The Student Room Group

Here are my stats, how competitive an applicant am I? For Maths/Comp Sci

GCSEs: 11 A*'s

AS Level: 5 A's (History + below)

A2 Level: 4 A*'s + 1 A [1 A* in EPQ relating to compsci & mathematics]. The A is 2 marks from an A* (physics) - worth remarking? (Maths, FM, Philosophy, Physics)

Maths UMS 592/600 if they ask for that.

Gap year applicant on a computing internship. Come from deprived state school.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sainsbizz

A2 Level: 4 A*'s + 1 A [1 A* in EPQ relating to compsci & mathematics]. The A is 2 marks from an A* (physics) - worth remarking? (Maths, FM, Philosophy, Physics)

I'm not entirely sure what you expect us to say, you've got practically perfect grades in all of the most relevant subjects for Maths or Computer Science so you're in as good a position as you can be at this point in time. Good grades are a prerequisite rather than a guarantee of admission though, so whether you get in or not will depend on how you do in the MAT and at interview.
Are you being serious or trying to show off your grades?
Reply 3
Original post by Plagioclase
I'm not entirely sure what you expect us to say, you've got practically perfect grades in all of the most relevant subjects for Maths or Computer Science so you're in as good a position as you can be at this point in time. Good grades are a prerequisite rather than a guarantee of admission though, so whether you get in or not will depend on how you do in the MAT and at interview.

I was asking for someone to give a rough estimate of how i compare to other applicants, e.g. average, if that's okay.
Reply 4
Original post by jackpcraig
Are you being serious or trying to show off your grades?

I am being dead serious. I don't want to be rejected (again).
I was asking for someone to give a rough estimate of how i compare to other applicants, e.g. average, if that's okay.

According to FOI requests I can find the average number of A*s at GCSE for Computer Science is around 7-8. I can't find any information about the average number of A*s at A Level but you will probably be towards the top end of the spectrum. I can only repeat however that neither of these metrics can really tell you a huge amount about your likelihood of getting in because as I've already said, it depends on your MAT and interview performance.
Honestly, find another place to feed your ego.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't even have any extracurriculars, 0/10.
Reply 8

Man sorry! I think that your grades are not enough! You need to win at least 2 gold medals in the international math Olympiad and have more than 2 years of internship. Additionally you would have to be a member of MENSA with an IQ of 140 or above. You need to complete 6 additional GCSES (with an A*^ at FM) and have at least 6 A* at A level. Furthermore you'd have to be familiar with Python and C++, Java programming and hardware development (Arduino) I am afraid that you do not own the right qualities.
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Honestly, find another place to feed your ego.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am being serious
Original post by Terminatoring
I am being serious

Im sure you can answer your own question! Perfect grades etc very likely to get in, however, it's a holistic process so PS needs to be good and interview (if there is an interview).
If you apply to Cambridge they may give you an offer that also has a STEP offer and so that could be the biggest concern as it's not like A Levels maths. Miss the STEP offer then (allegedly) you're unlikely to get accepted!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending