The Student Room Group

C3 and S1 self-teaching over the summer.

This poll is closed

Should I learn C3 and S1 over the summer?

Sure, why not? 74%
No. Get a life you moron.26%
Total votes: 19
Hi all, this is a question particularly aimed at A2 students and beyond;

I have been pondering the idea of learning C3 and S1 over the summer. We have already begun learning C3 and will start S1 before we break up for the holiday. (in year 12 currently)

For this reason, do you think it would be a reasonable goal to learn the C3 and S1 syllabuses over the 6~7 weeks?

It is to my understanding that C4 is the most difficult and to attempt two a2 modules as well as an AS module, the chances of learning them all to a good standard would be hampered. With this in mind, I'd leave this until we cover it in class. Though isn't S1 easier than M1? (which I have done this year)

So for those who know, how long would it take to learn the two units? Of course it would vary from person to person and would be dependent on one's natural aptitude with maths, but any general guide?

Btw I am on track for 90%+ in C1, C2 and M1, getting high 90s on past papers etc... Quite happy with my understanding of all of those modules.

Some may say 'why learn over the summer when it is a break' but I like to take the view that by spending more time on something, I will be more likely to do well, also when I lose momentum with studying, I find it rather difficult to get back to it again.

PS: I am doing WJEC (if that makes any difference).

Thanks in advance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't know about C3 but I self taught S1 this year, with ppqs, in around 40 hours. It helps if you have done GCSE statistics, but it really isn't that hard of a module, pretty basic overall.
Original post by HasanRaza1
Don't know about C3 but I self taught S1 this year, with ppqs, in around 40 hours. It helps if you have done GCSE statistics, but it really isn't that hard of a module, pretty basic overall.

Good to hear :biggrin:
Reply 3
It shouldn't take very long to learn them at all, about a weeks time for all three modules. But - you should only do it because you're particularly interested in the modules content over "doing well in them" or "securing grades" or whatever. It might be a good idea to keep your skills sharp by trying some hard maths aimed at lower levels like the MAT or SMC/BMO.
Hi,

I am not familiar with your exam board but I am sure c3, c4 and s1 are somewhat similar across the board.

You seem like a smart guy. If you are willing to sacrifice your time, do it. I couldn't possibly see you achieving both C3 and S1 in that time, thats pushing it a bit.

I did S1 at AS level and achieved 100UMS. It's super easy and you could definitely learn S1 in the 6-7week period. If you did say a chapter per week you would easily do it. Its not a hard module at all, especially considering you've done M1, which is a harder module.

For C3 I would focus on learning trig/differentiation. Those two chapters take a huge leap from what you learnt in c2 and c1. If you achieved them two topics in the summer you would have completed most of the bulk of the work for c3 as the other topics are relatively easy compared to trig/dif.

Thats my advice anyway. good luck, do go out and enjoy the sun a bit.
Original post by asherdan1997
Hi,

I am not familiar with your exam board but I am sure c3, c4 and s1 are somewhat similar across the board.

You seem like a smart guy. If you are willing to sacrifice your time, do it. I couldn't possibly see you achieving both C3 and S1 in that time, thats pushing it a bit.

I did S1 at AS level and achieved 100UMS. It's super easy and you could definitely learn S1 in the 6-7week period. If you did say a chapter per week you would easily do it. Its not a hard module at all, especially considering you've done M1, which is a harder module.

For C3 I would focus on learning trig/differentiation. Those two chapters take a huge leap from what you learnt in c2 and c1. If you achieved them two topics in the summer you would have completed most of the bulk of the work for c3 as the other topics are relatively easy compared to trig/dif.

Thats my advice anyway. good luck, do go out and enjoy the sun a bit.

Thank you for your in depth and thorough advice. :wink:
Reply 6
I'd just do S1.

You'll cover a fair amount of C3 before the summer, so I'd just do bits of S1 and practice the stuff you've done of C3.

Think about your PS and EPQ if you're doing one!
Reply 7
Original post by PedanticStudent
Hi all, this is a question particularly aimed at A2 students and beyond;

stop being a virgin go out have some fun you freak

I have been pondering the idea of learning C3 and S1 over the summer. We have already begun learning C3 and will start S1 before we break up for the holiday. (in year 12 currently)

For this reason, do you think it would be a reasonable goal to learn the C3 and S1 syllabuses over the 6~7 weeks?

It is to my understanding that C4 is the most difficult and to attempt two a2 modules as well as an AS module, the chances of learning them all to a good standard would be hampered. With this in mind, I'd leave this until we cover it in class. Though isn't S1 easier than M1? (which I have done this year)

So for those who know, how long would it take to learn the two units? Of course it would vary from person to person and would be dependent on one's natural aptitude with maths, but any general guide?

Btw I am on track for 90%+ in C1, C2 and M1, getting high 90s on past papers etc... Quite happy with my understanding of all of those modules.

Some may say 'why learn over the summer when it is a break' but I like to take the view that by spending more time on something, I will be more likely to do well, also when I lose momentum with studying, I find it rather difficult to get back to it again.

PS: I am doing WJEC (if that makes any difference).

Thanks in advance.
stop being a virgin go out have some fun you freak
Do it by all means - maybe start a week or two before the end of the summer holidays. But to be honest, make the most of your summer in other ways. Whether it's having fun or doing a part time job etc.
Reply 9
Don't. Enjoy your summer and do something productive. C3 and S1 are easy so you'll be able to learn them later on in the yeae as well.

It wouldn't take very long to learn these units. S1 about a week or two and C3 three to four weeks.
Well tbf you should do a bit of having fun and them. S1 is literally a week's work. I'd suggest that and relaxing a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest