The Student Room Group

Should I apply for Archaeology?

I'd always dismissed Archaeology and focused on reading modern history.
But then I've just realised that actually archaeology and ancient history does interest me! As a child I was always digging or going metal detectoring (perish the thought!) or watching time team. So I think the interest needs to be explored further.
I'm reading books on celts at the moment and are fascinating.
Anyone else in the same dilemna of history or archaeology?
Original post by DanielSmith1999
But then I've just realised that actually archaeology and ancient history does interest me! As a child I was always digging or going metal detectoring (perish the thought!) or watching time team. So I think the interest needs to be explored further.

Time Team was the best! You might be able to find taster sessions in both and see which you prefer, and check out open days as well and see which courses take your fancy more! Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by DanielSmith1999

I am hopefully going to do archaeology (BA) next academic year. I like the subject for its humanities aspect as well as for the practical side of it which I dont think you'd get with just history. Archaeology does do a lot on ancient history, especially York.
My son did ba archaeology and loved it. It's fascinating. Be clear on your career path though. Digging for a living is donkey work and plays havoc on your knees!! He went on to do a msc in forensic archaeology and works as a csi
Why don't you do a joint honours course? There are plenty out there. At my uni, if you decided you preferred one over the other, they let you switch to single honours at the end of the first year (and progress as normal to second year, you don't have to repeat or anything like that)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending