The Student Room Group

Help? A level choices to do Veterinary Medicine!

What A levels should I be looking to do, in order to proceed in my chosen career... I know biology and chemistry are the obvious 2 but at my school we are encouraged t take 4 so I was considering maths... but im not sure what else as im not vvery good at physics and I don't enjoy it!

Thank you for any help in advance :smile:
Have you had a look at some unis and what they recommend you take?
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
Have you had a look at some unis and what they recommend you take?

Yes I have, due to not wanting to do physics it cancels some universities out such as Liverpool and Cambridge. However I've heard you shouldn't do an A level you don't like. It normally says that Biology and Chemistry at grade A are required, but then it goes on to say a third subject... I have decided I think I would like to do maths.

However as said in the original post, my school encourages us to take 4 in year 12 possibly continued into year 13.
Original post by Future_vet99
Yes I have, due to not wanting to do physics it cancels some universities out such as Liverpool and Cambridge.

Not sure where you've read that; neither of those universities require physics for vet med. None of the other vet schools do either. Cambridge highly recommend a third science, but as you've said maths can cover that if you're interested in applying there. For the other vet schools doing maths for physics confers no advantage at all over other academic subjects. I would therefore recommend doing a subject you enjoy that you think you can do well in. Some of my classmates at vet school have done geography, history, sociology, psychology, religious studies, English literature and French as their third A2 and fourth AS subjects.

Vet school A Level requirements can be found here, but as always I'd advise double checking on the websites yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Not sure where you've read that; neither of those universities require physics for vet med. None of the other vet schools do either. Cambridge highly recommend a third science, but as you've said maths can cover that if you're interested in applying there. For the other vet schools doing maths for physics confers no advantage at all over other academic subjects. I would therefore recommend doing a subject you enjoy that you think you can do well in. Some of my classmates at vet school have done geography, history, sociology, psychology, religious studies, English literature and French as their third A2 and fourth AS subjects.

Vet school A Level requirements can be found here, but as always I'd advise double checking on the websites yourself.

Psychology and History? Do you have any information on which of the two are more of a preferred A-level for veterinary medicine? Were they rejected/accepted into the university they applied for? Thanks in advance.
If you're planning to do Chemistry, Maths and Biology then you've pretty much covered your bases for vet science. However, if your school wants you to do 4 subjects then pick a subject you enjoy doing as pretty much all the vet schools only expect 3 A-levels. My friend who applied for vet science did the above 3 subjects as well at Latin so the 4th subject is really up to you.
Original post by confusedplant
Psychology and History? Do you have any information on which of the two are more of a preferred A-level for veterinary medicine? Were they rejected/accepted into the university they applied for? Thanks in advance.

Neither are preferred out of those two for most of the vet schools. They're both very good subjects. The only exception to this would be Cambridge, that don't accept psychology.

Yes, they got into vet school.
Reply 7
Most want bio chem and another science (which can be maths). The 4th isn't needed so chose something else you like, like a language, arts, history, whatever
Original post by Future_vet99
What A levels should I be looking to do, in order to proceed in my chosen career... I know biology and chemistry are the obvious 2 but at my school we are encouraged t take 4 so I was considering maths... but im not sure what else as im not vvery good at physics and I don't enjoy it!

Thank you for any help in advance :smile:

Have you had a look at our Vet Medicine university course forum?

Quick Reply

Latest