The Student Room Group

emotional attachment???

I need major advice because I've let it get to such a point it's extremely unhealthy.
So me and my parents never really talked things through emotionally. Yes of course I loved them, they've given me incredible opportunities in life like attending a private school with a bursary, food and roof over my head. But they've never been the support your kids emotionally sort of parents. They're also extremely religious so any issue I've had (and trust me I've had issues) they tell me to pray it away and shrug it off. So silly me, in search of a mother figure, reassurance, validation, whatnot, got attached to one of my teachers. (Not in like a sexual way mind you). I literally have to repeat to myself as a mantra every day 'she's your teacher not your makeshift mother' and every day I cry. Like it's that bad. I can't just avoid her either because she's gonna be my A-Level teacher for two years (I had her prior for GCSE). But how do I break an attachment from someone I cannot necessarily break loose from? Also I just don't want to... I feel listened to by her and I can say anything around her and she's not gonna judge me and always offer her support. Stop it's literally so embarrassing like obviously those taking GCSE exams had extended summers and like I'm just a mentally unstable individual generally so if I'm dealing with anything she is the first point of call but obviously I can't talk to her cause it's summer break so I kinda just like imagine what she would say and flashback to previous conversations I had. Anyway I've waffled on too much. Point being...help?!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I need major advice because I've let it get to such a point it's extremely unhealthy.
So me and my parents never really talked things through emotionally. Yes of course I loved them, they've given me incredible opportunities in life like attending a private school with a bursary, food and roof over my head. But they've never been the support your kids emotionally sort of parents. They're also extremely religious so any issue I've had (and trust me I've had issues) they tell me to pray it away and shrug it off. So silly me, in search of a mother figure, reassurance, validation, whatnot, got attached to one of my teachers. (Not in like a sexual way mind you). I literally have to repeat to myself as a mantra every day 'she's your teacher not your makeshift mother' and every day I cry. Like it's that bad. I can't just avoid her either because she's gonna be my A-Level teacher for two years (I had her prior for GCSE). But how do I break an attachment from someone I cannot necessarily break loose from? Also I just don't want to... I feel listened to by her and I can say anything around her and she's not gonna judge me and always offer her support. Stop it's literally so embarrassing like obviously those taking GCSE exams had extended summers and like I'm just a mentally unstable individual generally so if I'm dealing with anything she is the first point of call but obviously I can't talk to her cause it's summer break so I kinda just like imagine what she would say and flashback to previous conversations I had. Anyway I've waffled on too much. Point being...help?!

i think this is called co-dependant? where you kind of lose yourself in someone by idiolizing and relying on them for reassurance / validation. there are lots of free online group meetings that you could find really helpful in understanding and figuring out your situation! good luck!
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hey !!

This is a late reply, but how are you now?

I can relate lol. Ive always been attached to male teachers and older males bc I haven’t got a good relationship with my dad but for the first time ever this year I’ve gotten attached to a female teacher lol. And it’s ****ed me up bc I don’t sexualise her or anything, but like I feel weird seeing her as a mum as well? Esp since I’d always thought that my relationship with my mum was ok but maybe not. I’m scared to disappoint her and i’ve only known her for two months but I’ve never been this attached before, I look forwardto seeing her and talking to her and it’s annoying asf

I havent really got advice but thought you might feel better knowing somebody else is in a sort of similar position
In what sort of ways are you seeking reassurance and validation from your teacher?
Can you share a scenario.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending