The Student Room Group

Taking Art A-level 'for fun'

I'm sorry if there is already a question like this but I can't find it!

I know Art is a tough subject, I really do. I know it's not an easy cop-out A level and it takes a looong time to do coursework, but the trouble is I don't particularly want to go into an artsy career.Does this matter? Do Unis consider Art as a valid A-level? I'm interested in doing a sciencey degree like Zoology or Neuroscience so I don't know whether Art will be particularly useful. The other subjects I've chosen are Biology and Psychology.
I absolutely love Art and I know I would enjoy it if I did it but the question is whether I want to sacrifice that and do another more 'academic' subject such as a language or just take Art. Another option is to take 4 A levels but I've been told that they are much harder than GCSE's and that it would be really tough, especially as I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my grades. I also would quite like to get a job/do some volunteering as well as have some kind of social life!
Anyone got any advice on what they think I should do?
Original post by rm715
I'm sorry if there is already a question like this but I can't find it!

I know Art is a tough subject, I really do. I know it's not an easy cop-out A level and it takes a looong time to do coursework, but the trouble is I don't particularly want to go into an artsy career.Does this matter? Do Unis consider Art as a valid A-level? I'm interested in doing a sciencey degree like Zoology or Neuroscience so I don't know whether Art will be particularly useful. The other subjects I've chosen are Biology and Psychology.
I absolutely love Art and I know I would enjoy it if I did it but the question is whether I want to sacrifice that and do another more 'academic' subject such as a language or just take Art. Another option is to take 4 A levels but I've been told that they are much harder than GCSE's and that it would be really tough, especially as I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my grades. I also would quite like to get a job/do some volunteering as well as have some kind of social life!
Anyone got any advice on what they think I should do?

I originally took Art, Law, Maths and Economics. I took art because i loved it at GCSE, you may be told there is more freedom at A level, there is in the topics, but the mediums you use are structured and to be quite honest it is so boring. I dropped it after 1 week and went to study business studies. Art is valid for most universities, but studying art may impact on other subjects, and you won't be able to drop it after AS. Mabye consider maths, because it goes quite well with your subjects. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest