The Student Room Group

Gap year 2017 medicine

Hi guys,I am on a gap year and looking to apply for 2017 entry. However, I did not apply last year. I really wanted to get more work experience, as I felt I didn't have much and I wanted to know my A level grades.
Here are my stats so far.
GCSE: 4A* 5A 1C( c in art lmao!)
AS level: AABB
A level - what I think I will get: A*AA
Work experience: 1 week in GP, 1 week hospice.
Voluntary: 6 months care home, 5 months in charity shop.
UKCAT: 635 last year...yet to do my ukcat this year.
.Gap year: I will be working as a healthcare assistant in a hospital... I got my job offer yesterday! I will also be volunteering in a hospice. I really want to travel across Europe as well with my friend...

I thought I will start it off, hoping others can join in with what their plans are...
(edited 7 years ago)
When I went into the hospital for my healthcare assistant nterview yesterday, and getting to know all the nurses there, and the atmosphere itself, gave me soooo much more motivation to pursue medicine. I can't wait to start my work and getting to also know all the doctors there.

What motivates you guys to become a doctor?
Reply 2
Original post by Optimistsan98
When I went into the hospital for my healthcare assistant nterview yesterday, and getting to know all the nurses there, and the atmosphere itself, gave me soooo much more motivation to pursue medicine. I can't wait to start my work and getting to also know all the doctors there.

just a FYI, although you will probably see the doctors about as a HCA, your actual contat with them will be minimal since they'll be so busy!

Your UKCAT last year wasn't the best, I would reccommend you get that score higher to be competitive.

As for what motivates me... difficult to put into words, more of a feeling, I remember struggling how to put it into my personal statement. In the end I think I used the classic science + people route, along with how my work experiences (volunteer at hospital 1.5 years, shadowed various doctors for 2 weeks and started HCA just before submitting my PS) to support why I wanted to be a doctor.

Graduate entry medic here
Original post by Freyr
just a FYI, although you will probably see the doctors about as a HCA, your actual contat with them will be minimal since they'll be so busy!

Your UKCAT last year wasn't the best, I would reccommend you get that score higher to be competitive.

As for what motivates me... difficult to put into words, more of a feeling, I remember struggling how to put it into my personal statement. In the end I think I used the classic science + people route, along with how my work experiences (volunteer at hospital 1.5 years, shadowed various doctors for 2 weeks and started HCA just before submitting my PS) to support why I wanted to be a doctor.

Graduate entry medic here

Oh ok thanks for the information!:u: But it's good that I get to work on the wards right, with a huge amount of patient contact?

Yeah I am working much harder than last year for UKCAT. I know where I went wrong
Reply 4
Oh ok thanks for the information!:u: But it's good that I get to work on the wards right, with a huge amount of patient contact?

Yeah I am working much harder than last year for UKCAT. I know where I went wrong

Whether you work on the wards as a HCA depends on the position you applied to. HCA's can work in out patients too, but yes. You will have lots of patient contact, probably far more than doctors since you generally won't need to type up notes/paperwork etc.

And its great that you're working hard for your ukcat! I applied a few years ago (back when imperial still had a 4 year graduate entry programme and required the UKCAT for it) and I used the 600Q book (now 1000Q book) and then I used medify. Main tip is to do as many questions as possible!
Original post by Freyr
Whether you work on the wards as a HCA depends on the position you applied to. HCA's can work in out patients too, but yes. You will have lots of patient contact, probably far more than doctors since you generally won't need to type up notes/paperwork etc.

And its great that you're working hard for your ukcat! I applied a few years ago (back when imperial still had a 4 year graduate entry programme and required the UKCAT for it) and I used the 600Q book (now 1000Q book) and then I used medify. Main tip is to do as many questions as possible!

I applied for the stroke/neurology department, and they said it will be really busy with lots of work. They said I could do blood pressure and several other things with the training.

Ooooo that sounds amazing...doing medicine in imperial must be fantastic! May I ask what year you are in now and how you are finding it?
Reply 6
I applied for the stroke/neurology department, and they said it will be really busy with lots of work. They said I could do blood pressure and several other things with the training.

Ooooo that sounds amazing...doing medicine in imperial must be fantastic! May I ask what year you are in now and how you are finding it?

your main task will probably be washing patients, changing their bedding, obs (blood pressure, heart rate, temperature) and taking bloods. To be honest, I don't envy you! stroke ward means that patients will proably have some mobility issues. which can make your job more difficult, but don't give up!

Its enjoyable! A LOT!!!! of work, don't think i've ever worked this hard before in my life haha. Can't wait to gradute but I know this is what I want to do!
Original post by Freyr
your main task will probably be washing patients, changing their bedding, obs (blood pressure, heart rate, temperature) and taking bloods. To be honest, I don't envy you! stroke ward means that patients will proably have some mobility issues. which can make your job more difficult, but don't give up!

Its enjoyable! A LOT!!!! of work, don't think i've ever worked this hard before in my life haha. Can't wait to gradute but I know this is what I want to do!

Yeah I understand hca can be really challenging at times, but I also can really understand how difficult being a doctor is at times!

Wow just keep going...u will be a doctor one day!
Reply 8
Yeah I understand hca can be really challenging at times, but I also can really understand how difficult being a doctor is at times!

Wow just keep going...u will be a doctor one day!

Thanks, and good luck with your application!
How did you guys apply for the healthcare assistant in a hospital because i cant get hold of a healthcare related job for my gap year :frown: i've been looking since mid June
Original post by FemaleBo55
How did you guys apply for the healthcare assistant in a hospital because i cant get hold of a healthcare related job for my gap year :frown: i've been looking since mid June

Hi.. Do u have an account on nhs jobs? There you can search for jobs. I applied to 10 jobs and got 2 interviews.

Have a look at the NHS website - that's what I did in my gap year. I got rejected for all the HCA roles though and mentioned is applied on my PS...they didn't seem to mind at interview when I said I didn't get them though, as long as I explained what I was doing instead (I.e. Increase volunteering elsewhere).**
Original post by usycool1
Have a look at the NHS website - that's what I did in my gap year. I got rejected for all the HCA roles though and mentioned is applied on my PS...they didn't seem to mind at interview when I said I didn't get them though, as long as I explained what I was doing instead (I.e. Increase volunteering elsewhere).**

Are you doing medicine at university now?
Are you doing medicine at university now?

Yeah, about to start my second year at Imperial (and am now wondering if I've met Freyr before... :holmes:)
Yeah, about to start my second year at Imperial (and am now wondering if I've met Freyr before... :holmes:)

Oh loool...
Reply 15

Haha, unlikely, I haven't spoken to any 1st years last year, mainly the 3/4 years

Hi guys,I am on a gap year and looking to apply for 2017 entry. However, I did not apply last year. I really wanted to get more work experience, as I felt I didn't have much and I wanted to know my A level grades.
Here are my stats so far.
GCSE: 4A* 5A 1C( c in art lmao!)
AS level: AABB
A level - what I think I will get: A*AA
Work experience: 1 week in GP, 1 week hospice.
Voluntary: 6 months care home, 5 months in charity shop.
UKCAT: 635 last year...yet to do my ukcat this year.
.Gap year: I will be working as a healthcare assistant in a hospital... I got my job offer yesterday! I will also be volunteering in a hospice. I really want to travel across Europe as well with my friend...

I thought I will start it off, hoping others can join in with what their plans are...

Your plans for your gap year look great! Make sure that you really make the most of the HCA job your going into, you will get a lot of patient contact and will really get a feel for what makes up the NHS team of staff you will be working with as a doctor.

As for your stats, I would advise you to try and do better on the UKCAT this time around because it will help your application.

As for what motivated me to apply to medicine, its really tricky to be able to put it into words if im honest. I always really enjoyed science at school, it was by far my favourite subjects and so I always knew I wanted to continue on with something in the science realm. I chose medicine mainly because of experiences I had during childhood with my auntie who was disabled, this was the first time that I had witnessed doctors and I found what they did fascinating. When it came down to deciding my career path I did some work experience and saw the role I would be filling and I couldnt see a better job for me, it allowed me to be a people person which is what I am at heart, as well as allow me to learn the science I was interested in. Its so complicated when putting it into words as its more of a feeling than a set of events, but that is the best I can do.

I have yes but there wasnt any in my area :frown:
So what did you do for your gap year though :smile:
Also this year because of my predicted i couldnt apply to med this year so i applied to biomed instead therefore if i get AAA min ( i was predicted A*AB) ill take a gap year and apply for 2017 entry :smile: the thing is if apply for the job and not end up taking a gap year can i still cancel the job offer???
Reply 18
I have yes but there wasnt any in my area :frown:
So what did you do for your gap year though :smile:
Also this year because of my predicted i couldnt apply to med this year so i applied to biomed instead therefore if i get AAA min ( i was predicted A*AB) ill take a gap year and apply for 2017 entry :smile: the thing is if apply for the job and not end up taking a gap year can i still cancel the job offer???

of course you're not obliged to take the job, they'd rather you tell them asap rather than starting the job you don't want and causing a disaster

There may not be anything currently, but its constantly updated, check daily.

Alternatively you should look at carehomes, i don't think these would be on nhs jobs site, so look for any near you and contact them about any possible job vacancies.

If there are any private hospitals near you, you could look into them too, they of course will not be on the nhs jobs site, but there are still hca opportunities there.

You could even ask your gp or any gp practices near by if they have any receptionist jobs. while this isn't clinical, it is still something you can mention since you're still having to deal with patients and healthcare professionals. Whielthis can be placed onto nhs jobs site, it wouldn't hurt to ask them in person, since sometimes they can be lazy to post job vaccancies there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending