The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

what would you consider to be overpreparing? everyone says that 30-40 hours is the recommended time to revise but I have 3 weeks and i'm tempted to do around 2-3 hours everyday. I know it's a lot but I want to ensure I get a good mark. I've heard of some people who revised for months and did countless hours of revision and ended up with scores as low as 630. I'm aiming for 700ish. I don't want to overdo it with revision. Do you think 2-3 hours every day for 3 weeks is too much?
Original post by osayukiigbinoba
Thank you but it'd take too long in the exam due to the timing.

I'd have to disagree. This is quick mental maths.
Maybe you should brush up on standard form?
Original post by doculmc7171
what would you consider to be overpreparing? everyone says that 30-40 hours is the recommended time to revise but I have 3 weeks and i'm tempted to do around 2-3 hours everyday. I know it's a lot but I want to ensure I get a good mark. I've heard of some people who revised for months and did countless hours of revision and ended up with scores as low as 630. I'm aiming for 700ish. I don't want to overdo it with revision. Do you think 2-3 hours every day for 3 weeks is too much?

We can't really tell you that. If you practice effectively you should do better, so it's really all up to you.
Use your resources well and approach it like any other exam and you'll be fine.
That said, it is an aptitude test. Some people will naturally be better at it than others and will require less practice than others.
Original post by saran23
Hello everyone,I have been practicing for the UKCAT and I have really been struggling with the abstract section and it is a section I got 900 in 3 years ago(mostly down to luck), now I am applying as a graduate and I don't feel that confident with this section. Like writer's block I seem to have an abstract block :/Any word of advice?

Hi saran23

Hoping I can offer you some advice for getting over your 'abstract block'!

Use a system to identify patterns, we recommend N-S-P-C-C.

First look at number - count everything you see: sides, shapes, angles, circles, arrows etc. Then look at patterns with size (big vs small), position (corner or centre of box), colour (be careful this is often a distractor), conformation (the relationship between different shape positions) respectively.

Spend most of the time deducing the rule, then answer the questions quickly.

I hope you find that useful. Do shout if there is anything else... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi saran23

First look at number - count everything you see: sides, shapes, angles, circles, arrows etc. Then look at patterns with size (big vs small), position (corner or centre of box), colour (be careful this is often a distractor), conformation (the relationship between different shape positions) respectively.

I hope you find that useful. Do shout if there is anything else... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions

Thank you so much :smile:

I'll put this to practice
Original post by saran23
Thank you so much :smile:

I'll put this to practice

No worries at all.

Good luck with it all!

UniAdmissions
Do lots of practice questions and you'll get better at recognising the patterns. I'm getting better with practice. Also acronyms like SCANS help (shape, colour, arrangement, number of shapes etc, symmetry).

Yeah actually SCANS is so important to find the obvious patterns aswell before delving into numbers and algebra!
I was doing a quantitative reasoning question on Medify. It had data that involved powers such as 6 x 10^24. However there isn't a power button on the calculator so how would you go about these type of questions?

I remember doing this one. What I did was reduce this to 6 x 10^3 and reduced the other numbers by the same proportion so that any percentage change would be the same. And I could also put them on the calculator easier
What % of questions in the quantitative reasoning section would you need to get right to get a high score? Does anyone have a mark/score slider thingy?
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
What % of questions in the quantitative reasoning section would you need to get right to get a high score? Does anyone have a mark/score slider thingy?

From what I've been going by to get 700 you need around 70% ( about 26 right ) to get 800 you need about 80% so 29 right
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi saran23

UniAdmissions

I strongly recommend NOT looking at number first. That's the most time consuming of the lot - it's better to look for other patterns instead first (I too would recommend SCANS).
Original post by HarrisonGCSE

Nobody knows for certain. Just focus on doing as best as you can do for now as opposed to what your score might possibly be.
Reply 1552
To those of you who have already sat the test, how did Medify's mock test 1 compare?

I just scored this on the mock:
VR 730
QR 600
AR 730

Really annoyed about QR as I haven't ever got that low and I thought the section wasn't that hard and thought AR was harder!
Is the QR like this one?
(edited 7 years ago)
i have my ukcat soon, im so nervous!!
Any tips for me?
And what resources are the best to use - in terms of levels of difficulty which is similar to the actual test?
thank you so much :smile:
Original post by tw781
To those of you who have already sat the test, how did Medify's mock test 1 compare?

I just scored this on the mock:
VR 730
QR 600
AR 730

Really annoyed about QR as I haven't ever got that low and I thought the section wasn't that hard and thought AR was harder!
Is the QR like this one?

I wouldn't take mock scores seriously, I have been getting a mixed set of scores. The way the UKCAT scores are scaled varies every year and therefore it is very difficult to decipher and give an estimate of your mock tests. Just look at your raw marks as a good indicator. The good thing is you can make mistakes now and learn from them so you don't make similar mistakes in the real exam.

Good Luck with your UKCAT :smile:
*on
Hi,
Could anyone please provide an answer for the following questions, as they were not provided?
Sample SJT.png
Attachment not found
Original post by studentsixth
I remember doing this one. What I did was reduce this to 6 x 10^3 and reduced the other numbers by the same proportion so that any percentage change would be the same. And I could also put them on the calculator easier

Ok thank you.
Original post by Gogregg
I'd have to disagree. This is quick mental maths.
Maybe you should brush up on standard form?

True, I'll have to revise that.
Original post by rose1234
Hi,
Could anyone please provide an answer for the following questions, as they were not provided?
Sample SJT.png
Attachment not found

SJT:

A. Very Appropriate.

QR:

Cost per hour = 100.
Cost for 6 hours = 600 pounds.

1.05% of 95 = 99.75

Thus, total cost = 600 + 99.75 = 699.75

I can't get the AR rule. If someone does get it, please tag me! Thanks :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending