The Student Room Group

Official OCR A2 Criminal Law 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by GFEFC1
Cheers, how likely is mens rea to come up on section A?

I personally think it's going to appear this year in section A and involuntary manslaughter in section B but OCR likes to do spontaneous acts lol so who knows😔
Reply 201
Original post by kaz786
I personally think it's going to appear this year in section A and involuntary manslaughter in section B but OCR likes to do spontaneous acts lol so who knows😔

Last question haha, is criticising case outcomes for example the outcome in Elliot with objective recklessness AO2?
Reply 202
Original post by GFEFC1
Last question haha, is criticising case outcomes for example the outcome in Elliot with objective recklessness AO2?

I'm not too sure what you mean...

For objective recklessness I use the case Caldwell. All you have to do is talk about how a reasonable person would have realised the potential risk of the consequence from occurring. For A02 I would talk about how objective recklessness no longer exists as it was unfair that the D could be convicted even though he was unaware of the risk - leads to unfair and unjust decisions made in courts
Reply 203
Gonna learn one more topic for section A so what would you said is easiest for AO2?

Intoxication, Involuntary Manslaughter or OAPA?
Reply 204
Original post by GFEFC1
Gonna learn one more topic for section A so what would you said is easiest for AO2?

What have you learnt so far?
And I would save involuntary manslaughter. It's much easier then the rest and is most likely to come up in section B
Original post by GFEFC1

We have to learn OAPA for our special study paper so I would do that & it comes up all the time
Hoping none of the general defences pop up in section A, and also hoping Theft/Robbery/Burglary/Murder/Involuntary manslaughter comes up for section B and C.
Original post by 0123456543210
Don't ignore the mens rea, even if you don't think it makes a great essay, you still would be required to apply some of its principles throughout the problem question, and even Section C ones.
btw. PM if anyone needs any relatively concise notes, I've spent ages typing them up and they seem like a nice way to revise since most of them are structured in such a way that resemble essay answers and include the key principles allowing you to answer section B and C questions.

Can I please have the notes you wrote I'm really stuggling? Thank you
Reply 208
Original post by kaz786
What have you learnt so far?
And I would save involuntary manslaughter. It's much easier then the rest and is most likely to come up in section B

Original post by Morgan_123
We have to learn OAPA for our special study paper so I would do that & it comes up all the time

Decided to have a look at intoxication and the AO1 seems pretty straightforward! Gonna have a look at the AO2 now. I may do intoxication as well as another (maybe OAPA but AO2 is so much!)

Up to now i've learnt for Section A; Omissions, Causation, Mens Rea, Strict Liability, Murder, Attempts and should have intoxication finished by the end of today. Do you think this is enough?
Original post by GFEFC1
Decided to have a look at intoxication and the AO1 seems pretty straightforward! Gonna have a look at the AO2 now. I may do intoxication as well as another (maybe OAPA but AO2 is so much!)

Up to now i've learnt for Section A; Omissions, Causation, Mens Rea, Strict Liability, Murder, Attempts and should have intoxication finished by the end of today. Do you think this is enough?

I don't think omissions will come up because they usually alternate causation and omissions which came up recently & Strict liability probably won't be section A because it came up last year

I've skimmed over ones unlikely to come up and in depth revised these topics:

- OAPA
- Intoxication
- Theft
- Causation
- Robbery and burglary
- Involuntary Manslaughter
Reply 210
I don't think omissions will come up because they usually alternate causation and omissions which came up recently & Strict liability probably won't be section A because it came up last year

I've skimmed over ones unlikely to come up and in depth revised these topics:

- OAPA
- Intoxication
- Theft
- Causation
- Robbery and burglary
- Involuntary Manslaughter

If you're right then thats me pretty much screwed haha. I really don't think we can predict whats gonna come up though after they had Statutory Interpretation in AS 3 years on the run! Out of those, which would you say is easiest to learn AO2 (excluding causation)? I'd say i'm strongest with invol manslaughter, intoxication and OAPA for AO1... so preferably choose out of them 3.
Reply 211
Original post by 0123456543210
Don't ignore the mens rea, even if you don't think it makes a great essay, you still would be required to apply some of its principles throughout the problem question, and even Section C ones.
btw. PM if anyone needs any relatively concise notes, I've spent ages typing them up and they seem like a nice way to revise since most of them are structured in such a way that resemble essay answers and include the key principles allowing you to answer section B and C questions.

Please could i have a copy of the revision notes
Original post by GFEFC1
If you're right then thats me pretty much screwed haha. I really don't think we can predict whats gonna come up though after they had Statutory Interpretation in AS 3 years on the run! Out of those, which would you say is easiest to learn AO2 (excluding causation)? I'd say i'm strongest with invol manslaughter, intoxication and OAPA for AO1... so preferably choose out of them 3.

If your predicted topics come up, I'm screwed haha
Um I wouldn't say A02 is the hardest part more A01 but probably Intoxication because it's really likely to come up aswell (But we have to know OAPA for special study paper so you should do that too)
Reply 213
If your predicted topics come up, I'm screwed haha
Um I wouldn't say A02 is the hardest part more A01 but probably Intoxication because it's really likely to come up aswell (But we have to know OAPA for special study paper so you should do that too)

Haha only time will tell! also, there is conflicting opinions on whether you need to include case details to gain AO1. Is this true or do you just have to state the principle?
Original post by GFEFC1
Haha only time will tell! also, there is conflicting opinions on whether you need to include case details to gain AO1. Is this true or do you just have to state the principle?

Yeah you can see by the mark scheme, A01 includes facts and cases and A02 is expanding this by saying advantages, disadvantages, reform etc.
Can someone explain the difference between a contractual duty and a duty through one's official position, please? Technically, wouldn't the latter fall under the duty of the former?
Original post by null.and.void.
Can someone explain the difference between a contractual duty and a duty through one's official position, please? Technically, wouldn't the latter fall under the duty of the former?

Both are contractual, but you may mention them both separately so as extending your answer. Use Adomako 1994 for contractual and Dytham 1979 for official position, main difference is that contractual duty covers any occupation, whereas duty through one's official position covers people who hold a public office, e.g. police officers.
Original post by 09876543211
Both are contractual, but you may mention them both separately so as extending your answer. Use Adomako 1994 for contractual and Dytham 1979 for official position, main difference is that contractual duty covers any occupation, whereas duty through one's official position covers people who hold a public office, e.g. police officers.

Thanks, though I'll be using Pittwood instead of Ademako.

How are you preparing yourself for the exam?
Original post by null.and.void.
Thanks, though I'll be using Pittwood instead of Ademako.

How are you preparing yourself for the exam?

Oh, I would use Pittwood as well, Adomako was just the first case I could remember that is related to a job.
At the moment I am just trying to survive my maths and fmaths exams, but when I flop them up I will read over my class notes and essay answers I have written during the year. I just need to refresh my memory since I constantly read over the law notes throughout the year. I feel like if there was anything to trigger my memory in the exam I could remember anything, but since there is not much guidance given it is quite difficult to recall small details. But, I'm still confused with that situation on burglary. Have you managed to find something out?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 09876543211
Oh, I would use Pittwood as well, Adomako was just the first case I could remember that is related to a job.
At the moment I am just trying to survive my maths and fmaths exams, but when I flop them up I will read over my class notes and essay answers I have written during the year. I just need to refresh my memory since I constantly read over the law notes throughout the year. I feel like if there was anything to trigger my memory in the exam I could remember anything, but since there is not much guidance given it is quite difficult to recall small details. But, I'm still confused with that situation on burglary. Have you managed to find something out?

Aah, I know the maths feels. I decided to drop it a few weeks ago (it was my fourth subject and was just too much). Best thing to do is go over it again and again before sleeping - though, I haven't been doing so myself, admittedly.

Yeah, I spoke to my teacher about it and she pretty much said the same thing as I did before I got confused.

Basically, it doesn't matter if D changed his mind on what he wanted to steal - as long as he entered as a trespasser forming the intention to steal before doing so, he is guilty under section 9(1)(a).

Refresh me on what you're confused about and I'll get back to you if what I've said doesn't clear it up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending