The Student Room Group

S2 IAL June 2016 Edexcel Model Answers kprime2

IAL S2 solutions attached. The UK paper was harder.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kprime2

Spoiler

why is that wrong in the first part of the first question?
Reply 2
Original post by kprime2

Spoiler

PRSOM - Thank you very much for this. :smile:

Just a few things:

In 1(a), it said "fewer than", so shouldn't the inequality be strict? i.e. P(V<v)<0.75    P(Vv1)<0.75v=11\mathbb{P}\left ( V< v \right )< 0.75 \iff \mathbb{P}\left ( V\leqslant v-1 \right )< 0.75\Rightarrow v=11?

In 1(d), perhaps there's been a calculation error in the continuity correction - 80.57272=1.0017...1.00\frac{80.5-72}{\sqrt{72}}= 1.0017...\approx 1.00.

In 4(f) shouldn't the numerator be 25?

Do you reckon I'd lose the marks in 3(c) if I just said "the test is significant" and made similar comments in following marks?

I reckon I should get 72 minimum on this then. I see no error in any of the maths on my part, could lose marks here and there for commentary. :tongue:
Original post by Ayman!

Just a few things:

In 1(a), it said "fewer than", so shouldn't the inequality be strict? i.e. P(V<v)<0.75    P(Vv1)<0.75v=11\mathbb{P}\left ( V< v \right )< 0.75 \iff \mathbb{P}\left ( V\leqslant v-1 \right )< 0.75\Rightarrow v=11?

In 1(d), perhaps there's been a calculation error in the continuity correction - 80.57272=1.0017...1.00\frac{80.5-72}{\sqrt{72}}= 1.0017...\approx 1.00.

Do you reckon I'd lose the marks in 3(c) if I just said "the test is significant" and made similar comments in following marks?

I reckon I should get 72 minimum on this then. I see no error in any of the maths on my part, could lose marks here and there for commentary. :tongue:

In question 2 (ii) i found P(X=7) and then wrote down P(X=3) = 16 * P(X=7) but from some silly reason I then forgot the 16 and solved the equation P(X=3) = P(X=7) and ended up with p = 1/2 :frown: . Is there a chance i could get 2 marks from that part?
Reply 4
Original post by AlexFrangos
In question 2 (ii) i found P(X=7) and then wrote down P(X=3) = 16 * P(X=7) but from some silly reason I then forgot the 16 and solved the equation P(X=3) = P(X=7) and ended up with p = 1/2 :frown: . Is there a chance i could get 2 marks from that part?

I'd say you have 2 because your initial method was correct.
Original post by Ayman!
I'd say you have 2 because your initial method was correct.

Thank you !! Also in question 6a I read that the mean was 1 and not mode. But the mode happens to be equal to the mean and so my final answer was correct. Will i lose marks there?
Reply 6
Original post by Ayman!

Just a few things:

Yes you're absolutely right. Apologies, I did rush this paper. I have updated the solutions

I think you may get the mark in 3c. The mark scheme will probably have a list of few things you could put down.
Reply 7
Thank you !! Also in question 6a I read that the mean was 1 and not mode. But the mode happens to be equal to the mean and so my final answer was correct. Will i lose marks there?

If you integrated xf(x) then I imagine you could possibly lose a method mark
Original post by Ayman!
If you integrated xf(x) then I imagine you could possibly lose a method mark

Why would I lose a method mark?
Reply 9
Original post by kprime2
Yes you're absolutely right. Apologies, I did rush this paper. I have updated the solutions

I think you may get the mark in 3c. The mark scheme will probably have a list of few things you could put down.

No really, thank you for doing this - was looking more forward to S2 than FP3 solutions for some odd reason. :smile:

It's really my fault for not writing a more detailed response. I finished with ample time remaining and could have gone back to write more, but i spent the rest of the time worrying about FP3… If I miss 100 in S2 I'll be a complete idiot for doing so.
Why would I lose a method mark?

Because they said the mode was 1, not the mean. If the function was skewed, then your assumption wouldn't work. It all depends on how they set the mark scheme tbh.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kprime2

Spoiler

Do you actually think the UK paper was harder? For me, I sat the UK paper and found it trivial. This IAL paper looks easy too, however more mistake prone, opinion? Also do you reckon 70/75 on the UK paper which I got should be an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by iMacJack
Do you actually think the UK paper was harder? For me, I sat the UK paper and found it trivial. This IAL paper looks easy too, however more mistake prone, opinion? Also do you reckon 70/75 on the UK paper which I got should be an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think the UK paper was hard, just harder than the IAL. You can't really judge difficulty just by looking at the paper. I'd imagine a lot would have struggled with some few parts of the uk S2. You have to realise the average TSR student is much smarter than your average joe.
Reply 12
Original post by iMacJack

Posted from TSR Mobile

Idk i thought uk was harder because it was wordier, but a few friends of mine disagree. It's all subjective.

I think that should just be 90 UMS or 88 at worst.
Original post by Ayman!
Idk i thought uk was harder because it was wordier, but a few friends of mine disagree. It's all subjective.

I think that should just be 90 UMS or 88 at worst.

Yeah - I mean I feel like from looking at the IAL paper that I'd of done worse on that.. but who knows

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kprime2
I don't think the UK paper was hard, just harder than the IAL. You can't really judge difficulty just by looking at the paper. I'd imagine a lot would have struggled with some few parts of the uk S2. You have to realise the average TSR student is much smarter than your average joe.

yo bro was just marking my work and found an error you made, question 2a ii) p=2/3 not 1/3 i checked on calculator too both values just want you to check over to make sure
Reply 15
Original post by ricogordon235
yo bro was just marking my work and found an error you made, question 2a ii) p=2/3 not 1/3 i checked on calculator too both values just want you to check over to make sure

you must have done something wrong. My workings are pretty clear and they definitely yield p=1/3 there's no algebraic error there I've just double checked
DO U know how many mark for the part calculating n and w

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending