The Student Room Group

Bullied, Insulted By Teacher

I'm a political science student, and for the third time, my teacher has made hurtful comments about my appearance, calling me unattractive and ugly. He even asked, 'Do you think any girl would want to talk to you when you look like this?' He said this in front of the entire class, and they all laughed. To make matters worse, he also mentioned that I'm financially disadvantaged.
I'm feeling really upset and can't concentrate on anything because these comments keep replaying in my mind. What should I do in this situation to cope with the emotional distress it's causing me?
That's absolutely disgusting behaviour from your teacher. I'd report it to someone and get this whole thing sorted out. I don't know if this teacher was joking, but I wouldn't think so at all. This sort of behaviour shouldn't be tolerated at all and should be punished. Please don't let anything burden you, just seek support and guidance from other members of faculty and your family.
Reply 2
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
That's absolutely disgusting behaviour from your teacher. I'd report it to someone and get this whole thing sorted out. I don't know if this teacher was joking, but I wouldn't think so at all. This sort of behaviour shouldn't be tolerated at all and should be punished. Please don't let anything burden you, just seek support and guidance from other members of faculty and your family.

I feel powerless to address the issue, as voicing my concerns to the department head would likely be futile. They are likely to support their colleague, not me, and may place the blame on me rather than the teacher, using arguments like 'you're the problem' and similar justifications.
Original post by Anonymous
I feel powerless to address the issue, as voicing my concerns to the department head would likely be futile. They are likely to support their colleague, not me, and may place the blame on me rather than the teacher, using arguments like 'you're the problem' and similar justifications.

Why on earth would they think that? If they do think this then I'd stop attending straight away. I think the fear might be talking when you say the department head will support their colleague, you just need to go to that department and tell them firmly what happened. If they don't help then stop attending the class and if you get in trouble for it explain this incident to them and that you won't attend until this issue has been ironed out.
No helpful advice but I understand and empathesise with you.
I had a similar experience with a maths teacher who kept on asking me what country I was from and saying the reason that I couldn't answer the long answer stats question was because I didn't speak english well... I have literally won national poetry competitions but okay.
English was my first language - I was born here and have always lived here... So were my parents... It's crazy... Some teachers just shouldn't be teachers...
I reported it to my tutor and he managed to switch classes, if you want to you can ask for privacy and for the official reason behind the move to be something like "I don't understand the teachers teaching style"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending