **** wouldn’t happen

You must be joking? Whenever some white nutcase storms into a school and murders a bunch of toddlers, the fallout is tremendous. If you honestly think that people don't call for gun control when a white person "does it", you need to staple your eyelids open.
Reply 47
Original post by frankielogue

Great idea, let's just have fewer mentally ill people! And you think that allowing guns in a room containing over 100 people packed tightly with a lot of alcohol is a good idea? Granted, in this case, fewer than 50 people may well have died, (though several likely dead or injured due to collateral damage/ confusion on who the actual shooter was/ general inaccuracy/ drunk people firing shots in a tight space) but in the majority of mass shootings this would almost certainly increase casualties, due to the above reasons, as well as further increasing the number of shootings that take place already.

Also, the guy behind the confederate flag controversy "wanted a race war" and included the flag (itself a historic symbol of racism) in his manifesto. Every major ISIS inspired attack in the USA (as in, the two that have occurred, including the Orlando shooting) have prompted calls to ban Muslims from entering the United States, with significant backing.
Let's be realistic here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah.... you can in some states perfectly legally run a full functioning tank with little or no licenses.
Original post by DanB1991
Nah.... you can in some states perfectly legally run a full functioning tank with little or no licenses.

We are talking about the UK and no you can't, not even in the US can you have a fully functioning tank.
(edited 7 years ago)

Did you know you can get these in the UK?
Hahahaha.

Guns aren't banned. They never have been. You can own upto and including a .50 BMG.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is true, but they are bloody difficult and expensive to get hold of though. The average person probably couldn't afford a gun. Didn't know long barrelled pistols and revolvers were legal in the uk though
Reply 52
Original post by J_C_
Great idea, let's just have fewer mentally ill people!

That's actually quite sensible. The US has a lot of problems with provision of mental health treatment.

Hahahaha.

I'm always baffled on threads like these when people come out with stuff like about guns being "banned" in Britain. Maybe it's just being a bit rural that I grew up around guns, but for pity's sake - you'd think they'd have at least the faintest realisation that there are a vast quantity of legally held firearms in the UK.

It's one thing to suggest there isn't a single handgun in the UK (untrue, but at least understandable - I know of various people with Section 5 exemptions for things, not to mention the standard exemptions) but really - to suggest no guns in private hands? Mad.
OMG! So expensive!

They are easy to get hold of, but then again you probably don't even know the process of applying for a licence.

Do just a tiny bit of research before making such silly claims.

Original post by L i b

I'm always baffled on threads like these when people come out with stuff like about guns being "banned" in Britain. Maybe it's just being a bit rural that I grew up around guns, but for pity's sake - you'd think they'd have at least the faintest realisation that there are a vast quantity of legally held firearms in the UK.

It's one thing to suggest there isn't a single handgun in the UK (untrue, but at least understandable - I know of various people with Section 5 exemptions for things, not to mention the standard exemptions) but really - to suggest no guns in private hands? Mad.

I have been around guns near enough my entire life, they even taught us to shoot at school. Some people are just more sheltered than you could even comprehend.

It is just insane that people still believe there aren't private firearms. We have a multi million pound shooting industry.
OMG! So expensive!

They are easy to get hold of, but then again you probably don't even know the process of applying for a licence.

I have been around guns near enough my entire life, they even taught us to shoot at school. Some people are just more sheltered than you could even comprehend.

It is just insane that people still believe there aren't private firearms. We have a multi million pound shooting industry.

Good try trying to insult my intelligence, my cousin is a police officer, I know perfectly well (roughly) what you have to do to be able to obtain a gun legally.

Good for you, the vast majority of people in towns and cities do not even have an air rifle in their homes. Maybe you went to a posh high school or are a countryside dweller? Don't assume everyone in the UK has had the same upbringing and experience as you have. You sound quite privileged and snotty.
Reply 55
Original post by HanSoloLuck
The reason is to fight oppressive governments, should one arise. Ironically, they tend to show up right around, if not always, when the citizenry of said nation get disarmed lol.

Also, I want to own some artillery, god I hope that's legal somewhere in America.

I DOUBT that America will have an oppressive government in this day and age. In a democratic state, citizens elect their president and representatives and if they don't like their government then a new one will be elected. The UK was disarmed in 1996 and I've seen no tyrannical government emerge as a result. The right way to keep the government in check in the present time is the media and democratic elections.

Why would you want to possess something that can potentially kill a lot of people in a matter of seconds. The whole 'self-defence' argument is out the window after that silly comment.

As for self-defense, people are now having to buy guns to protect themselves from lunatics that are allowed to buy guns.
Also note how gun owners in the USA, when faced in a situation such as the Orlando Shootings, are unlikely to be able to defend themselves using a gun. By the time they reach for the gun, they are either dead or wounded by the perpetrator. Even if they do manage to get their gun out, it is unlikely that they will hit the target and it's possible that they end up harming other people that they never intended to. It's logical to think this as the situation itself is stressful and I doubt anyone holding a gun will be able to get their target right whilst everyone else is dying and screaming around them unless they happened to be trained by the military special ops who can handle those situations, even then they can mess up too.

I wouldn't have all these 'Call Of Duty' heroic fantasies about carrying a machine gun if I was you. It'll end up badly.

Furthermore, there is also very compelling evidence to suggest that guns are NOT used for self defense:

Most purported self-defense gun uses are gun uses in escalating arguments and are both socially undesirable and illegal: We analyzed data from two national random-digit-dial surveys conducted under the auspices of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center. Criminal court judges who read the self-reported accounts of the purported self-defense gun use rated a majority as being illegal, even assuming that the respondent had a permit to own and to carry a gun, and that the respondent had described the event honestly from his own perspective.

Firearms are used far more often to intimidate than in self-defense.Using data from a national random-digit-dial telephone survey conducted under the direction of the Harvard Injury Control Center, we examined the extent and nature of offensive gun use. We found that firearms are used far more often to frighten and intimidate than they are used in self-defense. All reported cases of criminal gun use, as well as many of the so-called self-defense gun uses, appear to be socially undesirable.

Hemenway, David; Azrael, Deborah. The relative frequency of offensive and defensive gun use: Results of a national survey. Violence and Victims. 2000; 15:257-272.

Using data from a national random-digit-dial telephone survey conducted under the direction of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center, we investigated how and when guns are used in the home. We found that guns in the home are used more often to frighten intimates than to thwart crime; other weapons are far more commonly used against intruders than are guns.
Azrael, Deborah R; Hemenway, David. In the safety of your own home: Results from a national survey of gun use at home. Social Science and Medicine. 2000; 50:285-91.

I could go on and on. Check out: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/gun-threats-and-self-defense-gun-use-2/
So will know perfectly well (roughly) that is isn't actually that difficult to get a firearm.

If they wanted an air rifle then they can go out a get one since you don't need a licence (under 12ft lbs for rifles).

That wasn't at high school, that was at prep school, but if you hover over my name you only need to read my location to answer the second part.

Don't get upset because I proved you wrong on both points.
So will know perfectly well (roughly) that is isn't actually that difficult to get a firearm.

If they wanted an air rifle then they can go out a get one since you don't need a licence (under 12ft lbs for rifles).

That wasn't at high school, that was at prep school, but if you hover over my name you only need to read my location to answer the second part.

Don't get upset because I proved you wrong on both points.

My point still stands that the vast majority of people in the UK don't live in the countryside and thus aren't really exposed to firearms outside of air rifles (which aren't a 'true' firearm anyway) You can't just assume that everyone in the UK is knowledgable about firearm ownership and mock people for not knowing private firearms do exist.

Yes, I know you don't need a license to get an air rifle under a certain power. My point was that it's quite uncommon and there is a lot of bad stereotypes about gun owners in towns and cities.
OMG! So expensive!

It is indeed mildly surprising that someone wouldn't know about private firearm ownership but nowhere near 'insane'; most people don't give a crap about guns.
Some businessmen think money is much more important than human life. It's something called capitalism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending