The Student Room Group

Writing one personal statement for two courses

Hello all!

I'm currently writing a draft for my personal statement for my uni application in 2017 and have come across a couple of problems (I've tried looking for solutions but have been unsuccessful in doing so).

I am looking to apply for Medicine and pharmacy and I have experience in both.
The problem is, as I'm sure you all know, is that I can only write one personal statement. Would it be possible or feasible to write one P.S. for both courses and if it is what is the best way to do so?

Thanks.
Original post by jaasper10
Hello all!

I'm currently writing a draft for my personal statement for my uni application in 2017 and have come across a couple of problems (I've tried looking for solutions but have been unsuccessful in doing so).

The problem is, as I'm sure you all know, is that I can only write one personal statement. Would it be possible or feasible to write one P.S. for both courses and if it is what is the best way to do so?

Thanks.

If you are applying for medicine, the only thing you can do is write a ps exclusively for that. Anything else will result in an immediate rejection. Pharmacy admissions tutors are pretty used to being used as the fifth choice for medics. They will know the score.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If you are applying for medicine, the only thing you can do is write a ps exclusively for that. Anything else will result in an immediate rejection. Pharmacy admissions tutors are pretty used to being used as the fifth choice for medics. They will know the score.

That was what I thought, seeing as all my work experience is directly related to Medicine apart from my actual job at a pharmacy (which is still relevant to medicine, but more so to pharmacy) do you think it would be wise to simply not name any course in my PS, an example being; "I want to apply to this course because...." rather than " I want to apply to medicine because..."?

Thanks for the quick reply!
That was what I thought, seeing as all my work experience is directly related to Medicine apart from my actual job at a pharmacy (which is still relevant to medicine, but more so to pharmacy) do you think it would be wise to simply not name any course in my PS, an example being; "I want to apply to this course because...." rather than " I want to apply to medicine because..."?

Thanks for the quick reply!

No, you must make it very clear you are applying for medicine throughout or you simply won't be considered.
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No, you must make it very clear you are applying for medicine throughout or you simply won't be considered.

I see, Thanks!
Reply 5
Durham actually lets applicants use substitute applications to avoid this problem, but I'm unsure of other unis
Hello all!

Thanks.

Message the admissions at the uni for Pharmacy asking if you can send an alternate PS for it, that's what I'm doing for Maths and they've said that it's fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending