The Student Room Group

How have this year's GCSE examinations been? What was the hardest/easiest?

This poll is closed

How have the GCSE exams been overall?

Very hard 5%
Hard 20%
Okay 53%
Easy 18%
Very easy4%
Total votes: 139
Vote on the poll.

What were your hardest and easiest exams?

What advice do you have for next year's candidates?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hardest - Maths and French listening (how could I forget?)
Easiest - Geography

Don't start revising too early or you'll just burn out and then you won't want to do any work when it actually matters :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by luciie
Hardest - Maths
Easiest - Geography

Don't start revising too early or you'll just burn out and then you won't want to do any work when it actually matters :smile:

Biggest mistake made this academic year.
It's been okay so far (hopefully) but I guess I won't know for sure til I get my results. I have to say my expectations for results have been gradually lowering as I have done more and more exams.

Easiest- Latin paper 1 or German Listening
Hardest-Maths paper 1 or Physics paper 2

Advice for next year:-
Most of the people I know, myself included, did lots of revision for the first few exams and a lot less for the later ones, make sure this isn't you. Also, I would say to make sure you understand all the topics in your subjects as you learn them so when you are revising you only have to jog your memory a bit and not waste time learning lots of new material in a short space of time.
They were okay - a huge range though!

Easiest: Latin Language 1, Chemistry Paper 2 (although that didn't stop me making stupid mistakes), and the beautiful questions that came up on my English Literature Paper 1 :u:

Hardest: Physics Paper 1, English Language Paper 2, French Listening, French in general...

Advice for next year: Relax before going into the exam hall! And make sure you don't leave something like History until the last moment. Make sure you are aware of exam techniques and tips for each paper. And good luck!
Hardest: Physics/Astronomy
Easiest: German

Advice for next year: Past papers, past papers, past papers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hardest: Physics unit 2
Easiest: chemistry unit 2

Don't start revising too early. Take it easy at first and revise more in the last month or so. Don't forget to do past papers. That's the key. And do not make the mistake of procrastinating. It has been the worst habit of mine during this exam season.
All of my exams were okay/good although i don't want to say that i found some easy because if I found it easy then i would have to get 100%. I found Physics hard though, never really enjoyed learning about it although some topics are so interesting :smile: I didn't revise much for it so i can't blame myself.

Past papers are key. I kid you not some questions this year were from past papers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hardest - Maths paper 1
Easiest - Media and English language

Advice for next year - Make sure you hvae made all your notes before exam season starts! The day before the exma you should just be reading over your notes not making them for the first time.
(edited 7 years ago)
'They were okay - a huge range though!

Easiest: Latin Language 1, Chemistry Paper 2 (although that didn't stop me making stupid mistakes), and the beautiful questions that came up on my English Literature Paper 1

Hardest: Physics Paper 1, English Language Paper 2, French Listening, French in general...

Advice for next year: Relax before going into the exam hall! And make sure you don't leave something like History until the last moment. Make sure you are aware of exam techniques and tips for each paper. And good luck!'
(Sorry, for some reason this didn't get quoted)

I really didn't like (CIE) English Lit Paper 1 actually haha :frown:

The poetry was OK (but I wish they'd done Laundrette or something, it could have been better...)

I panicked and mucked up the Spies essay (I did the PBQ) - then overused the word 'microcosm' to try to compensate... I made it a strong point in my conclusion, but now I'm not sure if it was even valid... :frown:

Oh well, we'll find out on August 25th. (Also, I agree about Physics. Paper 2, question 2, second paragraph for CIE Lang was hard too, but not sure about the rest. I don't do French.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Easiest: Unit 2 Physics, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Art.

Hardest: French Listening :colonhash:
Reply 11
Hardest - none tbh
Easiest - Maths
Easiest: Chem unit 2 lol,Physical Geo,Maths Paper 2(even though i'm not good at Maths),Eng Literature Paper 2,R.E Christianity,Chem Unit 1,

Medium difficulty : Human Geo(ambiguous),B1,p2
Hardest: Maths Paper 1,
Hardest: French & Spanish Listening, Physics, Maths Paper 1
Easiest: History USA, French & Spanish Reading and Writing, Biology, Maths Paper 2

I'm lucky that all the exams I found were hard had easy counterparts which will hopefully boost my grade up :smile:
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Biggest mistake made this academic year.

why was it such a big mistake, isnt revising earlier better?
Reply 15
Easiest: Latin Language 1 or Chemistry 2C
Hardest: French.... Add-maths....

And past papers are like the most effective kind of revision :smile:
Hardest: P2+P3 and Add Maths :/ :frown:
Easiest: They were all mostly okay. :dontknow:

I would say:

- Try to remain calm in exams... even when what you're given really isn't what you're expecting
- You probably know more than you think :tongue:
- Try not to discuss answers with people immediately after an exam because it can be discouraging or/and know that you don't have to discuss the exam
- If you need help at ANY point, ask your teachers. Even if it's 2 days, 3 hours or 15 minutes before the exam, they'll help you!

... + Past papers are your best friend. Do ALL of them!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by theBranicAc

theres only so much you can do, trust me
Reply 18
oooh and treat mocks like your real gcses so you can learn from your mistakes
Original post by theBranicAc

It's better but you get bored.

Quick Reply

Latest