The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Official King's College London Computer Science Applicants 2023

Hello everyone!

This is a thread made for applicants applying to KCL CS for 2023 entry.

Feel free to discuss about predicted grades. UCAS, university life, KCL, Computer Science etc and keep updated with any news and offers.

Good luck everyone!

Scroll to see replies

hi,
I applied to computer science around mid-December and waiting for an offer. so let's see. it says that the Date Submitted or Last Changed is 04/01/23
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Sent off my UCAS application today 23/1/23 for BSc Computer Science for KCL and other London unis!
Hi,
Got an offer for computer science with a year in industry 06/01/23 applied in October 2022.
Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
Got an offer for computer science with a year in industry 06/01/23 applied in October 2022.
Good luck!

Congrats!!! What was your offer? Are you a home or international student?
Congrats!!! What was your offer? Are you a home or international student?

Thanks, I got a contextual offer of AAA and I am a home student.
Reply 6
Hi, i have a question

Was AAA your predicted grades, or was the offer lower than your predicted due to contextual offer?

Reason i’m asking is because it’s unclear on their website whether or not you have to apply with contextual grades in order to receive a contextual offer
Original post by 27amz
Hi, i have a question

Was AAA your predicted grades, or was the offer lower than your predicted due to contextual offer?

Reason i’m asking is because it’s unclear on their website whether or not you have to apply with contextual grades in order to receive a contextual offer

Hi,
My predicted grades were 3A*A but I believe they give contextual offers based on what school you go or where you live. You still need to have predicted grades that meet the minimum requirement which for me was A*A*A but once they have decided to give you an offer they give you a reduced one.
Hi,
My predicted grades were 3A*A but I believe they give contextual offers based on what school you go or where you live. You still need to have predicted grades that meet the minimum requirement which for me was A*A*A but once they have decided to give you an offer they give you a reduced one.

Just outta curiosity, what kind of stuff did you talk about in your personal statement. Like extra-curricular activities and projects and stuff. Also what subjects are you taking for A-levels?
Just outta curiosity, what kind of stuff did you talk about in your personal statement. Like extra-curricular activities and projects and stuff. Also what subjects are you taking for A-levels?

I talked mainly about my subjects but went into more details on extracurricular stuff I did relating to my subjects such as attend oxbridge lectures or compete in in the senior maths challenge. I also talked about why I was passionate about studying computer science. The subjects I am currently taking are Maths, Furthermaths, Physics and Economics.
I got an offer in the 1st week of January, but I had applied very early. I am an international student. Offer is 35 IB total with 776 in HL subjects and minimum 6 in Maths. Seems strange with such high requirements in HL subjects but a relatively lower total score requirement.
Original post by amk1804
I got an offer in the 1st week of January, but I had applied very early. I am an international student. Offer is 35 IB total with 776 in HL subjects and minimum 6 in Maths. Seems strange with such high requirements in HL subjects but a relatively lower total score requirement.

It's probably because the high HL requirement translates to A levels better, as our harder HLs such as math, chem, and history etc are similar to A level subjects in terms of difficulties. So an IB student who got 776 is basically an A level student who is at the requirement. Then again, I barely scraped a 36 lmao.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by JohnZ263
It's probably because the high HL requirement translates to A levels better, as our harder HLs such as math, chem, and history etc are similar to A level subjects in terms of difficulties. So an IB student who got 776 is basically an A level student who is at the requirement. Then again, I barely scraped a 36 lmao.

This means I have to get 776 in Math AA HL, Physics HL (ouch), Business management HL. I think my predicted is 42-43 total with these above scores; but now I'm afraid for the HL topics for Physics. I am told it is the hardest thing one will read in their high school life and I am kind of agreeing with this view now.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by amk1804
This means I have to get 776 in Math AA HL, Physics HL (ouch), Business management HL. I think my predicted is 42-43 total with these above scores; but now I'm afraid for the HL topics for Physics. I am told it is the hardest thing one will read in their high school life and I am kind of agreeing with this view now.

I got 776hl in Maths, chem and physics (missed by 1 percent) in the Nov 22 exams, so I'm applying with that, but my total is really bad at 36. So I barely cleared the requirements, although I think you'd be fine with getting an offer, as your overall is very good. Yeah, physics is tough aye, maybe aim for a 7 business management instead of physics. I heard that business management is way easier than physics. Is it true?
I got 776hl in Maths, chem and physics (missed by 1 percent) in the Nov 22 exams, so I'm applying with that, but my total is really bad at 36. So I barely cleared the requirements, although I think you'd be fine with getting an offer, as your overall is very good. Yeah, physics is tough aye, maybe aim for a 7 business management instead of physics. I heard that business management is way easier than physics. Is it true?

Biz mgt is a walk in the park compared to physics; I used to love physics until we reached the HL chapters. I still do, but it is hard.

With your grades you have got in already right? I mean you got the 776 and the 35 which they require.
Original post by amk1804
Biz mgt is a walk in the park compared to physics; I used to love physics until we reached the HL chapters. I still do, but it is hard.

With your grades you have got in already right? I mean you got the 776 and the 35 which they require.

The problem is that there are too many applicants with 40+ total so my 36 is kinda dwarfed by you guys. But I am an international, so it might be easier.

I think you'll be able to manage a 7 in both Maths and Biz man, as I don't think covid maths is any different to post covid maths and biz is easy. You just need to put in the work in Maths and physics once you get a conditional offer. The 35 shouldn't be too hard if your predicted is 43 and I assume that you'd be able to get at least 2 points from Core. You'd only need 13 (5,4,4) total points from your sl subjects if you can clear the HL barrier. What are you taking for SL?
Original post by amk1804

Because I did the November exams, I am in the same application cycle as you guys, but I'm applying with my actual results instead of my predicted.
Original post by amk1804

Oh wait, I somehow forgot that you've got an offer already. You've got this bro.
The problem is that there are too many applicants with 40+ total so my 36 is kinda dwarfed by you guys. But I am an international, so it might be easier.

I think you'll be able to manage a 7 in both Maths and Biz man, as I don't think covid maths is any different to post covid maths and biz is easy. You just need to put in the work in Maths and physics once you get a conditional offer. The 35 shouldn't be too hard if your predicted is 43 and I assume that you'd be able to get at least 2 points from Core. You'd only need 13 (5,4,4) total points from your sl subjects if you can clear the HL barrier. What are you taking for SL?

I'm expecting 7s in Math and Biz, hoping for a 7 in Physics so I can get into Imperial too (have an offer). My other SLs are English, French and Chem. Chem 7 should be doable but English and French I'm expecting 6 and at least a 2 to 3 in Core.
I'm international too.
So don't you already have an unconditional offer, you cracked 35 and 776 already right?
Oh wait, I somehow forgot that you've got an offer already. You've got this bro.
Original post by amk1804
I'm expecting 7s in Math and Biz, hoping for a 7 in Physics so I can get into Imperial too (have an offer). My other SLs are English, French and Chem. Chem 7 should be doable but English and French I'm expecting 6 and at least a 2 to 3 in Core.
I'm international too.
So don't you already have an unconditional offer, you cracked 35 and 776 already right?

They don't give unconditionals to anyone that applies who passed 35 776. I think my application is being processed in the normal applications pool. It's just when they give the decision. It's either a unconditional or a rejection.

Congrats on the imperial offer! Where are you applying from as an international?
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest