The Student Room Group

iPlayer only? You will still need a license from 1 Sept.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Bad news for all the student (and many other) households who use iPlayer only - this will also require a TV license from 1 September. :sad:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/aug/01/bbc-iplayer-tv-licence-iplayer-loophole

This was part of the deal made between the BBC and the government. It was a sort of small carrot thrown to the Beeb to make them accept several very large canings with big sticks. :rolleyes:

So Netflix and Amazon only for many folks going forwards? It's either that or cough up the £145 a year. :eek:

How will I live at uni?
Original post by neal95
😂😂 they wouldn't bother with that its more hassle for them than it's worth. In that time you could have removed your tv and actually they won't even bother with a search order. Stop being a good little deferent capitalist for a change

Oh look nobody gets prosecuted ever...
Original post by 999tigger
Oh look nobody gets prosecuted ever...

The most they will do is make you pay the money in monthly instalments. Stop scaremongering vulnerable students who don't all have the cash to fork out for a licence
Original post by neal95
The most they will do is make you pay the money in monthly instalments. Stop scaremongering vulnerable students who don't all have the cash to fork out for a licence

Its not the money its the fact you have a criminal record. They are rather inconvenient.

People are perfectly welcome to follow your advice.
Scumbag BBC - Cant believe they still get away with forcing people to pay them if they want to watch any form of tv
Its not the money its the fact you have a criminal record. They are rather inconvenient.

People are perfectly welcome to follow your advice.

It won't be a criminal record..... Thousands of people come up for this all the time in the magistrates court, do they all have criminal records? On the whole, judges are very understanding and share the concern of folk who are not part of the elite and will try to assist them as much as possible. They will use all alternate means before dishing out punishments which are accompanied with a criminal record
Original post by neal95
It won't be a criminal record..... Thousands of people come up for this all the time in the magistrates court, do they all have criminal records? On the whole, judges are very understanding and share the concern of folk who are not part of the elite and will try to assist them as much as possible. They will use all alternate means before dishing out punishments which are accompanied with a criminal record

Ok will go with your advice, nobody gets caught for licence evasion.
Original post by neal95

A lot get fines, but the courts do still send people to prison for it - more than 100 over a two-year period was reported a couple of years ago.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/10/29/bbc-licence-fee_n_4163939.html
Ok will go with your advice, nobody gets caught for licence evasion.

People get caught for licence evasion, there is no 2 ways about it- let us be clear though that the only way you can be caught is if you invite them in and physically tell them to their face that you don't have a licence and are ripping them off. Fail to let them in, and well the end result of ending up with a criminal charge is unlikely to occur
Original post by neal95
People get caught for licence evasion, there is no 2 ways about it- let us be clear though that the only way you can be caught is if you invite them in and physically tell them to their face that you don't have a licence and are ripping them off. Fail to let them in, and well the end result of ending up with a criminal charge is unlikely to occur

Unless they come back with a warrant, becayse they believe you do have a TV.
Ofc in your world this bever happens.
Unless they come back with a warrant, becayse they believe you do have a TV.
Ofc in your world this bever happens.

Well in that case you simply hide or remove your equipment......in the vast majority of cases they won't bother with a warrant because it's more hassle and cost than you paying £145 probably. They will go and hound some gullible middle class student who can get mummy and daddy to pay
Original post by neal95

They currently have the power to get a warrant from a magistrate, which judging from online sources, appears to be rather easier for them than it should be. Once they have that, they can force entry and examine devices, etc.

I would think overall though that this will be very difficult to enforce, as it should be quite a simple matter to obtain someone's license number and postcode. Perhaps they will try to impose some kind of 'per license' limit, although any system like that will quickly descend into hideous complexity.

If it's just an honour system, it will effectively be pay if you feel like it.
I mooch off my parents TV licence anyway.
Original post by neal95
Well in that case you simply hide or remove your equipment......in the vast majority of cases they won't bother with a warrant because it's more hassle and cost than you paying £145 probably. They will go and hound some gullible middle class student who can get mummy and daddy to pay

You dont think they know about this? They also fine you up to £1,000 plus costs (average £170).
If all it takes in your world is tell them to go away and hide the TV, then how is anyone ever prosecuted?

153,000 in 2013.
They get the costs on top of any fine and the licence fee.
Reply 34
You can still watch iPlayer assuming you (or your parents) have a home TV licence and your device is NOT CONNECTED TO THE MAINS - i.e. it's a laptop / iPad / smartphone running off its batteries.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/watching-online-and-on-mobile-devices-TOP14

"Do I need a TV Licence if I watch on a mobile device?
If you’re using a mobile device powered solely by its own internal batteries like a smartphone, tablet or laptop you will be covered by your home’s TV Licence, wherever you’re using it in the UK and Channel Islands.
However, if you’re away from home and plug one of these devices into the mains and use it to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel or device, or to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer, you need to be covered by a separate TV Licence at that address (unless you’re in a vehicle or vessel like a train, car or boat). It’s the law."
According to an article that I read that you still do and it explains why

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37226030
(edited 7 years ago)
I clicked on I have a TV license. I wasn't asked for any details.
Guaranteed to make exactly zero difference.
The problem with this from the BBC's point of view is that the BBC becomes just another subscription service, for which payment is only required from users and not owners of any kind of receiving equipment.

And people are already starting to compare the cost unfavourably to the competition.
Reply 39
Original post by sharkbate633
According to an article that I read that you still do and it explains why

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37226030

Not if you are using a mobile device and it's NOT connected to mains electricity.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending