The Student Room Group

Driving test

Hello,

I have got my birthday coming up in the beginning of June where I will be turning 17 and can take my driving test, but I am ashamed to admit that I know almost nothing and I am so confused about it all!

I know that you have to pass the theory before the practical driving part and that there is a provisional licence. Could someone please elaborate on what a provisional is, how long do they take to come, when can I book my theory and practical, if the booking websites where they pay for my theory as many times until I pass are worth it, and any resources that are good for learning?

I have an enormous amount of pressure on me to pass my tests straight away from family and I am too embarrassed to ask them anything. So if anyone could please elaborate on these things and all the basics I need to know, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply 1
the provisional license is the first thing you should get. you can apply for it online but you will need to send a physical photo of yourself off to get the actual provisional license. the provisional license is what lets you drive a car with an adult or instructor present it is very important you do this for practice so get your provisional ASAP. then book your theory test online and start studying for it, i would recommend the online app which is a fiver, make sure you practice the questions and hazard perception. then do lessons with a parent or instructor until you are confident enough to do the test, make sure you are ready dont rush it. important to note you can do lessons before passing theory but you must pass theort before you can do the test.

any questions just ask :smile:
Original post by please help me x
Hello,

I have got my birthday coming up in the beginning of June where I will be turning 17 and can take my driving test, but I am ashamed to admit that I know almost nothing and I am so confused about it all!

I know that you have to pass the theory before the practical driving part and that there is a provisional licence. Could someone please elaborate on what a provisional is, how long do they take to come, when can I book my theory and practical, if the booking websites where they pay for my theory as many times until I pass are worth it, and any resources that are good for learning?

I have an enormous amount of pressure on me to pass my tests straight away from family and I am too embarrassed to ask them anything. So if anyone could please elaborate on these things and all the basics I need to know, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks.

Ok so a provisional licence is a Licence for someone who isnt qualifiied to drive a car unsupervised (mus be supervised by a qualified driver for 3 or more years)

Step 1 - Apply for provisional license. This does cost money and you will have to have a suitable photo to use.
Step 2 - Once your provisional licence arrives, look for driving instructors in your area and begin to book lessons
Step 3 - Once you have done a few lessons, start to think about booking your theory test and begin to revise and do practice theory tests.
Step 4 - Once you have passed your theory, together with your instructor, think about booking your driving test, but only once you know that you will be ready.

For the theory revision I used the "4 in 1 app" . It helped me with the questions, As for hazard perception I just used websites.

Good Luck.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending