The Student Room Group

Need Help With Jane Eyre Assessment.

Hi there, I'm just about to go into sixth form and to get into my English class I need to write 3 pages on how Bertha in Jane Eyre portrays 19th-century views on the causes, symptoms, and treatment of mental illness. Can anybody direct me to some useful quotes and give any good points? This needs to be done by 22/08/16 just so you know. Right now I'm just at the stage of messily writing out ideas without any depth or analysis.
Thanks a lot, hope somebody can help me out.
Original post by BeyondDigital
Hi there, I'm just about to go into sixth form and to get into my English class I need to write 3 pages on how Bertha in Jane Eyre portrays 19th-century views on the causes, symptoms, and treatment of mental illness. Can anybody direct me to some useful quotes and give any good points? This needs to be done by 22/08/16 just so you know. Right now I'm just at the stage of messily writing out ideas without any depth or analysis.
Thanks a lot, hope somebody can help me out.

Look at how she's described and the room. She's locked up in the highest room away from the rest of cilvilsation. She's chained up like an animal and portrayed as a savage.

She's a female who is hysteric and in the 19th Century, women who were often hysteric were treated as crazy and mentally unstable. However, There were no treatment of hysteria. They would just lock you up and never let you out. Instead of treating mentally unwell people, they just locked them away from the outside world to let them rot.

Also, a lot of asylums opened for the public so they could come in and stare at the patients in awe, disgust and wonder - truly horrendous. It was truly a freak show.

I'm not going to find you any quotes as that's your job but I've given you a head start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending