The Student Room Group

Someone explain Unconditional offers please!

Hi, I've just started year 13 and i will be applying to universities through UCAS soon.

What is the deal with unconditional offers? I don't understand how a Uni can accept you purely based off your predicted grades when you haven't actually taken any A2 tests yet?!

Another query; i'm predicted A*A*B at A-level, if i apply to a range of ABB/AAB courses, is there a chance of receiving an unconditional offer? Or does it only apply to people predicted say, A*A*A* applying to courses much below their predicted grades? I really don't understand the concept and it seems totally far fetched to me that a university would allow a student to not get the grades required and still join their uni.
Original post by lw8
Hi, I've just started year 13 and i will be applying to universities through UCAS soon.

What is the deal with unconditional offers? I don't understand how a Uni can accept you purely based off your predicted grades when you haven't actually taken any A2 tests yet?!

Another query; i'm predicted A*A*B at A-level, if i apply to a range of ABB/AAB courses, is there a chance of receiving an unconditional offer? Or does it only apply to people predicted say, A*A*A* applying to courses much below their predicted grades? I really don't understand the concept and it seems totally far fetched to me that a university would allow a student to not get the grades required and still join their uni.

Students who have achieved their A-level results and then apply for courses on UCAS during their gap year will get an unconditional offer.

It is extremely rare for students to get unconditional offers purely based on predicted grades but it happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Students who have achieved their A-level results and then apply for courses on UCAS during their gap year will get an unconditional offer.

It is extremely rare for students to get unconditional offers purely based on predicted grades but it happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay Thanks, in what case would a student receive an unconditional offer purely based off predicted grades?
Original post by lw8
Okay Thanks, in what case would a student receive an unconditional offer purely based off predicted grades?

Honestly I'm not too sure.
It may be based on the experience that they've had or that particular course doesn't require as much academic grades or that course may not be as competitive every year so they give out unconditional offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Honestly I'm not too sure.
It may be based on the experience that they've had or that particular course doesn't require as much academic grades or that course may not be as competitive every year so they give out unconditional offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay, i'd imagine if someone came first in say the Maths olympiad and was going on to take Maths at uni, and had predicted grades of A*A*A* in maths, further maths and physics, its fairly obvious he will get those grades (at least in maths and further maths), therefore they may want to ensure that student chooses their course.
Original post by lw8
Ah okay, i'd imagine if someone came first in say the Maths olympiad and was going on to take Maths at uni, and had predicted grades of A*A*A* in maths, further maths and physics, its fairly obvious he will get those grades (at least in maths and further maths), therefore they may want to ensure that student chooses their course.

True
But he still may get a conditional offer instead of unconditional as anything can happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest