The Student Room Group

Studying Abroad funding advice

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on studying abroad and your opinions on this. I have meetings booked with members of staff about this, but I'd love to hear some of your opinions and experiences too!

Currently I'm a year 1 student who's just completed a foundation year. I'm an ex-British regular soldier and current Army Reservist, so travel is not an issue for me! I'm aware of the competitiveness in order to get these opportunities - that's why I'm looking into it now!#

As stated I'm an Army Reservist, and I also have a job at Tesco Mobile. I have the capability to earn and save money in order to put towards this.

However, 3 months as a minimum overseas can require a bit of further planning.

Are there other ways you can help fund it other than saving for it. Any advice, schemes and so I can get involved in?

Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers
Hi there!

Depending on where you'd like to go, there's a number of different funding options available to you. For example, if you'd like to go to America, you could look at the US-UK Fulbright Commision, who offer scholarships and advice on studying in America. Or if you'd prefer Europe, you could look into Erasmus +. You can also get scholarships from charities, such as the Vegetarian Society!

There's lots of different scholarships available, and it's always worth applying for as many as you can, even if you'd don't perfectly fit the criteria!

-Ella
Graduate Advocate
Original post by afatpigeon
Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on studying abroad and your opinions on this. I have meetings booked with members of staff about this, but I'd love to hear some of your opinions and experiences too!

Currently I'm a year 1 student who's just completed a foundation year. I'm an ex-British regular soldier and current Army Reservist, so travel is not an issue for me! I'm aware of the competitiveness in order to get these opportunities - that's why I'm looking into it now!#

As stated I'm an Army Reservist, and I also have a job at Tesco Mobile. I have the capability to earn and save money in order to put towards this.

However, 3 months as a minimum overseas can require a bit of further planning.

Are there other ways you can help fund it other than saving for it. Any advice, schemes and so I can get involved in?

Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers

Hi @afatpigeon,

Hopefully I can help a little here, as I am currently a third year student abroad in the US. It's great that you're looking into this early, as it's important to get prepared and know what to expect!

It'll definitely help that you're saving up now, as that provides you with a lot more freedom - save as much as you are able to. In terms of funding, there may be a few things you can do.

Grants or programmes, e.g., The Turing Scheme. Your university should know more about this, as I believe they are allocated a certain number of slots/a certain amount for their students studying abroad - you would need to check. The amount of funding you get is decided by multiple criteria points, so it varies depending on your circumstances, although you may be able to find rough figures somewhere. You can read more about it here: https://www.turing-scheme.org.uk/.

Scholarships are also a way you can fund your time abroad. There are loads out there, and it is always worth applying, even if you don't think you fully fit the criteria. If you are studying a specific subject or in a certain location, you might find a scholarship that is geared towards you. You can find them by doing a quick Google search or by contacting your home and/or (potential) host universities.

Student loans are another option. The money you receive from loans for your study abroad year may be higher than a usual year at home, so they can cover other expenses. It would be worth discussing this in the meeting you have set up with staff, as tuition and other costs may be different for you this year. For me, my tuition costs were reduced, and my food and accommodation was a set fee, so I could plan accordingly.

Personal fundraising is also an option. It can be uncomfortable to ask for money from family and friends, but setting up a small fundraiser for your study abroad experience might be able to help you out. You could also frame it towards a certain experience/activity that will benefit you or your studies, which may feel more appropriate.

Overall, it's great that you're looking into this now. There are lots of options out there, so do some research and talk with staff members, as they are more than willing to help you and point you in the right direction.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions!
Isabella :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending