The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Leniency of Loughborough for grades

Hi,
I was just wondering whether Loughborough are strict for grade requirements. I have applied for the criminology course with ABB and by predicted grades are ABB, but I'm not convinced I will come out with these grades and feel it may be BBB. If I were to get this, does Loughborough have a pattern of still letting people in if they've dropped a grade.
I understand that it's always going to differ from year to year but was just wondering how strict they are on these boundaries
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I was just wondering whether Loughborough are strict for grade requirements. I have applied for the criminology course with ABB and by predicted grades are ABB, but I'm not convinced I will come out with these grades and feel it may be BBB. If I were to get this, does Loughborough have a pattern of still letting people in if they've dropped a grade.
I understand that it's always going to differ from year to year but was just wondering how strict they are on these boundaries

dont know about them in particular but 75% of students dont achieve their offer grades and i know that half of mech eng students at leeds (which is a pretty esteemed course) get below their offer requirements. as you said though depends on the year but with a near miss like 1 lower grade your chances should be decent
(edited 10 months ago)
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
if I missed out on a grade for maths for aaa and got aab would I still maybe be considered?
Original post by benhudsonnn
if I missed out on a grade for maths for aaa and got aab would I still maybe be considered?

depends what course. end of the day, they would rank you against the other people who missed grades and potentially people who apply through clearing. all universities give more offers than they have spaces. if your course is maths based then your chances would decrease
Reply 4
Original post by user8937264980
depends what course. end of the day, they would rank you against the other people who missed grades and potentially people who apply through clearing. all universities give more offers than they have spaces. if your course is maths based then your chances would decrease

what about accounting and finance?
i assume maths is your most relevant a-level to that course. its impossible to predict but like i said your chances would be much lower than someone whos missed out a grade for english lit. also if it specifies an A in maths.

if you assume the course has 300 spaces, 400 offers have been made and 50% dont get their offers - youd be in the lower part of that remaining 200 that they have to choose 100 from. im just going off you missing your maths grade though there may be other factors in your application that make you much stronger. i wouldnt trust my chances so just do the best you can in your a-levels
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by user8937264980
i assume maths is your most relevant a-level to that course. its impossible to predict but like i said your chances would be much lower than someone whos missed out a grade for english lit. also if it specifies an A in maths.

if you assume the course has 300 spaces, 400 offers have been made and 50% dont get their offers - youd be in the lower part of that remaining 200 that they have to choose 100 from. im just going off you missing your maths grade though there may be other factors in your application that make you much stronger. i wouldnt trust my chances so just do the best you can in your a-levels

I think I will get the A in maths in more worried about dropping a grade in history or psychology
Reply 7
do you think accounting and finance is an oversubscribed course
If its oversubscribed it doesnt really matter that much as universities will have a cap on the amount of offers they can give. The ratio of offers:spaces given for oversubscribed courses will just be a bit higher than other courses. However if it is oversubscribed that may mean lots more people apply through clearing which will create more competition if you miss your grades.

I think the best thing both of you should do is just focus on alevels atm and do your best. Better to not try and guess if youll get the grades or not. Motivate yourself to do more revision by reminding yourself that you wont need to worry about this if you work and get the grades

I've only got 1 uni offer and thats a*aa so I get how you feel but just gotta put the work in.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

Hi there,

Great to hear you want to come to Loughborough!

I would check out this page and take a look at the 'What happens if I don't get the grades I need?' section and that should be able to answer you questions.

If you have any more questions about life at Loughborough or anything else feel free to get in touch :smile:

Jess
Original post by benhudsonnn

Hi there,

Great to hear you want to come to Loughborough!

I would check out this page and take a look at the 'What happens if I don't get the grades I need?' section and that should be able to answer you question.

Good luck with your exams and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Jess
Loughborough will only know how lenient they can be for any course once they process this years AL results. Even if they were lenient for course X in the past, they still need to wait and see what grades their current offer holders achieve before thinking about accepting near miss candidates.

It's normal to feel nervous at this time of year, and yes, you still might be accepted if you miss your offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending