The Student Room Group

Revision for WJEC English Literature A2 exam: help!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Antspitfire333
I am doing the same course: Blake, Measure and Malfi. Blake I can do (A in my latest essay) but the plays I cannot. We've been taught not to 'analyse' like we do in Blake, which is usually my basis of thought (how I actually do the english) is void for this part of the exam. I can readily recall/link aspects of the plays to relevant themes i.e the Duke 'appears' to be a Friar but in 'reality' plays a Machiavellian trick on Angelo (and the other characters), such was a question last year. However, this 'stating' is not enough: being 'critical' is, apparently, what I must do. Even then, do I question how is a theme included in a play, how successful that theme is played out by the characters or something else? My understanding becomes especially ambiguous when it is a one worded theme- e.g 'duty'- rather than something to actually argue against, such as 'Absolute power corrupts absolutely'. Teachers do not help.
Help me!!

Update: Turns out I do know how to do it! 3 essays that were an A!! :biggrin:
Have attached an essay that's 38/40- an A- if anyone is interested...
Reply 22
So how did you all think it went? Don't you think those questions were so weird?
Original post by AHC25
So how did you all think it went? Don't you think those questions were so weird?

hey, bit late to answer, but yeah they were so strange, not as vague as the usual ones that's for sure. I think it went ok for Blake, I feel as though it was the best anwer I have written for an essay. But I think the other side may have let me down a bit xx How did you find it?
Reply 24
Original post by Annemariexx
hey, bit late to answer, but yeah they were so strange, not as vague as the usual ones that's for sure. I think it went ok for Blake, I feel as though it was the best anwer I have written for an essay. But I think the other side may have let me down a bit xx How did you find it?

Ahh don't worry! I think that Measure for Measure was better! I struggled a little with the poetry (finding links to the unseen, not the analysis part!) but hopefully I pulled it off! x
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AHC25
Ahh don't worry! I think that Measure for Measure was better! I struggled a little with the poetry (finding links to the unseen, not the analysis part!) but hopefully I pulled it off! x

Everyone I spoke to after the exam said the unseens were really weird, so you're not alone there. I am glad you think it went well for you! fingers crossed you get the grade you want, I hope you do and I'm sure you will! (touchwood; don't want to jinx anything for you) xx
Reply 26
Original post by Annemariexx
Everyone I spoke to after the exam said the unseens were really weird, so you're not alone there. I am glad you think it went well for you! fingers crossed you get the grade you want, I hope you do and I'm sure you will! (touchwood; don't want to jinx anything for you) xx

Oh really? That's good then! Ah bless you! I hope you do too! xx
Original post by AHC25
Oh really? That's good then! Ah bless you! I hope you do too! xx

You deserve it, and thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending