The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 4B Pre-release

Scroll to see replies

Anyone know what the current rules are for fracking in national parks? And what is the closest national park to the proposed sites in Lancashire? :smile:
In p4- does 'coal and gas' refer to shale gas?
Reply 382
Original post by Language student
No I don't :frown: My teacher is rubbish... what is a pilot study?

Its basically a smaller pre-test of the actual study that`s used on a smaller sample. E.g Carrying out the questionnaire on a couple of people

Its helpful because it allows you to identify possible issues/flaws in the questions askedthat could later be improved upon for the original questionnaire.
what is the difference between upper and lower bowland????????????
Reply 384
to all the people asking for the zigzag practice papers & mark schemes
Original post by Lavender26

I thought it was coal and gas-fired power stations fitted with CCS but im not sure
I'm confused on the sampling can anyone help? Like how is it stratified and random ect.
any political issues or benefits of fracking?
Reply 388
Original post by Cathy678
Anyone know what the current rules are for fracking in national parks? And what is the closest national park to the proposed sites in Lancashire? :smile:

they're not supposed to do it as it is contrary to the principles of what an NP stands for but last year the govt passed legislation (Infrastructure Act) which overrides this.

Closest NP is probably Fylde Peak District park (I think!).
Reply 389
Original post by Cathy678

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/dec/16/fracking-under-national-parks-approved-by-mps-amid-acrimony
what are the rights on the USA mineral reserve compared to the UK?
Original post by Lavender26

CSS
Original post by Hello278910
any political issues or benefits of fracking?

Political issues -
Figure P4 - if there is such an invested interest in increasing renwables in the future, why is the Conservative government so pro fracking which is non-renewable
Government plan to cut taxes from fracking companies to 30% - problems with there being current cuts to things such as the NHS and eduction, is it wise to cut taxes on fracking just to make it more attractive to fracking companies

Benefits of fracking are so many -
Just a few - USA experience of Marcellus shale - I'm sure you have pros & cons to these
just extracting 10% from Bowland - can meet demand for next 25 yrs
Is the most attractive alternative due to the decline in coal, lack of energy security from gas imports, uncertainty on nuclear power and the fact that we can never go 100% renewable due climatic restraints of the UK
More jobs - especially in the north - can bridge the north/south divide
The UK will be energy secure - we have experienced what it's like to be energy insecure in 1972 and 1979
(edited 7 years ago)
PLEASE RESPOND
whats the purpose of the AIB i know its a stupid question, but are we expected to reference relevant parts throughout the exam? or will they tell us what to reference for certain questions.
also if anyone can send me their AIB annotated with SPEED that would be greatly appreciated, I've started doing it myself but I don't trust myself. thanks in advance.
Original post by Hello278910
what is the difference between upper and lower bowland????????????

the upper is a higher band of shale rock and the lower is a band underneath and both perspective is both of them together.

just think of it a bands/ layers of rock strata
Original post by badboyblonde69
PLEASE RESPOND
whats the purpose of the AIB i know its a stupid question, but are we expected to reference relevant parts throughout the exam? or will they tell us what to reference for certain questions.
also if anyone can send me their AIB annotated with SPEED that would be greatly appreciated, I've started doing it myself but I don't trust myself. thanks in advance.

you need the AIB to be able to answer the questions eg: Q look at figure P2&P4 and compare them and suggest etc...

you also can reference it in other questions eg. Q what are the concerns of fracking.
it is there as the back ground information that you then build on

the speed isnt that improtant honestly
Original post by badboyblonde69
PLEASE RESPOND

They may ask a question and state one or two of the items but you can reference other items as long as you still stick with the ones they said in the question. For all the questions any outside knowledge is allowed.
And yes quote it directly as much as you can bringing in ideas from different items.
It'll never be such a closed question that you couldn't bring in your own knowledge/other stuff from other items for high mark questions
Original post by isabelle12345
what are the rights on the USA mineral reserve compared to the UK?

look at pg 17/8
Original post by maridonna
they're not supposed to do it as it is contrary to the principles of what an NP stands for but last year the govt passed legislation (Infrastructure Act) which overrides this.

Closest NP is probably Fylde Peak District park (I think!).

I live in the Fylde and i have never heard of that? I assumed closest would be the lake district ?
Original post by clarypops
you need the AIB to be able to answer the questions eg: Q look at figure P2&P4 and compare them and suggest etc...

you also can reference it in other questions eg. Q what are the concerns of fracking.
it is there as the back ground information that you then build on

the speed isnt that improtant honestly

that makes sense thanks a lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending