The Student Room Group

Talking To Teachers!!?

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by flossg
Okay, so I'm a very unconfident student (I hate answering questions in class etc.) but I feel like I'm drowning in schoolwork and I need help from my subject teachers. The issue is that I'm scared to ask them for help (no idea why, but DON'T just tell me to 'go for it' bc that won't work. I have tried everything else, I know I need extra help - it's the sourcing of it from teachers which is the problem.

Thanks in advance,
@flossg

Can you email them on your school network?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Probably going to get shot down in flames but.....how about asking one of your parents to mention it? It doesn't have to be a massive thing, a quick phone call to your Head of year of pastoral officer, asking if an email could be sent to your teachers. They could just mention that you're feeling swamped and need a little extra help but you're too shy to ask. Honestly, you'd be surprised by the number of those emails we get :wink:
Do you have an email address you can contact them through? If so, then that might be an easier option for you.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but you should try and pluck up the courage to ask them about it. At the end of the day, they're there to help you get the best grades possible, and aren't going to be annoyed if you ask for help.

Going out of your comfort zone and approaching a teacher - perhaps after a lesson with them - will do you loads of favours in the long run.
(edited 7 years ago)
You could go to them at the end of a class if you are scared of your other classmates knowing, or walk up to their desk and speak to them quietly about it during the lesson so it is less obvious? Or if your school doesn't mind students going to staff rooms at lunch, you could knock on their office then and arrange a time where you can go over the things you're struggling with.

You can email them if you don't want to initially confront them face-to-face, although I wouldn't recommend this unless you really can't speak to them because it is a good idea to start being more comfortable with your teachers and just confident in general :smile:

Overall though, I'd really recommend talking to your teachers. They want you to succeed and I'm pretty sure they love it when you ask them for help, because that's why started teaching! You really don't want to fall behind with your work just because you were too scared to ask... honestly, you'll regret it by exam time if you still don't understand a concept that they could have taught you in 10 minutes.
Honestly, the teacher's job is to help you and answer your questions. It's their role and it's what they are there for. If you are not confident enough to talk to your teachers in person, maybe you could drop them an email. My school has an email system with all teachers on it so we can contact teachers about work at any time.

You shouldn't make a big thing out of asking the teacher for help, it's a perfectly normal thing and most successful students ask for help! It could be confidential if you're worried about your peers knowing you need help with a certain subject so you could visit your teacher before/after class or visit them during break/lunch/after school.

Teachers are normal and nice people, and their to help and they can really make you feel at ease if you have any concerns about your subjects. I remember in Year 10 I flopped a Chemistry test, and I felt terrible for the remainder of the day, but decided to speak to my teacher about it after school at it really put me at ease about flopping this test lol!

Good luck, and I hope you can improve your confidence in the future. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest