The Student Room Group

Graduate or undergraduate?

Hi all I've just graduated with a first in Biomedical sciences and am planning on applying to study medicine at Newcastle, Queen Mary's, Manchester and maybe King's. Do you think I should consider applying for one graduate course along with 3 undergraduate courses? Or just stick to 4 undergraduates to be sure?
Original post by kayasparkles
Hi all I've just graduated with a first in Biomedical sciences and am planning on applying to study medicine at Newcastle, Queen Mary's, Manchester and maybe King's. Do you think I should consider applying for one graduate course along with 3 undergraduate courses? Or just stick to 4 undergraduates to be sure?

It really depends. Whats your UKCAT?

i think people tend to overestimate how easy it is to get in to the undergraduate courses as a grad. The competition ratios probably aren't as bad as GEM, but its not necessarily a 'safer' option. I take it money is no object.

Is it your first time applying? Why not try for all GEM, or mainly GEM (UKCAT depending) and if that doesn't work out, try for an undergrad place next year. Even if money is no object, I would still try and avoid shelling out £36k up front, its going to be a long time before you are earning enough to make it a worthwhile investment.
Original post by ForestCat
It really depends. Whats your UKCAT?

i think people tend to overestimate how easy it is to get in to the undergraduate courses as a grad. The competition ratios probably aren't as bad as GEM, but its not necessarily a 'safer' option. I take it money is no object.

Is it your first time applying? Why not try for all GEM, or mainly GEM (UKCAT depending) and if that doesn't work out, try for an undergrad place next year. Even if money is no object, I would still try and avoid shelling out £36k up front, its going to be a long time before you are earning enough to make it a worthwhile investment.

My UKCAT exam is coming up in a couple of weeks. It's my first time applying and I am already taking a year out to do so therefore I would like to do everything I can to try and get a place for 2017. I was thinking of maybe applying for the graduate and undergraduate course at Queen Mary's as I was thinking it would show my eagerness to study at that particular university and might increase my chance of be considered for the undergrad course, which has more places. I don't know whether they would take this into account or not which is why I'm asking what you think?
My UKCAT exam is coming up in a couple of weeks. It's my first time applying and I am already taking a year out to do so therefore I would like to do everything I can to try and get a place for 2017. I was thinking of maybe applying for the graduate and undergraduate course at Queen Mary's as I was thinking it would show my eagerness to study at that particular university and might increase my chance of be considered for the undergrad course, which has more places. I don't know whether they would take this into account or not which is why I'm asking what you think?

Medical admissions don't really work that way. Its all done on academics/ukcat etc.

You need to apply to places you stand the best shot of getting an interview at. I would wait until you have sat your UKCAT before deciding on where to apply. There may be undergraduate courses that you would stand a better chance at interview at than the ones you've mentioned.

I'd be wary of thinking that all the undergraduate places are open to graduates. That tends not to be the case, otherwise undergraduate courses would just fill up with grads. I know places like Southampton (for example) tend to have set numbers of places for graduates. This is why I say that you may not necessarily stand a better chance at undergrad courses.

I take it that you are fully aware of the financial implications of gaining a place on an undergrad course?
Medical admissions don't really work that way. Its all done on academics/ukcat etc.

You need to apply to places you stand the best shot of getting an interview at. I would wait until you have sat your UKCAT before deciding on where to apply. There may be undergraduate courses that you would stand a better chance at interview at than the ones you've mentioned.

I'd be wary of thinking that all the undergraduate places are open to graduates. That tends not to be the case, otherwise undergraduate courses would just fill up with grads. I know places like Southampton (for example) tend to have set numbers of places for graduates. This is why I say that you may not necessarily stand a better chance at undergrad courses.

I take it that you are fully aware of the financial implications of gaining a place on an undergrad course?

Yes I am aware of that, there are also universities that do not accept any graduates for the undergrad course such as St George's. I have rang up the admissions teams of various universities explaining my situation and asking whether I would be considered for the undergraduate course. The universities I mentioned above are examples of ones that would consider graduates for the undergraduate programme. A Queen Mary's admissions team member told me that roughly 18% of the students on the course are graduates. I am simply trying to find out if there is anything more I can do to slightly increase my chances as I am fully aware of how competitive it is and I know that many people are in a similar boat to me. On the financial front, yes I am aware of the implications for both graduate and undergraduate degrees. For that reason among others, I am more inclined to favour the undergraduate course. Thanks for your advice I appreciate it
Yes I am aware of that, there are also universities that do not accept any graduates for the undergrad course such as St George's. I have rang up the admissions teams of various universities explaining my situation and asking whether I would be considered for the undergraduate course. The universities I mentioned above are examples of ones that would consider graduates for the undergraduate programme. A Queen Mary's admissions team member told me that roughly 18% of the students on the course are graduates. I am simply trying to find out if there is anything more I can do to slightly increase my chances as I am fully aware of how competitive it is and I know that many people are in a similar boat to me. On the financial front, yes I am aware of the implications for both graduate and undergraduate degrees. For that reason among others, I am more inclined to favour the undergraduate course. Thanks for your advice I appreciate it

I hate to labour the point but I just want to check. You understand that there are no tuition fee loans for grads on the undergrad course, so you need £36k in total to pay for this over the first 4 years. Whereas you only need to find £3465 up front for the first year of GEM, the rest is covered by loans or bursary.

I think most undergraduate courses accept grads. Their website will lay out the required qualifications for grads, which tend to be different from the normal undergraduate requirements. If you're set on applying to undergad courses, have you looked at leicester? I know that they love grads and have increased the number they take because they scrapped their GEM programme.

And what about Warwick? Its got the largest number of places for grads.
I must be mistaken then, I thought that I would be allowed to get a loan for the undergraduate course and not for the graduate course. I was not aware that as a graduate, this would not be the case. Thanks for making that clear. I was actually thinking about Leicester as well but wasn't too sure about the quality of their course compared to other universities. I have looked at Warwick but it seems they are very focused on the hours of work experience you have, I am not sure I match the number they request. It's really difficult to make the right choice!
I must be mistaken then, I thought that I would be allowed to get a loan for the undergraduate course and not for the graduate course. I was not aware that as a graduate, this would not be the case. Thanks for making that clear. I was actually thinking about Leicester as well but wasn't too sure about the quality of their course compared to other universities. I have looked at Warwick but it seems they are very focused on the hours of work experience you have, I am not sure I match the number they request. It's really difficult to make the right choice!

You can get an maintenance loan for the undergraduate course, but get no help with the tuition fees until the NHS kicks in in fifth year (thats as it stands now, I'm not sure it will continue given NHS bursary have been scrapped for everyone else). Whereas on GEM courses, you pay the first 3465 and get a loan for the rest in first year, and then the NHS pays that 3465 the next three years with loans covering the rest.

Its a little outdated but have a look at the GEM wiki to get you a bit more up to speed
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Graduate_Entry_Medicine_-_a_guide

Warwick do tend to be strict about things like that, but there is still time to try and arrange some more work experience so that you qualify.

As for Leicester.... Quality is rather a subjective term. Especially when it comes to Medicine. They have a brand new med school and a brand new curriculum starting this year, but tehy have some problems. But so does every medical school/university. Students will always have gripes about their university, but when it comes to Medicine all medical degrees are pretty much equal in the end.

Oh wait sorry I got this all messed up. It's the other way around! As I already have an undergrad degree I won't be eligible for the undergrad loan! Sorry got confused
Oh wait sorry I got this all messed up. It's the other way around! As I already have an undergrad degree I won't be eligible for the undergrad loan! Sorry got confused

No probs. Glad you've got it cleared up. Might have been an expensive mistake otherwise.
No probs. Glad you've got it cleared up. Might have been an expensive mistake otherwise.

Haha I think the mistake stems from the fact I've been revising all day for the UKCAT and reading loads of threads on tsr and therefore I am brain fried. I'll be fresher in the morning. I may consider looking at Warwick for grad entry. I'm trying to find universities that do not take school results into account as I went to school in Belgium where the system is completely different and not many universities recognise my qualifications. Thanks for your time and advice! Take care
Reply 11
Haha I think the mistake stems from the fact I've been revising all day for the UKCAT and reading loads of threads on tsr and therefore I am brain fried. I'll be fresher in the morning. I may consider looking at Warwick for grad entry. I'm trying to find universities that do not take school results into account as I went to school in Belgium where the system is completely different and not many universities recognise my qualifications. Thanks for your time and advice! Take care

Good job you posted this thread and @ForestCat pointed it out!

As above, wait until you get your UKCAT results before deciding on GEM or not, and what uni's to narrow down. Apply to your strengths and you can only do that once you have all your information.

Don't stress over what uni just yet. Concentrate on the UKCAT and doing the best you can. You need a high score for GEM :smile:

Then come back for help deciding :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by JayAhm

As above, wait until you get your UKCAT results before deciding on GEM or not, and what uni's to narrow down. Apply to your strengths and you can only do that once you have all your information.

Don't stress over what uni just yet. Concentrate on the UKCAT and doing the best you can. You need a high score for GEM :smile:

Good luck!

You're right! One thing at a time. Thanks 😊
Original post by JayAhm

Good luck!

Hey so ended up with a UKCAT score of 690. Would I make the cut for undergrad medicine at Barts, UEA and QUB? I really like Newcastle but I know they are very UKCAT heavy so I'll wait until the national averages come out and take a view on it then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending