The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Hello everyone

I managed to get an appointment with a doctor and with the university counselling services about my mood (I am anon #20 if you want to go back and read how I've been feeling this past month). I am still struggling quite a bit but managed to get some laundry and washing up done. Now I don't have to feel disgusting and keep wearing the same dirty clothes.

Still very very tired and still very very unable to sleep well. It's like my mind switches on and I start to feel restless and anxious when I should be sleeping. Trying my best to take it one day at a time.

For anyone who is still awake, how are you doing?
Not took my Depakote for while, the mood swings are kind of exciting :-# But allow that weight gain.
Original post by Airmed
Not particularly a good week for me.

Spoilers for personal stuff.

Spoiler

Kind of makes me think (deludedly) that a gf would be the dealbreaker between happy and not for me but for many reasons I don't have one/couldn't maintain one.
Original post by ScaryScience
moved into supported housing yesterday and ****ing hell it's a disaster. it's absolutely horrible. been crying for over a day

in other more positive news,found out I got a 2:1 in in my degree on Friday. given just how horrific the last few years have been, and the fact I only scraped a 2:2 in the first two years, i'm really proud

I hope you don't mind me asking but I'm moving into supported housing soon in a shared flat and I was just wondering if you could tell me why it was so bad?

You've got me a bit worried about the whole thing now.

Hope you are OK :smile:. That's a really good mark you got in your degree.
Have really sunk to the lowest I have probably ever been.

Have been on a heap on my bedroom floor for the past two days literally sobbing. Have been trying to get out for a walk but everytime I try to get up I collapse in a heap again crying. I don't know what's going on. I haven't eaten, washed, had fresh air.

Don't know what to do. At least this morning I've opened my laptop. I guess that's one step.

I have uni tonight and I don't know how I am going to make it there.
Original post by Danny the Geezer
Kind of makes me think (deludedly) that a gf would be the dealbreaker between happy and not for me but for many reasons I don't have one/couldn't maintain one.

A relationship is a lot of work but it is so worth it if it's the right person. But I definitely wouldn't think it as a dealbreaker.
Ugh. Just had an exam. Never been as prepared for an exam in my life, and I needed a really high A to have any chance of getting an A in maths. Went to bed early last night but couldnt sleep, ended up getting like an hour. I was late for the exam, my shoelaces snapped and I had to scrape bus money together in 2ps and 5ps. Then I got into the exam and it was a million times harder than any past papers. I ****ed it up. Feel like crying, I never cry :rofl:

The worst part is, I should have gotten extra time (should have been getting it for the last 3 years) but my school ****ed up and I never got the support I should be getting. Ive ran out of time in every exam this year, same last year.

Im in year 14, this was my last ever chance not to **** up. Ive been having a bad year, and I thought I might have turned things around in the last few weeks but nope. The only thing I can do now is ring the uni on results day and beg them to let me in when I have like CCC and my offer is AAA

:frown:

I even did terrible in general studies :rofl:
Original post by JordanL_
Ugh. Just had an exam. Never been as prepared for an exam in my life, and I needed a really high A to have any chance of getting an A in maths. Went to bed early last night but couldnt sleep, ended up getting like an hour. I was late for the exam, my shoelaces snapped and I had to scrape bus money together in 2ps and 5ps. Then I got into the exam and it was a million times harder than any past papers. I ****ed it up. Feel like crying, I never cry :rofl:

The worst part is, I should have gotten extra time (should have been getting it for the last 3 years) but my school ****ed up and I never got the support I should be getting. Ive ran out of time in every exam this year, same last year.

Im in year 14, this was my last ever chance not to **** up. Ive been having a bad year, and I thought I might have turned things around in the last few weeks but nope. The only thing I can do now is ring the uni on results day and beg them to let me in when I have like CCC and my offer is AAA

:frown:

I even did terrible in general studies :rofl:

I know the exact feeling. I just had my AS Statistics exam and I was hoping for an A, but that's long gone now. Gonna have to make up with C3 and C4 now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I've been meaning to make this post for a while but just kept on putting it off for some reason. Posting anonymously as I'm not sure if people I know may recognise me on here. I've recently been diagnosed with OCD, and feel a bit lost as a result of this. I've long suspected that I have the condition, and put off going to the doctors for a long time because I was scared and anxious, and still am! I'm due to start CBT this week, but I don't know what to expect at all, and I'm just wondered if anybody could give me a bit of an insight into their experience? Sorry for the long ramble, and thanks.
Original post by OriginaSid
I know the exact feeling. I just had my AS Statistics exam and I was hoping for an A, but that's long gone now. Gonna have to make up with C3 and C4 now

I haven't even learned most of C4 yet, I was hoping to make up for my inevitable failure with a decent grade in D1 today :rofl: :bawling: ughhh well, I had my S1 exam a few weeks ago and I did badly in that too, so you're not alone :colondollar: it's so annoying, seems every exam this year has been a million times harder than all the past ones.

Keep your chin up though!! I know it's **** advice and I can't follow it myself, but try to be optimistic - it seems like everyone's been finding exams ridiculous this year, so maybe grade boundaries will be super low :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I've been meaning to make this post for a while but just kept on putting it off for some reason. Posting anonymously as I'm not sure if people I know may recognise me on here. I've recently been diagnosed with OCD, and feel a bit lost as a result of this. I've long suspected that I have the condition, and put off going to the doctors for a long time because I was scared and anxious, and still am! I'm due to start CBT this week, but I don't know what to expect at all, and I'm just wondered if anybody could give me a bit of an insight into their experience? Sorry for the long ramble, and thanks.

Hi, I've had CBT a few times! Although for depression and anxiety, not OCD.

Since it's your first session your therapist will probably just talk to you about how you feel, what sort of problems you're having, to get an idea of how they can help. It's nothing really scary, try to relax - they're usually laid back and friendly. After that, CBT is about changing your thoughts and behaviours. Your therapist will work with you to try to identify all the thoughts you have that you might not even notice, and how those thoughts affect how you behave and feel, and how your behaviour affects your thoughts. Sounds complicated but it's not really. It's just about changing how you think, but your therapist will guide you through it.

Although be warned, it takes a bit of effort. Your therapist might give you a little bit of stuff to read between sessions, or ask you to keep a log of your thoughts and behaviours through the day. It's not difficult or time consuming, but it's still work. I think that's why I don't like CBT :biggrin:

Well done for getting help! It's a scary thing to do and I think really it's the hardest part, so just try to relax and things are gonna get better from now :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
I haven't even learned most of C4 yet, I was hoping to make up for my inevitable failure with a decent grade in D1 today :rofl: :bawling: ughhh well, I had my S1 exam a few weeks ago and I did badly in that too, so you're not alone :colondollar: it's so annoying, seems every exam this year has been a million times harder than all the past ones.

Keep your chin up though!! I know it's **** advice and I can't follow it myself, but try to be optimistic - it seems like everyone's been finding exams ridiculous this year, so maybe grade boundaries will be super low :biggrin:

I haven't even touched C3 and C4 since like before half term XD
Exams have screwed everyone over this year so fingers crossed for them low grade boundaries.
And don't doubt yourself, you can do it too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis :frown: :hugs: I was diagnosed with OCD as a child and its been a daily struggle ever since. I recently started CBT but it wasn't too effective for me, mainly due to the therapist herself and not the actual teaching and methods of CBT. For OCD, you will most likely get a type of CBT called ERP (Exposure Response Prevention Therapy) which has very high success rates for OCD, especially for contamination based OCD.

The first few sessions will be assessing you. They will ask you about your past to see if something has maybe triggered this condition, ask for a family history on mental health if any, ask about how the condition affects you on a day to day basis and things like that. You might get given tasks to do straight away but your therapist might wait until you are more settled and know more about how OCD personally affects you before they give you tasks.

Best of luck with your therapy and I hope you don't have the bad experience I did with my therapist. She was a nightmare and you can read about what she was like on here or on my blog but don't fear, most therapists are nothing like her. I was just unlucky. I really hope therapy helps you, its a long road but worth it and well done on taking the first step - its harder than many people realise. My inbox is always open if you ever need to chat :h: :hugs:
Heart is really hurting and tight with stress, cant inhale properly with this tightness :/
going to sleep
~Anon 1
Family, eh? Really upset and angry at what my gran said today. I'll add a spoiler due to some of the remarks being about weight and such. Warning, might be a bit of a long read too. Feeling ranty :frown:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Spock's Socks
Family, eh? Really upset and angry at what my gran said today. I'll add a spoiler due to some of the remarks being about weight and such. Warning, might be a bit of a long read too. Feeling ranty :frown:

Spoiler

:hugs: That is so mean of your gran, honestly! I agree with you, stick to your guns and don't go, because it is not right or fair of her to treat you or your boyfriend like.
Original post by Airmed
:hugs: That is so mean of your gran, honestly! I agree with you, stick to your guns and don't go, because it is not right or fair of her to treat you or your boyfriend like.

:hugs:

Yeah I'm just sick of her attitude, its been like this for years. I love my gran to death but she can be so selfish and heartless at times, whether she means to be or not. She says she sees Callan like an actual grandson after 7 years so if she can be that cruel to me at times, no wonder she is like that to him now. I've decided to use the money I'd have spent on the meal on either a trip to the hairdressers next week for my birthday or treat me and Callan to a meal somewhere
I've finally made my mind up. Just not sure how to go about it now. I can't face making this leap, not right now. :cry: 30 hours isn't going to be possible for me at the moment without screwing my body up even more and i seriously can't face telling them that. :hide:

Which exam was that?

-------

I need an A* in maths (or further maths but that won't be happening) to go to my firm uni, and after a horrible exam this morning, I will need pretty much full marks in my other core maths paper in order to achieve that :frown: I'm gutted because I did all of the past papers and recently have been getting almost full marks in them, and then this paper comes along and it's completely different to any other :frown:

Anon 6
*** Oh and also I was practically crying in the exam :frown: I'm feeling so disheartened now. Terrified that the other paper is also going to be absolutely awful

Anon 6

Latest