The Student Room Group

Aqa religious studies a2 ethics rst3a - free will, virtue ethics, science, et al.

Scroll to see replies

how did it go for you guys sitting rst3a today?
Well that sucked. Virtue ethics and Free will, I'm here to see if anyone else put what I did. What did other people put? 😱🍍
Original post by effieallen
Well that sucked. Virtue ethics and Free will, I'm here to see if anyone else put what I did. What did other people put? 😱🍍

The idea that eudaimonia is ultimately the highest good
for the if virtue ethics would work without eudaimonia question for yes I put "if people are only doing doing their virtue with the incestive of reaching eudimonia as a means of end then this is selfish and they aren't really virtuous people. This is likewise for example to a christian who is only helping the poor to get into heave.
This is good, i did that too. I feel like I waffled though and possibly not accurately. Talked about the soul and how happiness is the soul working excellently in accordance with virtue, and then listed the virtues. Was definitely my weakest question. The four causes were in there somewhere too. I think I explained it rather than explaining its role. Bums.

I actually argued virtue ethics wouldn't work without eudaimonia though, initially saying what you said. But arguing against because it would be kind of deontological without it, saying we should be virtuous but not able to say why, and Anscombe's point about growing secularisation and eudaimonia gives us laws if there's no God. Anyone else at all argue that?

I'm sat as a private candidate so had no one at all to compare with 😞
i said that for eudaimonia itself to not be possible it must mean that achieving virtues themselves must be impossible because eudaimonia comes about as a result of perfecting virtues
what about sexual ethics?
Nobody In my class did sexual ethics although the question wasn't as bad. But what did y'all say about religious perspectives on libertarianism it was hard to come up with points 😬
SAME!!!!
Original post by Chlorine.sampaio
Nobody In my class did sexual ethics although the question wasn't as bad. But what did y'all say about religious perspectives on libertarianism it was hard to come up with points 😬

we werent taught about sexual ethics because no one used to do the questions but i was reading them just thinking im sure i could wing this AO2. but i think i failed terribly, apparently we were supposed to write about Swinburne (not that i remember what he did) but i started writing crap about volition and conscience because i had no actual clue what i was doing lol. What did you put?
Original post by katieMCR
we werent taught about sexual ethics because no one used to do the questions but i was reading them just thinking im sure i could wing this AO2. but i think i failed terribly, apparently we were supposed to write about Swinburne (not that i remember what he did) but i started writing crap about volition and conscience because i had no actual clue what i was doing lol. What did you put?

my class was literally never taught about swinburne in free will so im pretty sure nobody mentioned that, i did pretty much the same thing as you in terms of the conscience thing i also mentioned aquinas and the roman catholics but the ao2 was annoying i missed out a few things
Original post by AdeLevel
my class was literally never taught about swinburne in free will so im pretty sure nobody mentioned that, i did pretty much the same thing as you in terms of the conscience thing i also mentioned aquinas and the roman catholics but the ao2 was annoying i missed out a few things

OMG Swineburne what? He's not even in the revision guide for free will :O, most people in my classed talked about the conscience which my teacher said it was fine, I spoke about the Catholic Church and Aquinas, as well as Aquinas's view of conscience and how he believes we have free will, But then i also spoke about the libertarian scholars such as Satre and Mill so I don't actually know anymore.

The AO2 was alright for me but i wished the AO2 was the AO1 instead because there was so much more to talk about for that, I just hope religious experience isn't a bad paper :/
did anyone do science & technology and VE? I forgot to capitalise VE in the essays, is that going to be an issue?!
Original post by popbop321
did anyone do science & technology and VE? I forgot to capitalise VE in the essays, is that going to be an issue?!

I don't think so, but hey you never know AQA is like the *****iest exam board, they pretty much hate us, and I did VE but not science and technology. VE was not bad but then again I don't wanna be too confident because AQA is a snake, the AO2 was quite challenging though! how did you find it?
I don't think so, but hey you never know AQA is like the *****iest exam board, they pretty much hate us, and I did VE but not science and technology. VE was not bad but then again I don't wanna be too confident because AQA is a snake, the AO2 was quite challenging though! how did you find it?

The A02 was challenging wasn't it? I thought it was unfair to focus two questions entirely on eudaimonia, it just didn't feel there was enough content without repeating yourself. I really thought application of VE would come up!
OMG Swineburne what? He's not even in the revision guide for free will :O, most people in my classed talked about the conscience which my teacher said it was fine, I spoke about the Catholic Church and Aquinas, as well as Aquinas's view of conscience and how he believes we have free will, But then i also spoke about the libertarian scholars such as Satre and Mill so I don't actually know anymore.

The AO2 was alright for me but i wished the AO2 was the AO1 instead because there was so much more to talk about for that, I just hope religious experience isn't a bad paper :/

its apparently about omniscience and omnipotence of god for Swinburne but i have no clue how that fits into the questions. I'm glad i'm not the only one to talk about conscience though, when i told my teacher i put about conscience and not swinburne he looked so disappointed and the whole time i felt like i majorly f****d up my exam paper, he said i'd get a few marks but it didnt sound promising so i felt terrible the whole day yesterday. I'm glad your teacher said it was fine however. Gives me more hope :smile:
Original post by katieMCR
its apparently about omniscience and omnipotence of god for Swinburne but i have no clue how that fits into the questions. I'm glad i'm not the only one to talk about conscience though, when i told my teacher i put about conscience and not swinburne he looked so disappointed and the whole time i felt like i majorly f****d up my exam paper, he said i'd get a few marks but it didnt sound promising so i felt terrible the whole day yesterday. I'm glad your teacher said it was fine however. Gives me more hope :smile:

at the end of the day there is no definite answer in this subject so dont worry!
I didn't put anything about Swinburne either. For the AO1 I wrote a paragraph on Aquinas, Butler, Modern scholars on conscience and I think I wrote something else not about conscience but I can't remember now. And for AO2, how Adam and Eve were free and were punished so as humans we have moral responsibility and God gave us free will but, we always have to follow our conscience or absolutist rules (Aquinas' catholic thing) which isn't too libertarian, and how God's omniscience and omnipresence makes free will impossible so you can't be a religious libertarian.

Virtue ethics genuinely sucked though, rubbish questions.
anyone doing science and technology???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending