The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M2 - 17th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by target21859
Was the com question in metres or centimetres? Would you lose a mark for using m as a unit instead of cm?

I thought it was metres?
OMF so how many marks will I lose for part b?what's the total marks for part b?
Original post by hazzam
I got 15 too but what u had to do is work out the displacement between t=2 and t=3 because it said in the third second. Annoying question yes
Original post by Student403
I thought it was metres?

I don't remember what it was and what units I put but they wouldn't take off a mark for that? That's a physics thing. I know in reality it's a big difference but I'm hoping they count it as a misread. I probably put the correct units. I'm just really worried about M2. I really want A* in further.
I don't remember what it was and what units I put but they wouldn't take off a mark for that? That's a physics thing. I know in reality it's a big difference but I'm hoping they count it as a misread. I probably put the correct units. I'm just really worried about M2. I really want A* in further.

Understandable :smile:

I'm fairly confident it was metres
Their value of g is accurate to 2sf (well for some parts of the world? For you to be able to leave it as a positive constant it would have to have g in the answer but since 30/7 has no g value and we used g in the suvat equations, we can only leave it to 3sf max. I'm hoping you're right because I left it as 30/7. What did everyone else leave it as?

I left it as 30/7 but I’m kicking myself for doing so - I'm almost certain that it should be to 2 or 3 s.f. In the preamble for most of the examiners’ reports it comments on this issue and it even reminds us on the front of the papers. I think final answers with g should either be left in terms of g (i.e. 42/g in this case) or to 2/3s.f.
Original post by paddy10663
I left it as 30/7 but I’m kicking myself for doing so - I'm almost certain that it should be to 2 or 3 s.f. In the preamble for most of the examiners’ reports it comments on this issue and it even reminds us on the front of the papers. I think final answers with g should either be left in terms of g (i.e. 42/g in this case) or to 2/3s.f.

Oh wow :tongue: How did I miss that?

@target21859 I stand corrected
Was the com question in metres or centimetres? Would you lose a mark for using m as a unit instead of cm?

I can't remember if it was cm or m, I think in the exam I wrote cm but I think it was actually m. Oops sorry!
Original post by ombtom
Beautiful. Thank you. :smile:

Does 6 marks for question 3 seem particularly generous to you?

Not sure, it was an okay question, not like normal.
Yeah
Original post by paddy10663

Yeah it's really annoying. Grade boundaries for M2 are so high. I've hoping it isn't above 70 for 90 ums. Was the com in metres or centimetres? Do you know if you're penalised for using cm instead of m and vice-versa? I'm doubting myself. I probably put the correct units.
haha wtf is 1b my english is too bad
Original post by Pyslocke
For question 6 you say the angle was 73 degrees but your diagram makes it look like it was 73 degrees upwards. I think it was 73 degrees downwards because I think the vertical velocity at A was -10ms^-1

Fair enough, I was just trying to show the size of the angle, forgot about whether it's up or down haha. Sorry!
Original post by Mathlete2198
Fair enough, I was just trying to show the size of the angle, forgot about whether it's up or down haha. Sorry!

Haha, it's cool. Just making sure I wasn't losing my mind
I was just wondering if anyone had a clean copy of the exam question paper? If it's online anywhere?
Hi guys,

So I'm supposed to be revising for C3, but I remembered all the questions from 1-6. I'm really sad, sorry. If anyone remembers Q7 holla at me.

I hope that these are right, but remember, I'm a student just like you guys!

If you have any questions let me know.

I'm very surprised because I walked out thinking I got a D, as I convinced myself that I did everything wrong because the answers were all almost fractions and such. But I got pretty much almost all the same answers ( I reckon at least 57/75) :eek:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kkboyk
I'm very surprised because I walked out thinking I got a D, as I convinced myself that I did everything wrong because the answers were all almost fractions and such. But I got pretty much almost all the same answers ( I reckon at least 57/75) :eek:

I felt pretty similar, I thought I'd done badly. I wasn't too worried though because this was a retake for me (I'm an A2 student) I was surprised to see my answers were mostly correctly.
Couldn't do COM question, have some rambling but I think I did worked out distance of COM of lamina from DA wrong so my other working is all wrong but correct method? Obviously then my angle is wrong but the method is find it is correct using my scribbled out values (ooops)...

Then I did the angle of the speed wrong because I used the lambas for some reason so got 45 degrees which was stupid

Couldn't get e to be less than 1 in Q7 so did speed of approach over separation thinking I'd got my equation wrong and that yielding and I worked with that but it's all wrong following into 7c in that case

How many marks do you think this would lose? I have quite a lot of method so i'd like to think maybe lose 12-13? Or is that unrealistic?
Does anyone remember the number of marks for each question? Thanks.
I felt pretty similar, I thought I'd done badly. I wasn't too worried though because this was a retake for me (I'm an A2 student) I was surprised to see my answers were mostly correctly.

Yeah, I found that it was definitely possible to get close to full marks if it wasn't for silly mistakes all over.
If I got the centre of mass wrong, however did the 2nd part perfectly with obviously a wrong value, do I get full marks?
Original post by callum9977
If I got the centre of mass wrong, however did the 2nd part perfectly with obviously a wrong value, do I get full marks?

You'd definitely get method marks but I imagine you'd lose the A1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending