The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheArtOfThePoetic
Aww thank you for the kind words and advice, my trouble is I've only just started practising AR but I don't have a technique yet and I start stressing so end up clicking one of the options without recognising any patterns due to the limited time we have :/*
I find all the patterns really hard to identify anyway

me too at the beginning! it was especially stressful hearing people say 'its one of those things you either get or you dont.' i couldnt find most of the patterns at the start, but after practicing (ISC1000Q and Medify) they just came to me. the trick is to develop a technique to systematically go through possible patterns one by one (like SCANS). in time youll have seen enough to know quickly what kinds of patterns to look for.
Original post by Hugh Laurie
yes, it should be ok seeing as the score floats around the 560-80 mark the past couple of years, fingers crossed we dont have too many strong linguists this year ^^. how are you feeling about your scores and the schools youd like to apply to?

Do you know what is weird though. It is not just an average of 577. They in fact use three sets of questions which they distribute at random. The table below shows the results for each of the sets, which I have taken from the official report. For VR in 2015 there was nearly a .7 difference in the average number of questions on which people scored correctly. Form 1 was the worst for VR. This does not seem very fair. You would think they would have tested all three forms before to ensure closer results.

Untitled.jpg

Right now I am sitting here wondering whether I can be bothered to sit the BMAT in November. I am not sure I am cut out for the high brow universities. And I am already going to spend most of the summer doing work placements, the personal statement and thinking interviews. I am not sure I want to revise more biology and physics as well. Plus the exam is in November I think and so I would need to gamble as whether I actually do well at the BMAT and given my current level of motivation at the moment, all indications are that i will probably not do as well as I should. So, my focus is currently on UKCAT universities such as Kings, Bristol, Edinburgh and Hull/York. Not sure yet . I wanted Leeds too but they have switched to BMAT so that kind blew that one out of the water. The other problem is that you only have one personal statement and so I have to make sure I choose med schools which are looking for a similar type of statement. No point applying for Kings (who seem to be more academic) and Bristol (where they are more touchy feely) because they will be looking for different things and my statement cannot be one-size-fits-all. I am also toying with the idea of St Georges' because they don't look at the personal statement and that may be a good alternative to Hull York. I guess I need to do some more research.
Aww thank you for the kind words and advice, my trouble is I've only just started practising AR but I don't have a technique yet and I start stressing so end up clicking one of the options without recognising any patterns due to the limited time we have :/*
I find all the patterns really hard to identify anyway

Don't try to do AR in a timed fashion yet. Get an idea of the different things you need to look at. You will soon find that it becomes always a bit the same thing. No point doing Masterchef before you've learnt to cook! :smile:
me too at the beginning! it was especially stressful hearing people say 'its one of those things you either get or you dont.' i couldnt find most of the patterns at the start, but after practicing (ISC1000Q and Medify) they just came to me. the trick is to develop a technique to systematically go through possible patterns one by one (like SCANS). in time youll have seen enough to know quickly what kinds of patterns to look for.

Yeah that's true hopefully i develop some sort of technique either way! Thanks for the reassurance, also how were you doing on the practise sessions on medify?*
Original post by UKCATrocks
Don't try to do AR in a timed fashion yet. Get an idea of the different things you need to look at. You will soon find that it becomes always a bit the same thing. No point doing Masterchef before you've learnt to cook! :smile:

haha that's true I've decided I'm going to stop worrying about time at the moment and focus on getting the answers right :smile: Thanks! *
Original post by manya.june
Old ISC book with 600 questions in very cheap, around £6,

I am not really sure why you recommend the 600Q book when you said yourself it was out of date. It doesn't matter if if's cheap if that means revising from an out of date book. Surely it is better to revise from the new version which has 1000Q all up to date no? Or am I missing something here?
Hi I am resitting ukcat for the third time and have my test in exac 4 weeks and have not yet strted any prep. could someone pls tell me whether i have enought time and how to go about prep? i have the 1000 book .. thanks
Original post by wishingwillow
Hi I am resitting ukcat for the third time and have my test in exac 4 weeks and have not yet strted any prep. could someone pls tell me whether i have enought time and how to go about prep? i have the 1000 book .. thanks

Hi

I am in a way sorry to hear that it is your third time. What were your scores in previous years?

By now, you should be au fait with the structure of the exam I take it. I too revised from the 1000Q book and found it useful to go at my own pace to make sure I understood what I was doing. Particularly useful for verbal, abstract and SJ where there is no point doing timed practice before you are well versed. Depending on how long you have to work every day, that should take you about 2 to 3 weeks anyway. Then in the rest of the time, I would suggest moving to online practice. Personally I used Medify, which was pretty good. And then finish by doing timed practice on the UKCAT website. It might be an idea to do one timed practice on the UKCAT website before you start your preparation anyway, just so you can get a benchmark. Earlier I wrote a detailed account of my experience and the tips I would suggest. I have requoted it below.

Original post by Whoknowswhy
Hi guysI took the exam yesterday and scoredVR: 890 - AR:750 - QR: 870 - SJT -Band 1Used the Medify online bank and the 1000Q book by ISC Medical.Thought I would share some of my methods:VRThe texts in the exam seem to have about 300-350 words and so you can't possibly read all of that properly in detail and answer questions as well unless you learn to read fast. When I prepared I tried both methods :Method 1 - Read the text properly and then go to the questions, but then I found that reading the text without knowing what I was looking for was a bit of a challenge because you are never quite sure as to what you are supposed to remember. The key I think is to be able to process the information as you go through the text and in that sense it make total sense to read the questions first. See Method 2 below, which I ended up using in the end.Method 2 - Reading the questions first gave me an idea of they type of thing I needed to look for in the text. So when I prepared and also at the exam yesterday, whenever a new text appeared I used the Next button to see all the questions for that text before pressing the Previous button to go back to the first question. That way, when I read the text I could see more quickly what sections were pretty much irrelevant and which ones mattered.In terms of balance of questions, all texts pretty much had the same lengths and the ration of True/False v. wordy questions was about 1/3 True/False. 2/3 wordy. However I do know that one of my neighbours in the centre was complaining that he had no True/False at all, whilst the guy on the other side nearly had half ofhis questions as True/False. Given that the T/F questions tend to be easier I wonder how this is all calibrated.QRThe issue with QR is timing but I'm sure I am not telling you anything new here. And the trick is to try and avoid using the calculator unless you really have to. I know that some of the college friends end up using a calculator to compute 15x3 + 2.3 x 0 + 3x2.2, but obviously you can waste 10 seconds doing that. The calculator is pretty stable but doing it with the mouse is awkward.Difficulty wise, I had a mix of questions. Some really easy stuff (e.g. add up two numbers from a table), but also some pretty complex stuff. The complex stuff was complex for several reasons:frown:i) either it meant having to sift through long tables to find the correct information(ii) or it meant several stages of calculation. The challenge for those is that the calculator does not allow you to store much in memory so you have to make sure you write your intermediary calcs on the whiteboard.Some of the hard questions took me 50 seconds whilst the easier ones took maybe 10 second. In the end i finished the QR section with 2 minutes spare,ARAR was a real problem for me during the revision because I found it so hard at first was nearly in tears. I first did a few on the official website and got stuck for nearly 10 minutes on something that ended up being a fairly simple relationship. So what I did, instead of persevering with timed practice was to learn what I should be looking for so that I could spot it more quickly. That took a bit of time because for this one you really have to find your own way of thinking. But in the end you realise there are only so many things you need to look for e.g.:- Absolute/Relative position of objects- Absolute/Relative size of objects- Number of objects/sides/angles- Colour- Rotations / symmetries- IntersectionsWith that you cover 90% of the issues.But nothing will prepare you for it other than practice and getting used to patterns. Don't worry if it's a struggle to start with. It does get easier.SJTWhen you prepare for SJTs (and here again practice is key) you quickly realise it's always the same. There are questions about colleagues who are bad team players, who cheat, who say inappropriate things, etc. And in the end you kinda get bored with it. In the same that the questions are always the same, the answers are also always the same. So I would say the key for good preparation is to make sure that you understand the principles behind the answers before you do any practice. In that sense there is little value in doing timed practice for SJTs until you have understood why the answer is what it is. The way I did it is go through the official UKCAT questions and the ISC 1000Q book one by one and make sure I understood why the answer was what it was. Then when I did the mock exams I got nearly 100% questions right.DMDon't waste your time on that; it;s just an annoying distraction.Hope this helps

What have you scored in the past ? Where have you struggled in before ? 4 week is long and sufficient time, depending on how much you are investing in preparing. Will advise further based on your reply
Thanks for that. my scores were both in the low 600's. how many total hours prep did u do? and did you do all the questions on medify? also, how did you approach the wordy vr questions (not the true false ct ones)?appreci8 the help, thanx
I'm starting to think I was right yesterday ...
Yeah that's true hopefully i develop some sort of technique either way! Thanks for the reassurance, also how were you doing on the practise sessions on medify?*

I am beginner like you and I am also taking UKCAT and BMAT and I am confused but reading from all the post above, I am going to invest in some book not sure which one I will buy. I will invest some online courses rather than going on a course. My school offer lots of support anytime I'm stuck, Alex comes to rescue!!!!! :smile::colondollar::colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dangertiger
I am beginner like you and I am also taking UKCAT and BMAT and I am confused but reading from all the post above, I am going to invest in some book not sure which one I will buy. I will invest some online courses rather than going on a course. My school offer lots of support anytime I stuck Alex comes to rescue!!!!! :smile::colondollar::colondollar:

For UKCAT, most people use a combination of the ISC 1000Q book and Medify online resources. So try that as your first line of preparation. And then you can do the official questions on the UKCAT website.

For BMAT, I am not sure it is worth getting books. Make sure your revise your sciences properly and then you can do some of the BMAT past papers online
Thanks for that. my scores were both in the low 600's. how many total hours prep did u do? and did you do all the questions on medify? also, how did you approach the wordy vr questions (not the true false ct ones)?appreci8 the help, thanx

This is my first time (hope last one too).
I am as scared (read worried) like you. I am slightly paranoid and have a unique DISABILITY (:frown:) that I cant read same book twice. I am sending a tleast 3 hours a day doing questions, trying different permutations. I read somewhere that MENSA quizzes are like non verbal reasoning, abstract thinking so doing many of these. I am not worried about scores now. Just focusing on skills. Will do that later when I start doing timed preparation using the official website and papers.
Please do not get putoff by all that get said by diff people. Try to pick what works for you and what not. Eveyone has their own means. You should find yours.
Hope this help.
Do you know what is weird though. It is not just an average of 577. They in fact use three sets of questions which they distribute at random. The table below shows the results for each of the sets, which I have taken from the official report. For VR in 2015 there was nearly a .7 difference in the average number of questions on which people scored correctly. Form 1 was the worst for VR. This does not seem very fair. You would think they would have tested all three forms before to ensure closer results.

Untitled.jpg

Right now I am sitting here wondering whether I can be bothered to sit the BMAT in November. I am not sure I am cut out for the high brow universities. And I am already going to spend most of the summer doing work placements, the personal statement and thinking interviews. I am not sure I want to revise more biology and physics as well. Plus the exam is in November I think and so I would need to gamble as whether I actually do well at the BMAT and given my current level of motivation at the moment, all indications are that i will probably not do as well as I should. So, my focus is currently on UKCAT universities such as Kings, Bristol, Edinburgh and Hull/York. Not sure yet . I wanted Leeds too but they have switched to BMAT so that kind blew that one out of the water. The other problem is that you only have one personal statement and so I have to make sure I choose med schools which are looking for a similar type of statement. No point applying for Kings (who seem to be more academic) and Bristol (where they are more touchy feely) because they will be looking for different things and my statement cannot be one-size-fits-all. I am also toying with the idea of St Georges' because they don't look at the personal statement and that may be a good alternative to Hull York. I guess I need to do some more research.

i thought you averaged 700 something in your ukcat? is it a BM5 program youre applying for? i thought a score like that would guarantee interviews at most unis, and that a lot of them dont care very much about personal statements?
Original post by dangertiger
I am beginner like you and I am also taking UKCAT and BMAT and I am confused but reading from all the post above, I am going to invest in some book not sure which one I will buy. I will invest some online courses rather than going on a course. My school offer lots of support anytime I'm stuck, Alex comes to rescue!!!!! :smile::colondollar::colondollar:

Don't worry... People before you have passed the exam and people after you will pass the exam. All with good scores. You will too. Persevere. Is Alex your teacher ? How lucky you are ! Best of luck. TSR is a great resources.
i thought you averaged 700 something in your ukcat? is it a BM5 program youre applying for? i thought a score like that would guarantee interviews at most unis, and that a lot of them dont care very much about personal statements?

I did but that is no reason to produce a mediocre statement. Having talked to admission tutors I am getting the picture that they tweak their recruitment process every year and some of them drastically change. To give you an idea, Sheffield took people with UKCAT as low as 500 and now it's more like 750. Some care about personal statements, others don't. In the end the best policy is to do everything as thoroughly as possible so as to avoid any surprises.
(edited 7 years ago)
I did but that is no reason to produce a mediocre statement. Having talked to admission tutors I am getting the picture that they tweak their recruitment process every year and some of them drastically change. To give you an idea, Sheffield took people with UKCAT as low as 500 and not it's more like 750. Some care about personal statements, others don't. In the end the best policy is to do everything as thoroughly as possible so as to avoid any surprises.

ah of course. i hope you end up getting offers from your preferred choices!
Original post by NoMSGplease
I am not really sure why you recommend the 600Q book when you said yourself it was out of date. It doesn't matter if if's cheap if that means revising from an out of date book. Surely it is better to revise from the new version which has 1000Q all up to date no? Or am I missing something here?

All I am saying is that one should do as many questions as one can. How one does it, is totally irrelevant and up to the person. I am saying use 600 Q book because it is cheap. It is old and outdated in terms of not having the latest but it offers questions. As we need more questions, and updated info, a new book is necessary. Hence, I would supplement it with another LATEST updated book. There are plenty available and it is up to individual to choose which one they choose. I chose mine because of the question numbers, and cost. One can choose two or 4 books. I don't have that kind of money so I chose only two.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by manya.june
not sure if TSR community rule will allow me to post a link here. but you can google it. website is truly non promotional, I think it has something to do with the official UKCAT listings.

Great that helps...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending