The Student Room Group

"Child Genius" on Channel 4.

"Child Genius", from what I can gather, is a competition to find the UK's cleverest child.

I was amazed by the children's brainpower and sharpness, but their parents' attitude left me perplexed.

It seemed to me like the parents were treating their child as a little them, or, dare I say, a second chance.

I don't know if anyone on here has watched the show before, but did you get the same feeling?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Roast
"Child Genius", from what I can gather, is a competition to find the UK's cleverest child.

I was amazed by the children's brainpower and sharpness, but their parents' attitude left me perplexed.

It seemed to me like the parents were treating their child as a little them, or, dare I say, a second chance.

I don't know if anyone on here has watched the show before, but did you get the same feeling?

I had a similar feeling from some of the parents, i particularly felt happy for the child who was doing it with very relaxed parents and still did very well.
Reply 3

I watched it last year and really was impressed by their intelligence and memory even when they are at a very young age.
Reply 4
Will watch it now on +1, but most of the parents of these children do tend to be very over-bearing.

Ffs ad break
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
I had a similar feeling from some of the parents, i particularly felt happy for the child who was doing it with very relaxed parents and still did very well.

Which parents in particular?

I thought the French mum, even though her intentions were good, failed to put two and two.

Her son, who is obviously very smart, suffers from ADHD, so it's quite clear to me he won't do well under pressure in the environment the show puts the children in.

Nog's parents came across as calm and supportive. He's naturally gifted and his parents allowed him to create his own path.

The second boy, I think his name's Jonathan (half-Vietnamese)... I thought his dad was a dolt, and, how I pointed it out in the OP, is using his child as a second chance.

Lol and I thought I was good at passing my Grade 8 Piano at 17. :frown:
Original post by SoggyCabbages
Lol and I thought I was good at passing my Grade 8 Piano at 17. :frown:

:console:

i am sure you got a Distinction :h: *
Reply 8
Original post by sahana46
I watched it last year and really was impressed by their intelligence and memory even when they are at a very young age.

Me too, I was astonished throughout.

I just didn't like their parenting stance.
*Nog's parents came across as calm and supportive. He's naturally gifted and his parents allowed him to create his own path.

The second boy, I think his name's Jonathan (half-Vietnamese)... I thought his dad was a dolt, and, how I pointed it out in the OP, is using his child as a second chance.

i Christen thee Nog.... *
Reply 10
If my child turned out to be Einstein or Freud I'd let them play it out to their heart's content. I wouldn't selfishly impose my wishes and dreams onto them.
Reply 11
I hate watching Child Genius as you only see those poor children that are overworked and stressed battling it out for a prize (that btw is pointless as intelligence is not truly defined by the challenges used in the competition)
Reply 12
Original post by the bear
i Christen thee Nog.... *

Lol, I swear that's what he's called!

His parents are Paul and Sophie (I think). Where does Nog originate from? Or is it a nickname they gave him after a heavy night of boozing... egg nog *wink wink*
Which parents in particular?

I thought the French mum, even though her intentions were good, failed to put two and two.

Her son, who is obviously very smart, suffers from ADHD, so it's quite clear to me he won't do well under pressure in the environment the show puts the children in.

Nog's parents came across as calm and supportive. He's naturally gifted and his parents allowed him to create his own path.

I meant mog's parents, i want to parent like that when i have kids. I wouldn't have made that assumption directly (although i m dyslexic so get fed up with people assuming my brain works a certain way:P) , yes it was pretty hard for him but i thought fair play for having a go and she didnt push him to do that second round, although yes she did comes across as one of those second chance parents.
i am taking part :proud: just to let you all know
Original post by fatima1998
i am taking part :proud: just to let you all know

Why ?You are a funny,clever and nice to be around person.You have nothing to prove by taking part in rote learning competitions ,you are more than that and above that :h:.
Lol! I remember this show from years ago!
Original post by Kadak
Why ?You are a funny,clever and nice to be around person.You have nothing to prove by taking part in rote learning competitions ,you are more than that and above that :h:.

like your sarcasm :h:
Original post by fatima1998
like your sarcasm :h:

Not being sarcastic:s-smilie:,.Doing well in these competitions does not make any of those kid geniuses,they are really smart but not geniuses.
It would be interesting to see how those kids do ten years on,many of their parents seem pushy.
Child Genius is the only show that somehow makes me feel simultaneously really disappointed and grateful of my childhood :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest