The Student Room Group

Do universities give out more offers than they have spaces?

Hi,

I just wanted to know if universities give out more offers than they have spaces. I know for my course at Warwick (History and Sociology), there's around about 15-20 spaces. I've secured an offer for one those spaces, but was wondering, if universities do give more offers than spaces, if every offer holder meets their offer, will they just have to accept everyone? How would they be able to accept everyone in such situations if they don't have enough spaces?

I don't know if I'm right, but can someone explain to me how this works

Not everyone who gets an offer will accept it because they may have other offers meaning the right amount of people will actually study the course in the end.
Reply 2
Original post by samzy21
Not everyone who gets an offer will accept it because they may have other offers meaning the right amount of people will actually study the course in the end.

Oh okay, thanks :smile:

So say the right amount of people who get the offers for my course, so 20 places and exactly 20 people accept their offers, could they still reject me even if I don't meet my offer by like 1 or 2 grades even if there's enough spaces? Could they accept another applicant through clearing if they have higher grades than me although I've made commitment to the uni?
Original post by Onica

So say the right amount of people who get the offers for my course, so 20 places and exactly 20 people accept their offers, could they still reject me even if I don't meet my offer by like 1 or 2 grades even if there's enough spaces? Could they accept another applicant through clearing if they have higher grades than me although I've made commitment to the uni?

They are only obliged to accept you if you precisely meet (or exceed) the offer. I think it's up to the uni how flexible they want to be with people who miss a grade.
Original post by Onica

If you end up going through clearing, it's like reapplying in a way so you are likely to get a new offer. Probably an unconditional one if the course you want to study is eligible for clearing. It is possible for someone with a higher grade to be accepted over you if there are few places available but courses eligible for clearing usually have more than enough places available. Don't worry about it, you'll get into uni. It's not just grades that determine you a place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by samzy21
If you end up going through clearing, it's like reapplying in a way so you are likely to get a new offer. Probably an unconditional one if the course you want to study is eligible for clearing. It is possible for someone with a higher grade to be accepted over you if there are few places available but courses eligible for clearing usually have more than enough places available. Don't worry about it, you'll get into uni. It's not just grades that determine you a place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks.
I think I might end up with A* BB but my offer is AAB, so was just worried I might be rejected. I mean although they add up to the same ucas points, Warwick want individual grades.

I'll just have to wait until results, but I'm not optimistic

Quick Reply

Latest