The Student Room Group

Miserable

I'm starting Year 13 in a couple of days and I've never felt this bad before. There is no joy in my life anymore and I don't see how I'll be able to make it through a year of school.
Does anyone have any advice about starting a school year feeling depressed or any experience of dealing with such thoughts?
I don't know if I can help here but I relate to that a lot, so I will try. I too got very depressed around year 12, which lasted the year and then into year 13. I am currently in the second year at University- but 3 years ago I too didn't think I could make it through the year.

First get to the bottom of why you are miserable. Is it friends or lack thereof? Is it the pressures of the work, the pressures of your future? This is a big year for you and you want to be feeling positive about the future- not feeling as though it is pointless. So when you realise what really is making you feel depressed, then you might be able to work on that. Obviously depression often doesn't have an explanation, so maybe you feel down for no reason. My reasons back at school were the fact that my 'friends' were quite unkind and left me feeling alone and down, and on top of that there was all this pressure to go to university, and the work just piled up. Then there was unresolved anxiety- I'd never gone and gotten help so I felt lost and alone. I was unable to do presentations and speak up in front of people, which of course made me self-conscious and feel worse about myself.

However, once I realised what my problem was- mainly my anxiety and feelings of loneliness, I began to try to help myself heal. Step 1- my 'friends'. I distanced myself from a lot of them, and I actually spoke to more people. This also helped with my anxiety. I found a girl in my year and a couple of my classes who had some of the same issues as I did- feeling depressed etc. We got along well and my friends didn't like this. But once they saw I was becoming more independent, they actually became better friends. The people I distanced myself from are now just memories, and I'm glad- but the people who stuck with me, are now still my closest friends three years on. So, for one make sure you have a support network around you. This includes friends and family. Don't let anybody bring you down to their level because this will only make you feel more depressed.

Step 2 for me was to sort out my work load. If you are feeling pressured by all your work, then make sure you make a plan maybe. Planning was my fave in year 13, and I had a timetable sorted so I knew what to revise, and when. This made my time more spread out and gave me time to myself too! I utilised my free periods (if you get them too?) and I got most of my revision done in the day. My essays, homeworks and tasks given would therefore be my only priority when I got home and I got them done, then had the rest of the afternoons to myself.

I think once you are properly planned and know what you want in life, you might begin to feel a little happier. My suggestion to you is get your personal statement done ASAP unless you already have done it. If you are off to uni, get your applications out of the way as soon as you can. Or whatever else you plan to do with your future. Find out what grades you need, and then work towards them. This made me feel so much better because within the first few months I had completed my statement, got it checked by teachers, sent my uni application off, and knew exactly what grades and points I needed to get into my Uni's. I found I even forgot I was depressed sometimes- too stressed to be depressed! Stress can be a good thing. It keeps you on your toes and it's also exciting because it's all about your future.

So big tips for trying to get through the year? Be yourself 100%, because when you get out of there you will be able to find people just like you, and will make friends for life! Secondly, I'd let somebody know your feelings. The best thing to do is confide in a teacher or best friend or family member, because you don't want to get yourself in a rut, because your grades might suffer. If it gets really bad- seek a GP's help and they can do a lot to try and make your mental health better. And lastly, just think about your future. Think that in a years time you will be finished school and be going out into the big wide world, and the world really will be at your fingertips. You can do what you want, be who you want. Don't let anybody drag you down and set those goals- and smash them! I believe in you, because you want to make it.
Have you spoken to anyone about how your feeling? Perhaps have a word with your parents to see what can be done to help you reduce anxieties.

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending
Reply 3
Original post by Mazzii342
I don't know if I can help here but I relate to that a lot, so I will try. I too got very depressed around year 12, which lasted the year and then into year 13. I am currently in the second year at University- but 3 years ago I too didn't think I could make it through the year.

First get to the bottom of why you are miserable. Is it friends or lack thereof? Is it the pressures of the work, the pressures of your future? This is a big year for you and you want to be feeling positive about the future- not feeling as though it is pointless. So when you realise what really is making you feel depressed, then you might be able to work on that. Obviously depression often doesn't have an explanation, so maybe you feel down for no reason. My reasons back at school were the fact that my 'friends' were quite unkind and left me feeling alone and down, and on top of that there was all this pressure to go to university, and the work just piled up. Then there was unresolved anxiety- I'd never gone and gotten help so I felt lost and alone. I was unable to do presentations and speak up in front of people, which of course made me self-conscious and feel worse about myself.

However, once I realised what my problem was- mainly my anxiety and feelings of loneliness, I began to try to help myself heal. Step 1- my 'friends'. I distanced myself from a lot of them, and I actually spoke to more people. This also helped with my anxiety. I found a girl in my year and a couple of my classes who had some of the same issues as I did- feeling depressed etc. We got along well and my friends didn't like this. But once they saw I was becoming more independent, they actually became better friends. The people I distanced myself from are now just memories, and I'm glad- but the people who stuck with me, are now still my closest friends three years on. So, for one make sure you have a support network around you. This includes friends and family. Don't let anybody bring you down to their level because this will only make you feel more depressed.

Step 2 for me was to sort out my work load. If you are feeling pressured by all your work, then make sure you make a plan maybe. Planning was my fave in year 13, and I had a timetable sorted so I knew what to revise, and when. This made my time more spread out and gave me time to myself too! I utilised my free periods (if you get them too?) and I got most of my revision done in the day. My essays, homeworks and tasks given would therefore be my only priority when I got home and I got them done, then had the rest of the afternoons to myself.

I think once you are properly planned and know what you want in life, you might begin to feel a little happier. My suggestion to you is get your personal statement done ASAP unless you already have done it. If you are off to uni, get your applications out of the way as soon as you can. Or whatever else you plan to do with your future. Find out what grades you need, and then work towards them. This made me feel so much better because within the first few months I had completed my statement, got it checked by teachers, sent my uni application off, and knew exactly what grades and points I needed to get into my Uni's. I found I even forgot I was depressed sometimes- too stressed to be depressed! Stress can be a good thing. It keeps you on your toes and it's also exciting because it's all about your future.

So big tips for trying to get through the year? Be yourself 100%, because when you get out of there you will be able to find people just like you, and will make friends for life! Secondly, I'd let somebody know your feelings. The best thing to do is confide in a teacher or best friend or family member, because you don't want to get yourself in a rut, because your grades might suffer. If it gets really bad- seek a GP's help and they can do a lot to try and make your mental health better. And lastly, just think about your future. Think that in a years time you will be finished school and be going out into the big wide world, and the world really will be at your fingertips. You can do what you want, be who you want. Don't let anybody drag you down and set those goals- and smash them! I believe in you, because you want to make it.

Thank you so much for your reply x like you I think the two biggest factors in my life getting me down are friends (compatibility issues/lack of) and the pressure of A2.
I just so badly wanted to start the new year positively but it's so hard. I'll follow your advice and hopefully things will sort themselves out..... the problem is that my philosophy so far has been tomorrow will be better, but it never is.
Reply 4
Original post by TeddyBear86
Have you spoken to anyone about how your feeling? Perhaps have a word with your parents to see what can be done to help you reduce

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending

I dont exactly have the best relationship with my parents and friends are an issue so I honestly have no one to talk to. Plus the fact that talking about things like this is pretty embarrassing seeing as everyone else seems to be able to navigate life so well, whilst I can barely get out of bed.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much for your reply x like you I think the two biggest factors in my life getting me down are friends (compatibility issues/lack of) and the pressure of A2.
I just so badly wanted to start the new year positively but it's so hard. I'll follow your advice and hopefully things will sort themselves out..... the problem is that my philosophy so far has been tomorrow will be better, but it never is.

That's okay! Yeah I know what you mean about friends, they can really get you down because you rely on them to get you through your A-Levels! And the pressure can get on top of you, but know that you definitely are not alone. I think 3 out of 5 people at my school broke down because of the pressure at one point, but you can bounce back! My sister suffered too, she had to go to the doctor for depression, and that's pretty much the same as me back in 6th form. You can get through it if you realise that in one year you are moving onto bigger and better things, and you are likely going to make a lot of new friends that these friends now will seem like a distant memory (but they don't have to be of course! I'm still friends with some people from school).

Yeah it's difficult especially at the start. That's when a lot of people quit and give up, at least 3 of my friends had gone by the end of year 12/beginning of 13, BUT you didn't leave yet, haven't given up, which is a great start! Keep going, and maybe one day tomorrow will be better, and it's uphill from there x

Quick Reply

Latest