The Student Room Group

Subject selections as an IB student

Hello. I'm an IB student in Foundation year, meaning I'm starting DP next year. I need to select what subject I'm going to take by November but I don't know what to take. I want to go to a veterinary college so I want to know whether I have to take Biology and Chemistry. I want to take biology but I don't know if I can take chemistry as well, because they are both challenging subjects to maltitask.
I would like to know if chemistry is also required to go to a veterinary college. And if math is required to take in HL(higher level) or if its fine in SL(standard level).

I would also like to know if there are any other kind of jobs that relate to veterinary other than veterinary medicine.
In terms of options, you are allowed to take both Chemistry and Biology, and I know of many people who did. Just be aware that Biology is very content heavy (I don't know about Chemistry). Can you check your course requirements for maths?
Reply 2
Look at the entry requirements at a range of different Uni - usually they only require two sciences at HL for Vet.

Bristol - https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2024/vet-science/bvsc-veterinary-science/ - 36 points overall with 18 at Higher Level, including 6, 6 at Higher Level in Chemistry and one of Biology, Physics or Mathematics
Nottingham - https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/veterinary-science/study/ - 36 points overall to include, Grade 6 at Higher Level Biology, Grade 6 at Higher Level Chemistry, Grade 6 at Higher Level in any other subject.
etc etc.

PS. Useful short online course about applying for Vet - https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/vet-school-application-support
Reply 3
Original post by Ailani
Hello. I'm an IB student in Foundation year, meaning I'm starting DP next year. I need to select what subject I'm going to take by November but I don't know what to take. I want to go to a veterinary college so I want to know whether I have to take Biology and Chemistry. I want to take biology but I don't know if I can take chemistry as well, because they are both challenging subjects to maltitask.
I would like to know if chemistry is also required to go to a veterinary college. And if math is required to take in HL(higher level) or if its fine in SL(standard level).

I would also like to know if there are any other kind of jobs that relate to veterinary other than veterinary medicine.

It's probably a bit late but I'm a current May 2025 IB DP student looking to study vet med and I have taken Biology and Chemistry at HL. I have always loved both subjects so it wasn't a difficult choice for me to make, both are very content heavy but I believe still manageable. If you want to study vet med I would say definitely take both at HL because you will both need the knowledge and almost all vet schools require it. For math, it is not required at HL by any uni and you can take either AI or AA it doesn't really matter. Honestly, I have taken math AA SL but regret not taking AI instead. This is my own personal experience. If you are in doubt, I would encourage you to look into the course and past papers for both and try not to be persuaded to pick one or the other by the people around you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending