The Student Room Group

Resitting year 12: urgent advice needed?!

Hi all,
Unfortunately I didn't do so well in my AS levels and have decided to retake the year at another sixth form. I achieved CEEU, in English Literature; Economics; Chemistry and Biology respectively. I am wanting to go into a Neuroscience degree or possibly Biological Science subjects.

BUT i have a dilemma as to which subjects to take next year. I don't want to make the wrong choices I made last year. I will not be doing Chemistry again, as I thought it was quite difficult and I will also not do Economics as I found it boring.i have done my research and for most universities for my dream course, they do not require Chem and Psychology is accepted in almost all (the only one requiring Chem is UCL). I am planning to take:

Biology again
English Literature again
Psychology (instead of Chem)

However, I have no idea what to do for my 4th subject and need advice. I am torn between HISTORY and MATHS. I like History but also find Maths interesting despite it being difficult at times but I know I can do well if I work hard, which is a guarantee seeing as I failed this year so will do all I can to turn it around. I've heard people saying a Grade B in GCSE maths means you struggle - will I? Also, what is History like? Is it hard?

Thank you!!
You don't have to do a fourth, you know. I find history boring tbh, especially American history- bleurgh! The decision is on you, but I think it would be cleverer to do just three.
Good luck!
I agree that three A levels is enough, especially considering the workload of the sciences.

I would also urge you to look at doing a btec in applied sciences rather than A levels. You learn just as much in terms of skills and knowledge and the assessment isn't one big memory test like with A level so it may better facilitate your ambitions if you want to do science at uni.
Reply 3
Are you aware that you dont have to do a fourth? I wouldn't have if people made me aware
Original post by creative_lad28
Hi all,
Unfortunately I didn't do so well in my AS levels and have decided to retake the year at another sixth form. I achieved CEEU, in English Literature; Economics; Chemistry and Biology respectively. I am wanting to go into a Neuroscience degree or possibly Biological Science subjects.

BUT i have a dilemma as to which subjects to take next year. I don't want to make the wrong choices I made last year. I will not be doing Chemistry again, as I thought it was quite difficult and I will also not do Economics as I found it boring.i have done my research and for most universities for my dream course, they do not require Chem and Psychology is accepted in almost all (the only one requiring Chem is UCL). I am planning to take:

Biology again
English Literature again
Psychology (instead of Chem)

However, I have no idea what to do for my 4th subject and need advice. I am torn between HISTORY and MATHS. I like History but also find Maths interesting despite it being difficult at times but I know I can do well if I work hard, which is a guarantee seeing as I failed this year so will do all I can to turn it around. I've heard people saying a Grade B in GCSE maths means you struggle - will I? Also, what is History like? Is it hard?

Thank you!!

I'm in a similar dilemma and am choosing Geography. I got B in gcse maths and dropped maths after the first lesson because it was so hard. A lot of people who got A* at gcse in my maths class ended up with E/U in the end of AS. But if you put in the effort, you may get really good. I don't know anyone that passed History at my school as most got E's due to not finishing the course in time. Look around at other subjects before you decide for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest