The Student Room Group

A-level Computer science or Maths

Hi, I'm currently torn between doing computer science or maths in a-level. (doing Biology and chemistry for sure as I think I would like to work in the medical field)
I have done the GCSE for computer science and tbh I do like maths more at this level. On the other hand, as I'm definitely going to study those harsh subjects, studying computer science seemed to be a relatively chilled (?) as in the amount of time I have to invest in each subject. However, I have to hand in a project as coursework if I do computer science and I consider myself as someone who's not really creative. Therefore I'm afraid that I might struggle more in doing that project than doing maths.
Also, I know that if I were to get into medicine in uni then I will probably have to get AAA, so I am not so sure whether doing computer science or maths with biology and chemistry can have a higher chance to get higher grades.
Can someone give me some advices? Thank you!
Original post by Rc.24
Hi, I'm currently torn between doing computer science or maths in a-level. (doing Biology and chemistry for sure as I think I would like to work in the medical field)
I have done the GCSE for computer science and tbh I do like maths more at this level. On the other hand, as I'm definitely going to study those harsh subjects, studying computer science seemed to be a relatively chilled (?) as in the amount of time I have to invest in each subject. However, I have to hand in a project as coursework if I do computer science and I consider myself as someone who's not really creative. Therefore I'm afraid that I might struggle more in doing that project than doing maths.
Also, I know that if I were to get into medicine in uni then I will probably have to get AAA, so I am not so sure whether doing computer science or maths with biology and chemistry can have a higher chance to get higher grades.

I personally found Computer Science (especially the coursework) a massive pain, more so than Maths which basically consists of just doing questions. If you like it, I recommend Maths.
Maths is easier to get the A* in IMO. Far easier to revise for. I was in a group of 8 people getting individual teaching for A level CS, and only one of us got an A* compared with the majority of students getting an A* in maths.
Reply 3
Original post by Meltboy7778
Maths is easier to get the A* in IMO. Far easier to revise for. I was in a group of 8 people getting individual teaching for A level CS, and only one of us got an A* compared with the majority of students getting an A* in maths.

Thank you. Did you do A level CS then, how did you find it? I have noticed in most prospectus of six forms and colleges that their pass rate and percentage of people getting B or higher is actually quite low. Therefore I have been wondering if getting an A* in CS is really that hard (perhaps due to the project or coursework?) as in GCSE level it is relatively easy for me.
Reply 4
Original post by vapordave
I personally found Computer Science (especially the coursework) a massive pain, more so than Maths which basically consists of just doing questions. If you like it, I recommend Maths.

Thank you! I didn't know that there are tough coursework in CS as the percentage it is taking up in A level is only 20%. But the only drawback for me to study maths is that I'm not quite sure can I get the gist of it as people said that it is quite a big jump from GCSEs.
Original post by Rc.24

Do Maths, it's a more versatile A Level and is a much smaller workload than CS. CS project is so dead and I'd only really recommend it for someone who wants a career in CS.
Original post by Rc.24
Thank you! I didn't know that there are tough coursework in CS as the percentage it is taking up in A level is only 20%. But the only drawback for me to study maths is that I'm not quite sure can I get the gist of it as people said that it is quite a big jump from GCSEs.

I personally didn't find the jump too bad. As long as you keep up with work and ask questions when you get stuck, you should be fine :smile: Everyone else in your class will be in the same boat so you wouldn't be alone.
Original post by Nerdonymous
Do Maths, it's a more versatile A Level and is a much smaller workload than CS. CS project is so dead and I'd only really recommend it for someone who wants a career in CS.

Not even that. A classmate who worked part-time as a software engineer couldn't stand the NEA, he said it didn't reflect industry practice at all.
Original post by Rc.24
Thank you. Did you do A level CS then, how did you find it? I have noticed in most prospectus of six forms and colleges that their pass rate and percentage of people getting B or higher is actually quite low. Therefore I have been wondering if getting an A* in CS is really that hard (perhaps due to the project or coursework?) as in GCSE level it is relatively easy for me.

Yes, I did A-level CS and Maths and Further Maths. I presume the reason that B and higher pass rates are low is that generally the teaching of CS is bad. The exam itself is quite essay-based and requires quite a bit of familiarity with the endorsed textbook and essay prep. GCSE CS was a piece of **** for me too (finished in half the time and got an A*). At A-level I took on a particularly challenging coursework, ran out of time to do it and tried to save it in the writeup. Got an A for the coursework, then an A for the exam where I expected an A*.
If I were you, I'd take Maths A-level as it's just less work. If your college lets you, I'd take Maths and FM for 4 A-levels, then drop FM. At least at my college, this meant A-level content was covered in the first year, leaving you a year to consolidate maths A-level and guarantee an A*.
Reply 9
Yes, I did A-level CS and Maths and Further Maths. I presume the reason that B and higher pass rates are low is that generally the teaching of CS is bad. The exam itself is quite essay-based and requires quite a bit of familiarity with the endorsed textbook and essay prep. GCSE CS was a piece of **** for me too (finished in half the time and got an A*). At A-level I took on a particularly challenging coursework, ran out of time to do it and tried to save it in the writeup. Got an A for the coursework, then an A for the exam where I expected an A*.
If I were you, I'd take Maths A-level as it's just less work. If your college lets you, I'd take Maths and FM for 4 A-levels, then drop FM. At least at my college, this meant A-level content was covered in the first year, leaving you a year to consolidate maths A-level and guarantee an A*.

oh i do the same subjects as u rn, what did u do for the nea
Original post by mskr710
oh i do the same subjects as u rn, what did u do for the nea

nea? If you mean the CS coursework, I tried to make a poker training tool with Processing lib for Java. I didn't get very far in the end, but I still made sure to meet all the marking criteria.
Reply 11
oh thats sounds cool, im doing a quiz app here, nothing fancy. What exam board did u do for FM? Edexcel?
Original post by mskr710
oh thats sounds cool, im doing a quiz app here, nothing fancy. What exam board did u do for FM? Edexcel?

Pearson.
Reply 13
(Original post by Meltboy7778)Pearson.

oh same here i do D1 and FM1 as well, how did u revise for further maths? did you make notes or just do questions/past papers?
Original post by mskr710
(Original post by Meltboy7778)Pearson.

oh same here i do D1 and FM1 as well, how did u revise for further maths? did you make notes or just do questions/past papers?

https://www.madasmaths.com
This plus past papers.
Notes aren't really useful for revision, but I of course had a set of notes I looked back through to recall the topics.
My maths department's teachers were also nice enough to compile a list of topics with example questions, but I've since lost my copy.
Reply 15
https://www.madasmaths.com
This plus past papers.
Notes aren't really useful for revision, but I of course had a set of notes I looked back through to recall the topics.
My maths department's teachers were also nice enough to compile a list of topics with example questions, but I've since lost my copy.

oh i see i see thank you, i heard of madasmaths before but havent used them, when would u do papers? every week? And how often would you revise/recap old topics?

Quick Reply

Latest