The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 4B Pre-release

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sa13
First question - i wrote how we had relied on abundance of nstural resources in past. Then how there has been increase of using natural gas since 1990 but our north sea gas running out. Now net importer so no energy security and vonerable to changes which is an issue. Then said fracking could solve this but issues with fracking and explained them..and so forth. Then said renewables wont come into play till 2030 so fracking could bridge gap. - overall issues over energy security and whether to frack. ... is that right sorta lines? .. also for cuadrilla at rosacre- i talked about how they did reduce risk but then how there were still risks to locals and eviroment. Then spoke about benefits. gov gets 2/3 profit in tax so more money to spend on national services ie nhs. National energy security and local jobs... is that along the right lines?

I wrote about the same too
Original post by Sacred Ground
I wrote about the same too

Basically wrote this aswell. Thought it was an ok paper. First question I did think was hard but as paper progressed got easier. A lot could have been written for the questions if there was more time.
Original post by Harvey1997
Basically wrote this aswell. Thought it was an ok paper. First question I did think was hard but as paper progressed got easier. A lot could have been written for the questions if there was more time.

I felt like i wrote so much.. and still had 5 minutes to spare :biggrin: thought it was a relatively nice paper.
Can everyone remember roughly what each question asked and how many marks it was worth??
Original post by Samsmith12345
Can everyone remember roughly what each question asked and how many marks it was worth??

Seconded. Can't remember except the last question was 15.
1= 12 marks (energy)
2= 8 marks (rock type and extraction)
3= 15 (roseacre and Cuadrilla)
4= 10 marks (regulation)
5 = 15 marks (survey)
For the last question i talked about how i would physically conduct the survey and not about the questions themselves. Did i f**k up?
Original post by mohammed.
For the last question i talked about how i would physically conduct the survey and not about the questions themselves. Did i f**k up?

I think that's fine, I spoke about it all bc the question just said how you would assemble the survey and not the survey themselves

I think I said something along the lines of:

- hypothesis and null hypothesis
- systematic and stratified techniques
- methods of getting opinions (door to door/postal surveys/pilot survey)
- questions - open/closed + examples (and why you'd chose that)
- how you'd present data to prove hypothesis (chi-squared)

I don't thin the questions would be worth that much so it's fine, you could probably get at least 10/15

Tbh I think this question was the only one I did okay in as my teacher only went through the survey and I had biology this afternoon so could barely revise either
Reply 568
Original post by mohammed.

nope
Reply 569
for the one about how cuadrilla had regulations that protected the environment and public and the wider benefit for uk-

I was mostly saying the positives about their policies like the limiting noise to 42 decibels at night reduces social impacts, something from item 5 about preventing like water and gass from seeping into the rocks to hinder environmental impacts.. also about the seismometers and the traffic light system and mentioned how it would Reduce concerns over seismic tremors which people have because of 2011
And also about how by having these regulations will allow them to produce energy for the uk for greater energy security and to bridge the gap until technology has improved so that we can produce more electricity from renewables therefore becoming more sustainable in the future

kinda feel like I said loads of irrelevant things and wasn't answering the questions correctly for most of them tbh
also spent so long figuring out what to say on the first one that i only had like 10 mins for the last question and only wrote about a page and a half- RIP me xxxx
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hattie_Hats
I think that's fine, I spoke about it all bc the question just said how you would assemble the survey and not the survey themselves

I think I said something along the lines of:

- hypothesis and null hypothesis
- systematic and stratified techniques
- methods of getting opinions (door to door/postal surveys/pilot survey)
- questions - open/closed + examples (and why you'd chose that)
- how you'd present data to prove hypothesis (chi-squared)

I don't thin the questions would be worth that much so it's fine, you could probably get at least 10/15

Tbh I think this question was the only one I did okay in as my teacher only went through the survey and I had biology this afternoon so could barely revise either

Shoot, I didn't mention methods of getting opinions I just briefly mentioned pilot study and stratified techniques...
Reply 571
for the one about Mike hill I spoke about:

-truck movements, water contamination and noise levels and how they could regulate it

-then spoke generally about how they could hold a public hearing or something where they can take into consideration views of the public? is that even possible to do lol idk
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Language student
Shoot, I didn't mention methods of getting opinions I just briefly mentioned pilot study and stratified techniques...

I legit just said "use a combination of door to door surveys and postal surveys to get a wider range of opinions" so I'll hardly be getting loads of marks for it, I wouldn't worry

I messed up the rest of the test anyway :frown:
Reply 573
think i did the first question wrong-

I quoted some stuff from figure 1 then spoke about the decline of coal because of the increase in other industries and mentioned the miners strike in 1984- also spoke about renewables and the eu renewable energy directive then spoke about nuclear and the opening of only one new nuclear plant Hinkley point.

spent way too long thinking of all of that so didn't have time to mention gas and fracking lol which is quite ironic
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok i think i messed up, i walked out the exam and someone said about using the OS map and stuff i didn't read the question properly as i was so short on time! Were we supposed to? What question was it?!
What did people write for the 'not being able to extract all the shale gas from the area?'
unofficial mark scheme anyone???
Original post by Amylouise12345
Ok i think i messed up, i walked out the exam and someone said about using the OS map and stuff i didn't read the question properly as i was so short on time! Were we supposed to? What question was it?!

I did not use the OS map at all...
Original post by Amylouise12345
What did people write for the 'not being able to extract all the shale gas from the area?'

- a lot of it is too deep for us to access as we don't have the technology
- the uk is very heavily faulted and so makes it more difficult to frack
- it is not economically viable past a certain point
I feel like I had another point but can't remember it
Which figures did people use for the first question? I used P2,P3,P4

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending