The Student Room Group

How difficult is A-Level art?

Currently in y11 doing art at GCSE and am toying with the idea of doing it at A-Level. At first I absolutely hated the thought but I like the idea of being able to do art (as knowing me, I'll end up with no free time). But I've found the workload of GCSE stressful AF and I work quite slowly when it comes to art.
Original post by leahjayne08
Currently in y11 doing art at GCSE and am toying with the idea of doing it at A-Level. At first I absolutely hated the thought but I like the idea of being able to do art (as knowing me, I'll end up with no free time). But I've found the workload of GCSE stressful AF and I work quite slowly when it comes to art.

The workload at A-Level is definitely more intense than GCSE. At least from what I experienced, you're expected to do larger pieces of art quite frequently, and a few more final pieces in comparison to GCSE. However, I also think that if you like art, or enjoy GCSE art at all, A-Level is fun! Personally, my other two subjects are both extremely essay based (I do both englishes 😵*💫) so art is really nice exemption from that, so much so that I find myself working on art a lot more because it's like having a break, so I find the time to get all of my art work done by the deadlines.
Reply 2
Original post by soldier_510
The workload at A-Level is definitely more intense than GCSE. At least from what I experienced, you're expected to do larger pieces of art quite frequently, and a few more final pieces in comparison to GCSE. However, I also think that if you like art, or enjoy GCSE art at all, A-Level is fun! Personally, my other two subjects are both extremely essay based (I do both englishes 😵*💫) so art is really nice exemption from that, so much so that I find myself working on art a lot more because it's like having a break, so I find the time to get all of my art work done by the deadlines.

Thanks for the response, and I do definitely plan on taking very 'academic' courses so it would be nice to break it up with art. Good luck with your A-Levels! 😁
Original post by leahjayne08

Thanks for the response, and I do definitely plan on taking very 'academic' courses so it would be nice to break it up with art. Good luck with your A-Levels! 😁

Thank you! And you with your GCSE's 😁

Quick Reply

Latest