The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Well todays been a great day!
Im feeling great as my ocd hasnt played up much at all!
Im suprised but im loving it!!
If only i was like this all the time! :moon:
Does anyone have tips for anxiety attacks? I'm starting CBT in the next few weeks and am hoping to trial some medication but I'd love to know if there's anything that helps in the short-term? I keep getting really really bad chest pain and difficulty breathing and I have no idea what to do... I've tried so many breathing techniques but nothing seems to shift it :s-smilie: (I do yoga so I've tried deep breaths, lion's breath, ujjayi breathing, alternate nostril breathing (nadi shodhan pranayama) etc)

When I have a headache I can take paracetamol and at least hope for the placebo effect lmao, not sure what my option are when it comes to anxiety. Sometimes throwing myself a one-man dance party helps but I'm not always in the mood or it's inappropriate (if I'm at the bus stop or in a lesson haha)
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone have tips for anxiety attacks? I'm starting CBT in the next few weeks and am hoping to trial some medication but I'd love to know if there's anything that helps in the short-term? I keep getting really really bad chest pain and difficulty breathing and I have no idea what to do... I've tried so many breathing techniques but nothing seems to shift it :s-smilie: (I do yoga so I've tried deep breaths, lion's breath, ujjayi breathing, alternate nostril breathing (nadi shodhan pranayama) etc)

When I have a headache I can take paracetamol and at least hope for the placebo effect lmao, not sure what my option are when it comes to anxiety. Sometimes throwing myself a one-man dance party helps but I'm not always in the mood or it's inappropriate (if I'm at the bus stop or in a lesson haha)

sorry didn't mean to be anon, please reply to this so I get notified! :smile:
Does anyone know when it would be helpful to be hospitalised for something like severe depression? I just feel like I'm too depressed to do all the things I could do to make myself feel better, if yanno what I mean. At least in the hospital I'd eat and drink enough. I even forget my meds on purpose sometimes. I just think my behaviour is becoming too self-punishing that I can't take care of myself. Then again, I already feel like a waste of resources - I guess I don't believe I'd deserve the opportunity cost to the taxpayer. Maybe I'm just being attention seeking? Idk it feels like I'm just overthinking and magnifying the situation unnecessarily by even considering it.

Hello,
If you are in the situation where you aren't taking your meds on purpose, then I think that you need to be hospitalised ASAP.
I would go to the mental health unit at your local hospital. I would go straight to hospital rather than waiting around for another appointment with a doctor.
Don't have doubt or guilt in regards to 'wasting money.' You need to go to the hospital ASAP. The most important thing for you at the moment should be your mental health. Go to a hospital and try to get better. I wish you the best of luck.
Original post by furryface12
SH/scars question

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you got any makeup at all?
If not then I would suggest finding another pair of tights to wear.
Does anyone know when it would be helpful to be hospitalised for something like severe depression? I just feel like I'm too depressed to do all the things I could do to make myself feel better, if yanno what I mean. At least in the hospital I'd eat and drink enough. I even forget my meds on purpose sometimes. I just think my behaviour is becoming too self-punishing that I can't take care of myself. Then again, I already feel like a waste of resources - I guess I don't believe I'd deserve the opportunity cost to the taxpayer. Maybe I'm just being attention seeking? Idk it feels like I'm just overthinking and magnifying the situation unnecessarily by even considering it.

Hospitalisation is a difficult one. It is often used as a last resort as it is generally not the best place to get better, they can be very disruptive places.

However, if you are a severe risk to yourself (imminent suicide plan, severe self harm or severe self neglect) then an admission may be appropriate. If this is the case then definitely make an emergency GP appointment, contact your care coordinator or go straight to A&E.

If you're struggling at the moment which it sounds like you are, maybe seek a review with your treatment team? Are you with a mental health team? If not, maybe a referral there may be appropriate. Or the home treatment team is always an option.

Of course, if you are concerned, contact your GP/ care team or go to A&E if it is an emergency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bullettheory
Hospitalisation is a difficult one. It is often used as a last resort as it is generally not the best place to get better, they can be very disruptive places.

However, if you are a severe risk to yourself (imminent suicide plan, severe self harm or severe self neglect) then an admission may be appropriate. If this is the case then definitely make an emergency GP appointment, contact your care coordinator or go straight to A&E.

If you're struggling at the moment which it sounds like you are, maybe seek a review with your treatment team? Are you with a mental health team? If not, maybe a referral there may be appropriate. Or the home treatment team is always an option.

Of course, if you are concerned, contact your GP/ care team or go to A&E if it is an emergency.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, that's why I'm so conflicted. The other problem is I'd be unable to sit my exams and I know my mental health should be the priority but it's hard to prioritise when I'm struggling to admit that I deserve anything, even oxygen. Do you know what would happen with regards to exams? I'm yr 13 and the system is changing so the qualifications won't even be avaliable next year.

[trigger warning, SH/ED]

Spoiler

what do you think? Thanks so much for your previous reply btw
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FireFreezer77
Well todays been a great day!
Im feeling great as my ocd hasnt played up much at all!
Im suprised but im loving it!!
If only i was like this all the time! :moon:

Glad to hear you've had a good day! Hope it stays like that :hugs: sorry I didn't reply earlier, I've been watching the new series of Orange Is The New Black :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know, that's why I'm so conflicted. The other problem is I'd be unable to sit my exams and I know my mental health should be the priority but it's hard to prioritise when I'm struggling to admit that I deserve anything, even oxygen. Do you know what would happen with regards to exams? I'm yr 13 and the system is changing so the qualifications won't even be avaliable next year.

[trigger warning, SH/ED]

Spoiler

what do you think? Thanks so much for your previous reply btw

I would really suggest going and talking to your treatment team. Who do you normally see about your mental health? I think you need to see them as soon as possible and just talk about what has been going on for you.
Original post by ?Hannah
Have you got any makeup at all?
If not then I would suggest finding another pair of tights to wear.

Not really, not that would help anyway- I don't wear it. Yeah will do, thanks. Hopefully shouldn't be too obvious :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Spock's Socks
Glad to hear you've had a good day! Hope it stays like that :hugs: sorry I didn't reply earlier, I've been watching the new series of Orange Is The New Black :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please tell me that it's easy to get into... Not sure if it's just me or how I am at the moment but struggling to get into season four. I love OITNB but I think at the moment I'm just struggling to get into anything.

Side note, I have work tomorrow and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to last the shift. My knees are playing up and I have a very long day tomorrow. :cry:
Original post by furryface12
SH/scars question

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awww good luck lovely :hugs: i really can't think of anything apart from maybe thicker denier (think that is what it is called...) tights? anyway if you find anything can you please share? :redface: because might have to wear a dress for prom... :s-smilie:
first time in 7 years, want to wear a trouser suit with a waistcoat but dont think that would go down well :/

~Anon 1
I've been watching the new series of Orange Is The New Black :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it any good? I'm so excited about watching it but am too busy with my summer class atm.
Guess who got the lowest grade in the class.

:cry2:
Original post by Sabertooth
Is it any good? I'm so excited about watching it but am too busy with my summer class atm.

I'm watching it too. Having real issues getting into it but it's started to pick up now. (Issues are probably just a me thing though - barely slept last night. Yet can't sleep tonight.)

:jumphug: :hugs:

:hugs: x

This is totally irrelevant but i thought of you the other day because i saw your little avatar on someone's hat :redface:
hope you feel better soon :hugs: x
Original post by Midnightmemories
I'm watching it too. Having real issues getting into it but it's started to pick up now. (Issues are probably just a me thing though - barely slept last night. Yet can't sleep tonight.)

Yeah, I have a lot of difficulty getting into stuff recently too, it's definitely not just you :hugs:

:hugs: x

This is totally irrelevant but i thought of you the other day because i saw your little avatar on someone's hat :redface:
hope you feel better soon :hugs: x

O rly? That's surprising, the Panthers aren't that popular even over here nevermind the UK.

And thank you both, I've finally stopped crying but still feel like ****. :frown:
Awww good luck lovely :hugs: i really can't think of anything apart from maybe thicker denier (think that is what it is called...) tights? anyway if you find anything can you please share? :redface: because might have to wear a dress for prom... :s-smilie:
first time in 7 years, want to wear a trouser suit with a waistcoat but dont think that would go down well :/

~Anon 1

Thanks, yeah trying to find some. Really should've thought of this before tonight but oh well :redface: yeah I will, was very lucky we didn't have a prom in the end! Dresses are not nice. Hope you can though, have time to get the courage to :hugs:

:jumphug:
Original post by Midnightmemories

I'm finding it a bit hard to get into as well. Not as much drama as I thought there would be but I'll see how it goes. Gonna watch the rest tomorrow :h:

Its OK so far, I'm onto episode 5 atm and I would say that the other seasons have been more action packed than this so far but I'll see how the rest of the season goes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I have a lot of difficulty getting into stuff recently too, it's definitely not just you :hugs:

O rly? That's surprising, the Panthers aren't that popular even over here nevermind the UK.

And thank you both, I've finally stopped crying but still feel like ****. :frown:

Your welcome lovely... :hugs: only a PM away if you need a chat.

I'm finding it a bit hard to get into as well. Not as much drama as I thought there would be but I'll see how it goes. Gonna watch the rest tomorrow :h:

Its OK so far, I'm onto episode 5 atm and I would say that the other seasons have been more action packed than this so far but I'll see how the rest of the season goes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, I've only just finished episode 2, going to watch more tomorrow. Not as much drama yet.

--

In good news, on Monday I plan on getting signed off on my college course. It's been a long, hard slog but it's nearly over. Can't believe I actually made it. :woo:

Latest