The Student Room Group

OCR AS Philosophy & Ethics: Official Thread for May/June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Titi97
And for 1b I explained not all religious believers totally accept sanctity of life, e.g I explained doctrine of double effect in detail and then situation ethics which says you need to look at the situation, and some would go against sanctity of life

Oooo not sure about that
The question said religious people
Situation ethics is a religious theory in itself - it's Christianity derived from Christian ethics - so that shouldn't have been your counter as non religious as in fact fletcher was religious ://

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lets just pray for low grade boundaries because that paper was ****
Reply 582
Original post by RueXO
Lets just pray for low grade boundaries because that paper was ****

My teacher said it should be lower
So if that's the case hopefully I can get my A
Probably bang on A 160 UMS
Praying on philosophy to boost me up that exam was a blessing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VivekJ555
My teacher said it should be lower
So if that's the case hopefully I can get my A
Probably bang on A 160 UMS
Praying on philosophy to boost me up that exam was a blessing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ethics was basically creatio ex nihilo
Really didn't think the paper was that bad...
Well.. 2 more years of 6th form for me ,cause there is no way I even got a C on that
Explain how preference utilitarianism can be used to make ethical decisions?

Tbh i think this was how it was worded. Cant exactly remeber but hope it helps.
I answered questions 1 and 4. Overall I thought the paper was OK but there's stuff that I realised I missed. Also, the part B's were pretty hard

For 1a (why Christians may object to abortion), I spoke about:

- Natural moral law and it's influence on Christian thinking and why the violations of the primary precepts may make followers of the religion object to abortion
- Sanctity of life and how life is from God and is sacred, holy etc and how abortion goes against this and is demeaning of human life which should be special
- Teachings of the Bible such as God made us 'in his image', and also about him only being able to take away life 'The Lord has gave and the Lord has taken away' (Joshua 1:21 I THINK). Also, 10 commandments
- I briefly spoke about the Doctrine of Double Effect but VERY briefly as the question was asking why a follower would OBJECT
BUT I FORGOT TO TALK ABOUT JESUS AND AGAPE AND WHATEVER BECAUSE I'M SILLY

For 1b (about only Christians believing in the Sanctity of Life) I agreed with the statement because believing in the sanctity of life involves belief in God. Also I said that Sanctity of Life seems to say life belongs to God, where I countered with Peter Singer who stresses personal autonomy and that we have full control over our lives and body

For 4a, I spoke about Aquinas being influenced by Aristotle, and I spoke about:

- importance of purpose/telos for Aristotle and Aquinas, also eudaimonia
- deontological, absolutism & objectivism
- four types of laws: eternal, divine, natural and human
- primary precepts & secondary precepts with an example
- how secondary precepts are rather relative
- human inclinations, more specifically synderesis and phronesis
- doctrine of double effects
I FORGOT ABOUT APPARENT AND ACTUAL GOODS IDK WHY BECAUSE I KNOW THAT STUFF

For 4b, I don't think I did great. It was about whether purpose is the most important aspect of NL, and I argued that it was (whether or not I did this correctly will be revealed in August lol)
(edited 7 years ago)

for AS Philosophy 2 out of 4 were on the same topics they said but not the same questions and for ethics again they generally got the topics right but 2 questions ( Kant and singer) were pretty much spot on.
Original post by nihil_nimis
for AS Philosophy 2 out of 4 were on the same topics they said but not the same questions and fobr ethics again they generally got the topics right but 2 questions ( Kant and singer) were pretty much spot on.

And natural law 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
Besides that pathetic excuse of a part B.
Even Justin bieber's new album has more purpose than that q
Are grade boundaries for RS fixed? My school have used getting 58/70 per paper as an a grade

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 593
Original post by thatawesomekid
Are grade boundaries for RS fixed? My school have used getting 58/70 per paper as an a grade

Posted from TSR Mobile

The most accurate way would be doing
80% A
70% B
60% C
These the most accurate and standard way - so an A would be 56/80
However boundaries from OCR for this subject have varied between 49 for an A to 53 so it really is dependant on the paper itself

Posted from TSR Mobile
for the part a for pete singer - how many ethical decisions did we have to discuss?
Original post by starry x
for the part a for pete singer - how many ethical decisions did we have to discuss?

I don't know, I just applied it to euthanasia and abortion and did a little bit on genetic engineering, what about you ?
Anybody here know the A2 predictions?
Where can we find the grade boundaries? I can only seem to find a document for OCR for the new courses, not ours?!
Can anyone tell me what 83 UMS is in raw marks?
Original post by existential
Can anyone tell me what 83 UMS is in raw marks?

In philosophy it is 54 marks, in ethics it is 52 marks 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending