The Student Room Group

How to get an a* in A-Level maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Maths is Life
A normal calculator will more than suffice if you do maths not further maths.

The calculator you described is useful for checking answers at the end of an exam and speeding up the process.

What I forgot to mention is that exams are all about speed. It is possible to finish C1 exams in under 30mins and 50mins for C4.

What I did the night before the exam is do all the recent past papers as fast as I could so my brain would go mad with maths.

Giving you the rest of the exam to chill and quadtruple check your answers and do the questions you missed out.

No mistakes tho. Do not make any.

Cheers for the help!
Original post by metaljoe
Should I purchase a calculator that can integrate and differentiate, or will a normal calculator be fine?

Get this if you wanna be the coolest kid in class

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/222009322443?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=28306099746&rlsatarget=pla-184492177986&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9046213&device=c&campaignid=628859225&crdt=0
I know he's havin a laugh but just buy one of the mainstream ones even a TI

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151799655888

A TI is not worth it for normal maths.
Original post by RDKGames
A TI is not worth it for normal maths.

With a TI you'll be cooler than the coolest kid in class.
With a TI you'll be cooler than the coolest kid in class.

More like richer than the coolest guy in class. A TI is pointless for normal maths; price and functionality wise.
Its all about organisation...

Keep an Excel record of all the exercises in the book (Edexcel), green them off as you do them and write a useful reminder/note next to them.

Do all of the exercises in the book throughout the year, and make use of the mixed exercises, review exercises and past papers for revision closer to the time.

This strategy got me good marks in FP2, FP3 and M3, I only dropped 2 marks in M3 and I'm sure all of the practice in the book helped me loads, and I was panicking for FP3 revision because I left it alone with 20 days to go but managed to get a solid mark while genuinely not being able to do a single question at the beginning.

This is what I did:

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 14.44.25.png
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by anonymousm3
Would you say I should retake C3 if i got 83 UMS?

you need 90+ in C3 and C4 to get an A * in maths
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by alevelstresss

Keep an Excel record of all the exercises in the book (Edexcel), green them off as you do them and write a useful reminder/note next to them.

Do all of the exercises in the book throughout the year, and make use of the mixed exercises, review exercises and past papers for revision closer to the time.

This strategy got me good marks in FP2, FP3 and M3, I only dropped 2 marks in M3 and I'm sure all of the practice in the book helped me loads, and I was panicking for FP3 revision because I left it alone with 20 days to go but managed to get a solid mark while genuinely not being able to do a single question at the beginning.

This is what I did:

That's a great idea, i'll definitely use a spreadsheet for this!! Thanks!
Cool dude. I wondering how much UMS did you get?

583 :smile:
Original post by alevelstresss

This is what I did:

Nice one m8 you really are a try-hard.

Doing an FP3 every day is nice.

How much UMS did you get for Further Maths then?
Original post by RDKGames
More like richer than the coolest guy in class. A TI is pointless for normal maths; price and functionality wise.

It's not that expensive. You're going to have a great calculator for life. It's not pointless, you gain a small advantage. It helps, especially with S1. With the graph you can check your answers easily. Many functions the Casio can do too, but with a TI its faster and easier.
Original post by English-help
I never got an A* but i was 2 Ums marks off an A* haha:biggrin: id say past papers is key:smile:

that's so close, I feel your pain. but A is still an amazing achievement, well done :smile:
Original post by carrot top geek
that's so close, I feel your pain. but A is still an amazing achievement, well done :smile:

Yepp

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by Ash8991
Ah, A Level Maths. It's one of those A level where the content is easy to learn but harder to apply. First things first, you need to make sure you understand all the fundamentals and then do as much practice as you possibly can. That means, do as many of the past papers as you can do, even going back and doing the ones from 2005 or something; one of the questions this year was essentially a copy of one they gave to the students back in 2007 (Or some year close to that). So yeah, to keep it short: Learn it and then practice it and you'll do fine :smile:

Can you help me

Quick Reply

Latest