The Student Room Group

Scored A`s in both Physics Tests, ISA moderation brought it to a B ?

Hey,

I`ve completed my A-levels with A*AB where the B was caused due to the school moderation dropping our ISA down to a D standard.I initially had an A in ISA yet was dropped to a D on results day ??

It cost students in my class A*`s. We feel as if we didnt do the ISA properly and potentially were led malpractice where we were fed answers. Yet, we can`t complain because our school pretty much will shrug shoulders and push it under the rug. I dunno what to do as I really want to retake my Unit 3 and 4 next year as an attempt at bumping up the grade and could do without having to take an added empa aswell ( as ISA is no longer available for resit) .

I feel like if I say something about remodurating the ISA no one will listen due to having the feeling the isa was done incorrectly. I feel like its bad how the students must pay for bad teaching and practice.

Any advice?
Thanks
What's ISA?
I'm afraid that that's just tough luck. Your school can request for them all to be remoderated, but it's at their discretion.
Kicking up a sh**storm and talking to local papers about it should encourage your school to request remoderation. (Make clear that's what you and the other students want, and be sure the school doesn't want to do it before you kick it up)

(Call up and tell the governors about it if it is really that bad and the school refuses to get it remoderated)
(edited 7 years ago)
ISAs ruin lives.
Original post by allofthestars
Hey,

I`ve completed my A-levels with A*AB where the B was caused due to the school moderation dropping our ISA down to a D standard.I initially had an A in ISA yet was dropped to a D on results day ??

It cost students in my class A*`s. We feel as if we didnt do the ISA properly and potentially were led malpractice where we were fed answers. Yet, we can`t complain because our school pretty much will shrug shoulders and push it under the rug. I dunno what to do as I really want to retake my Unit 3 and 4 next year as an attempt at bumping up the grade and could do without having to take an added empa aswell ( as ISA is no longer available for resit) .

I feel like if I say something about remodurating the ISA no one will listen due to having the feeling the isa was done incorrectly. I feel like its bad how the students must pay for bad teaching and practice.

Any advice?
Thanks

If your ISA has been poorly implemented by your teachers then a remoderation will not improve your result. I guarantee they are already looking at the results obtained and trying to work out if there is a fault in what they did or an error on the part of the examiner. If they think the examiner is at fault I'm sure they will be considering remoderation. No examiner will compensate students for poor teaching. The only thing you and your fellow students can do is have a calm and mature conversation with your teachers about the options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Re-moderation will not help. Your ISA was of a standard which deserved a D, so you got a D. Tough luck.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
What's ISA?

An internally moderated practical.
Original post by alow
Re-moderation will not help. Your ISA was of a standard which deserved a D, so you got a D. Tough luck.

Of course I understand this matter. Thanks for being direct. I'm simply saying that our class believe we did the isa wrong. To the extent where we were fed the answers. Which I believe is quite shocking considering we havent done an isa properly after researching how to do them. Its quite a difficult dilema to approach the school about.
Original post by gdunne42
If your ISA has been poorly implemented by your teachers then a remoderation will not improve your result. I guarantee they are already looking at the results obtained and trying to work out if there is a fault in what they did or an error on the part of the examiner. If they think the examiner is at fault I'm sure they will be considering remoderation. The only thing you and your fellow students can do is have a calm and mature conversation with your teachers about the options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply :smile: I feel like if we were actually taught how to do an isa as an independent exam that it is we actually would of done alot better than what actually happened when we did it this year. We were literally fed the answers but we didnt know how to do an isa and thought that this was how you did one. Reading between the lines now we were actually not doing it properly. But we as students couldnt do anything aboit that sadly

Quick Reply

Latest