The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by &Hope
what universities usually have the lowest ukcat entry requirements?

Have you had a look at keele? I don't think they use the UKCAT quite heavily
Just done my ukcat and got 627, I've got 5A*s and 5A GCSEs and AAAaa at ALevel, do you think I need to sit the BMAT?:frown:
Original post by ASTK98
Who told you those GCSE grades aren't "great"?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard from other students, teacher lectures that you need more A*s, around 7/8 to have a good chance
Reply 4003
Original post by 123ash
you can use the + on keyboard. But make sure you ave num lock on. :-)

Thank you that makes my life so much easier!!!!!!
Does anyone have any tips on improving timing for VR and QR?
Is the following alright for King's and Manchester?

580 Verbal
800 Quantitative
660 Abstract

680 Average; Band 2
Wow those are some fantastic scores everyone :biggrin:

I just sat my UKCAT today and was so nervous but in the end I came out with 600 in VR and 690 in AR and QR, giving me a total of 1980 and band 2 in SJT.

The universities I want to apply to are Bham, Bristol, Sheffield and Keele. I got 12 A*s at GCSE. Is this UKCAT score good/safe for the unis I want to apply to? I just beat the Sheffield cut off score of 1850 but is it still too low?

And all the tips and guidance everyone shared in here was so useful, thank you so much and good luck to everyone yet to take the test :biggrin: ️xxx
Hi there j just did the the ukcat send for some reason performed well under from what I was expecting. I got AR 590 VR 560 and QR 750.
😥
I am applying from Ireland I got 7a1s in their a level equivalent and 8as in GCSE equivalent.
I was originally intending to apply to kings ,Bart's , queens Belfast and Birmingham.
Can some one please advise me where I should apply and should I avoid any of the above. (Or any others)
Any help will be much appreciated . Thanks in advance.
Original post by Abitat Eco
Wow those are some fantastic scores everyone :biggrin:

I just sat my UKCAT today and was so nervous but in the end I came out with 600 in VR and 690 in AR and QR, giving me a total of 1980 and band 2 in SJT.

The universities I want to apply to are Bham, Bristol, Sheffield and Keele. I got 12 A*s at GCSE. Is this UKCAT score good/safe for the unis I want to apply to? I just beat the Sheffield cut off score of 1850 but is it still too low?

And all the tips and guidance everyone shared in here was so useful, thank you so much and good luck to everyone yet to take the test :biggrin: ️xxx

With 12A* at GCSE have you considered cardiff? You will be in a very good shot for an interview here. UKCAT isnt used until post interview in a few tie break sitauations.

Keele like a lot of hours of voluntary work so keep that in mind, sheffield rank the UKCAT and invite the highest scorers to interview. Bristol mainly rely on the PS.

I would say strong choices for you are cardiff, bham, QUB, UEA, leicester, keele (if you have good voluntary work) and bristol if you have a good PS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M0nkey Thunder

580 Verbal
800 Quantitative
660 Abstract

680 Average; Band 2

More than enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M0nkey Thunder

580 Verbal
800 Quantitative
660 Abstract

680 Average; Band 2

KCL depends on GCSEs but should be good for manchester x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxxsbxxx
hi, which are the most ukcat heavy unis? I got 767 today which I wasn't expecting (my mocks were all low) so haven't looked into ones that use it more x

Newcastle, glasgow, manchester, sheffield, southampton, exeter, plymouth.

Depending on your other stats some also use it alongside GCSE grades and Alevels so you may get an even stronger score when they are combined

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 123ash
I'm not sure when it comes to the UG courses. I'm a grad so only looked into those Uni's. Sorry not much help

I'm sure you've already answered this, Ash, but how do the UKCAT requirements differ between Grad and UG Medicine. Are they higher for Grad courses?

I'm a graduate of law (2.1) and hopeful medic and I have just taken my AS exams (predicted A*A* and I already have AABB in original sitting). I was originally going to apply for UG only courses to maximise my chances of getting in.. but do you think if I get a good UKCAT score I would stand a chance of getting into grad med?
Original post by mbradley42
I'm sure you've already answered this, Ash, but how do the UKCAT requirements differ between Grad and UG Medicine. Are they higher for Grad courses?

I'm a graduate of law (2.1) and hopeful medic and I have just taken my AS exams (predicted A*A* and I already have AABB in original sitting). I was originally going to apply for UG only courses to maximise my chances of getting in.. but do you think if I get a good UKCAT score I would stand a chance of getting into grad med?

They are higher for grad courses yes as there is more competition for fewer places.
If you can get over 720 then you stand a chance at some grad med courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just did the UKCAT:VR: 530 (it was hard)QR: 850AR: 600 (disappointing)SJ: Band 2AVG: 660Do I stand a chance for Barts/King's or St george's? A2 predictions most likely to be A*A*AA
Original post by Natalierm2707
Newcastle, glasgow, manchester, sheffield, southampton, exeter, plymouth.

Depending on your other stats some also use it alongside GCSE grades and Alevels so you may get an even stronger score when they are combined

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is Glasgow considered a heavy UKCAT university? Last year was quite high in terms of the lowest score they considered but the two previous years, the lowest scores considered were around the average?

Is it because they rank the first 700 (who meet the other qualifications) for interview based on UKCAT score?
guys I've done really badly in my ukcat
I got
VR 590
QR 770
AR 550
SJ Band 2

I also got 4 A's at AS level and 10 A* at GCSE

what medical school can I apply to with a realistic chance of getting In?

thanks in advance
Original post by 123ash
Please don't mind me asking. I ASKED BECAUSE MY UKCAT IS TOMORROW AND FOR THE LAST TWO WEEKS I HAVE NOT IMPROVED. My score is not even good for the required 5yr UG courses. I myself just want to get in, so have been thinking of asking family and friends for help financially. But It's just too much. But if I could get the help, I would def be looking into it too.

But yes, It is all down to the UKCAT score, and hopefully you'll excel and get a hit score.

Good luck. When is your test?*

a lot of people do mock tests do ok and then really excell in the real thing. apparently it isnt as harshly marked as things like medify etc. honestly just practice as much as you can because you will most likely to much better in the real thing

i can still get student loan with UG and bank loans for fees, ill be a qualified nurse so can work on the side and due to my course finishing in january if i went to do medicine i would be working for 8 months and have money saved and then through summers i can work full time and get lot more money so it should work out ok

my exam is this saturday! the 10th, when is yours?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fleuves
I think you might be eligible for tuition fee funding from SFE because you would have had them covered by the NHS for your Nursing, wouldn't you? So technically as you haven't borrowed any tuition fee funding from SFE before I think you might get more than most in your circumstances? :-) **

good point! yeah my fees were/are paid by the nhs so yeah may be able to loan for fees too. if not i know banks willingly give loans to students in my position because of the ability to pay it back in the future and the basically guaranteed employment
Original post by Mulbkat84
Why is Glasgow considered a heavy UKCAT university? Last year was quite high in terms of the lowest score they considered but the two previous years, the lowest scores considered were around the average?

Is it because they rank the first 700 (who meet the other qualifications) for interview based on UKCAT score?

the published lowest scores they consider is quite surprising though. my sister is a 3rd year medic at glasgow and she was very surprised to hear about the lowest score that they have said they considered for her year as pretty much everyone she had talked to in her year scored near or above 700. it may be coincidental but it is interesting and strange.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending