The Student Room Group

Need help on choosing A level subjects

I just finished my IGCSE's, and I got 3 A* in Business, Economics and English as a second language, and an A in 6, including Accounting and Maths. For A levels, I want to take Business Studies and Economics, as I'm really good at them, and enjoy studying them. However I'm not sure as to what I should take as my 3rd and 4th subject. I was thinking about taking Accounting, but I saw that some unis consider it as a soft subject, so what's your opinion on Acc as an A level subject? And for my 4th subject, I need help between choosing Maths and ICT. I wouldnt say I'm good at Maths, and I barely scrapped an A, and I would need tutions to take it in A levels, so would I able to get in at any top uni without a Maths A level or should I take it? Moreover, I believe I could've got an A* in ICT if I'd put more time into it, as I only studied for it a couple of days before the exam. And I wanted to ask which subject I should drop before A2 if possible? Lastly, I would just like to ask if a Bachelors in Business Administration or a Bachelors in Accounting and Finance would be better according to you? I was thinking about a BSc in Economics, however I'm not really good at Maths, so yeah. Btw, I want to do an MBA after my bachelors hopefully. Thanks a lot!
(edited 7 years ago)
List at least a few of the universities that you want to study in so i might be able to advise you more, if you want to study at LSE they don't really like it if you take business studies as that is also considered a soft subject, and especially if you're taking economics then it's really undesirable (studying economics is really good but just not with business). However i do know someone from my school who got accepted to study Management and did Biology, Business studies and Maths (but he was predicted 3A*s).
Check their list of 'preferred' and 'non-preferred' subjects
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/lseEntryRequirements.aspx
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply! Um, for my bachelor's I was thinking of UCL, UCLA or the University of Chicago/NYU if I could get in. I'd really like to get into an Ivy league uni. But that's more of a pipe dream unless I can get straight A's in my A levels, which I hope to achieve, so what do you think? LSE sounds good, but with the subjects I'm taking it would be impossible to get in.
Economics is a good subject to have but Business Studies, ehhh. Maybe you can take it for AS and drop it during A2? Maths is definitely a must, however. How about English Lit or English Lang w Lit for your 4th subject? You scored pretty well in English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Oh I'll try that, especially if I don't get a good result in AS.
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm taking maths now. I really wanted to take English, but my school didn't offer it last year since the only teacher they had left, idk about this year though. I know it's pretty odd. Could've done well in English. :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DayR1999
I just finished my IGCSE's, and I got 3 A* in Business, Economics and English as a second language, and an A in 6, including Accounting and Maths. For A levels, I want to take Business Studies and Economics, as I'm really good at them, and enjoy studying them. However I'm not sure as to what I should take as my 3rd and 4th subject. I was thinking about taking Accounting, but I saw that some unis consider it as a soft subject, so what's your opinion on Acc as an A level subject? And for my 4th subject, I need help between choosing Maths and ICT. I wouldnt say I'm good at Maths, and I barely scrapped an A, and I would need tutions to take it in A levels, so would I able to get in at any top uni without a Maths A level or should I take it? Moreover, I believe I could've got an A* in ICT if I'd put more time into it, as I only studied for it a couple of days before the exam. And I wanted to ask which subject I should drop before A2 if possible? Lastly, I would just like to ask if a Bachelors in Business Administration or a Bachelors in Accounting and Finance would be better according to you? I was thinking about a BSc in Economics, however I'm not really good at Maths, so yeah. Btw, I want to do an MBA after my bachelors hopefully. Thanks a lot!

If I were you, I wouldn't take both business studies AND economics, choose one or the other. It's better to have a range of subjects. My school preferred economics to business studies as they said it looked more academically rigorous to universities, but it's your choice. Don't do maths if you feel like you won't get the grade in it, you'll just make yourself miserable for the year. I took maths for AS because I thought I needed it for the course I wanted to apply to, but I was just miserable and stressed the whole year because I wouldn't understand things as quickly as my classmates etc. Bachelors in accounting and finance sounds good, but I feel like they might require maths, double check though with the unis you want to apply to. ICT sounds good, do it if you're good at it and enjoy it! You're right though accounting is a soft subject, would be better to do a more traditional subject. Do you enjoy English? You could do that as an AS
Reply 6
Oh okay. I'll probably choose economics then as I enjoy it more, or maybe I'll just take business in AS and drop it in A2 as I believe I'd be able to get grade in it. Yeah true, I'm not sure about maths yet. :/ So did you drop maths in A2? And was it worth it? Okay I will! Yes I do, but my school probably wont offer English as an A level subject this year as they dont have a teacher for it anymore, and I'll have to study for IELTS and SAT by myself too. :/
Reply 7
Original post by Pinkberry_y
If I were you, I wouldn't take both business studies AND economics, choose one or the other. It's better to have a range of subjects. My school preferred economics to business studies as they said it looked more academically rigorous to universities, but it's your choice. Don't do maths if you feel like you won't get the grade in it, you'll just make yourself miserable for the year. I took maths for AS because I thought I needed it for the course I wanted to apply to, but I was just miserable and stressed the whole year because I wouldn't understand things as quickly as my classmates etc. Bachelors in accounting and finance sounds good, but I feel like they might require maths, double check though with the unis you want to apply to. ICT sounds good, do it if you're good at it and enjoy it! You're right though accounting is a soft subject, would be better to do a more traditional subject. Do you enjoy English? You could do that as an AS

Thanks a lot though! and sorry for the late reply
Ahaha this is the worst time to ask about A levels, results day is tomorrow, everyone feels like they regret the A levels they chose xD

Anyway, maths is absolutely essential for you. If you want to do anything economics or business related in the future, you MUST have maths. It's not negotiable. It's better to go with a well-accepted, timeless classic of a subject that has application in every field, then a specific and newer one like ICT. Economics is also a timeless classic and a well respected subject, so maths and economics are essential, everything else is up to you. And even if you are not great at maths right now, you can catch up if you put your heart to it.
Original post by DayR1999
x

This video might help you make your decision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tZswvlLr4&feature=youtu.be

Quick Reply

Latest