The Student Room Group

World Suicide Prevention Day - 10th September 2016

World Suicide Prevention Day - 10th September 2016

Since 2003, World Suicide Prevention Day (WSPD) has taken place on September 10th of each year. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has estimated that over 800,000 people die by suicide each year that’s one person every 40 seconds and that 25 times this number (that'd be 20 million people) attempt suicide. It's also the biggest killer of young people under the age of 35 - both male and female.

Until 1961, suicide was a crime. This meant that those who had attempted the act and those families whose loved ones had sadly died this way could be prosecuted. This along with many other things has fueled the stigma associated with talking openly and frankly about it.

It is a huge myth that talking about suicide can implant the suggestion of it in someone's mind; asking someone if they're feeling suicidal will also not make them anymore suicidal than they already might be. Another a myth is that talking doesn’t help and that suicidal people don’t want to talk about it. Neither could be any further from the truth and both myths just fuel the stigma surrounding talking about it.

This year's theme is 'connect, communicate, care' with all three parts having a key role to play in the prevention of suicide:

Connect - Social isolation is a risk factor associated with suicide and simply helping someone who may be feeling this way connect with support such as their GP or even just you checking in on how they're doing can help enormously.

Communicate - This one is simple; communicating and dispelling the myths surrounding suicide and reducing the stigma attached to it means people may be more likely to reach out for help and lives can be saved.

Care - We need to care for both those feeling suicidal and those who have been affected by it. Letting these people we know care about them is such a simple act and can make the world of difference.

We'd like to encourage you to talk about your own experiences of being affected by suicide - whether that's your own personal experience or whether you've been affected by someone you know attempting suicide.

If you need some support outside of your friends and family: The Samaritans, Childline and Nightline are also great if you need someone to speak to, and also have email and instant messaging services if you can't or don't want to speak out loud to someone. If you're struggling, your GP is always a good first point of call though

You can post anonymously in this thread
I have personally been affected by suicidal thoughts and attempts personally. Over the years I have made a number of attempts on my life following periods of distress, isolation and hopelessness. This lead to many admissions to hospital and multiple detentions under the Mental Health Act for various reasons.

My attempts were often not seen as an act of desperation, I often came across those who would describe my behaviour as attention seeking and manipulative. I do attribute this to my diagnosis at the time of Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, a difficulty which many attribute to manipulative and attention seeking behaviour, rather than viewing these behaviours as the result of extreme distress.

I'm lucky to have found a social worker who listened and view my distress beyond those discriminatory assumptions. I can credit this as being the main factor in me getting to the stage where I am able to manage my suicidal feelings, alongside receiving Dialectical Behavioural Therapy.

I am now in a much better place - I am proud for the last 2 years, I have not made any attempts on my life. This may not sound like much, but at many points in my past, I did not think I would last beyond the night. I am training to be a social worker, and I just started my final year.

For anyone feeling suicidal, I would just recommend some simple things. Talk to someone. Try to use strategies to ride out the urges. Be open and honest with yourself. Do whatever you need to be in a safe place. Like everything, this too shall pass. And finally, thoughts and feelings are not facts - if you feel like no one cares and that everyone will be happier if you are dead - try to challenge this, and remember that just because we think it, doesn't make it true.

I am happy to answer any questions that people may have. It has taken me a while but I am happy to say that I have survived suicide attempts and suicidal feelings - and I am proud of what I have achieved.
Original post by bullettheory
I am now in a much better place - I am proud for the last 2 years, I have not made any attempts on my life. This may not sound like much, but at many points in my past, I did not think I would last beyond the night. I am training to be a social worker, and I just started my final year... It has taken me a while but I am happy to say that I have survived suicide attempts and suicidal feelings - and I am proud of what I have achieved.

I know I don't really know you aside from on here, but I'm really proud of all you've achieved too! It's incredible and you're a true inspiration to many of us in MHSS, I'm sure :h:

Huge thanks to @Deyesy for such a great opening post and for initiating this thread. Talking about these issues openly is definitely one way of busting stigma and misunderstandings, and good on TSR for championing the mental health forum on here and such discussions!

I have made three attempts to end things: first in 2010, then an anniversary attempt in 2011, and then another one in Jan 2014. I don't wanna go into it too much but the first attempt was in the middle of my third year Finals. My university reacted very inappropriately upon learning of the attempt, which made it all the more distressing. At my university, first year exams did not count towards the degree and there were no second year exams - my entire degree classification rested on my third year coursework and exams. So obviously, with my suicide attempt in the middle of my Finals, the whole exam/coursework period was a blur and rather shambolic. I left uni with a 2.2 and even though people tell me how proud I should be (especially considering I nearly died - literally - trying to get those exams done), I struggle to see how well I did to muddle through that situation :frown:

My current aim is to get to Jan 2017 without an attempt - that would mean three years of being suicide attempt-free, which would be the longest I've gone without an attempt since getting ill with schizoaffective disorder (which, if you haven't come across it, is - put crudely - a delightful mix of schizophrenia and bipolar). Longer-term aims are to get through my entire PhD without an attempt but one step at a time! :redface:

My advice to those feeling suicidal is to confide in someone and to not hold back - let them know how you are really feeling. If they deal with it badly or don't react, tell someone else - tell anyone and everyone until you are heard. You are important and valuable and lovable.

To those trying to deal with suicidal people like myself, my advice would be to make sure that person knows how much you care and how much you love them. Us Brits sometimes take the stiff upper lip thing too far. Don't guilt trip people into staying alive for you though - they have to want it for themselves. And don't be afraid to seek support for yourself whilst dealing with a suicidal friend or relative.

:grouphugs:
Reply 3
Thanks Deysey for making a really informative post and a place for people to feel safe discussing this subject. Like a lot of MH topics, I feel the discussion of suicide is very much swept under the carpet and rarely spokenly about openly. A lot of the time those who are feeling suicidal are scared to open up about how they feel in case they get called attention seeking or they are too scared to tell people they have a mental health problem due to the stigma that brings, let alone the added stigma of feeling suicidal. I have been affected by suicide/suicidal feelings both personally and by people around me. I'll try to be as open as I can be but still try to keep things as safe as possible for others to read as I know this can be a very upsetting subject for a lot of people.

My own attempt - (suicidal/SH content)

Spoiler

Losing loved ones to suicide

Spoiler

My advice is that if you are feeling suicidal or very low, please talk to someone. It can be a close friend or family member, but even opening up to a stranger online or over the phone to a service like Samaritans could be beneficial. It sounds cliched but talking and opening up, however hard it is, really does release a lot of tension and can help. It wont cure you, but admitting you have a problem and seeking help is the first step to recovering. You are worthy of life and worthy of feeling better than you do know, regardless of what people or your illnesses say :hugs:

As for helping someone who is depressed or suicidal, I think the best thing you can do is to listen and not undermine them. Don't say things like "what have you got to be down about?", "people have it worse than you" etc. Keep an eye on them as well. Don't hound them but keep an eye out and if they are getting worse, seek help. They wont like it but in the long run, it would do them the world of good.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Spock's Socks

As for helping someone who is depressed or suicidal, I think the best thing you can do is to listen and not undermine them. Don't say things like "what have you got to be down about?", "people have it worse than you" etc. Keep an eye on them as well. Don't hound them but keep an eye out and if they are getting worse, seek help. They wont like it but in the long run, it would do them the world of good.

My friend's reaction was to call the police. He also contacted my dad. That was a really awkward conversation with both my dad and my friend. I was at uni at the time. My friend informed me a few days later what he had done. He (my friend) kept telling me that I had left him with no choice and he reacted the way he did because of how I was being with him.
ik someone who killed themselves and honestly idk whether i am being cynical or not here but the amount of love shown to said person after they died probably could have gone some way to prevent it in the first place.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
ik someone who killed themselves and honestly idk whether i am being cynical or not here but the amount of love shown to said person after they died probably could have gone some way to prevent it in the first place.

This sort of situation is sadly all too common :frown:
Reply 7
Thank you so much to those who have shared their stories so far. I've just taken the time to read them all and I'm so sorry you've all struggled at some point. I'm also very pleased the Community Team gave the green light to talk about an issue that is swept under the carpet as many of you have said.

I'd agree with what anon has said; there always seems to be an outpouring of love after the person said has died which ultimately has come too late. I remember tweeting on my Twitter account that 'It's like I'm dead to people when infact I'm alive but okay, like I don't really exist anymore but in a good way for people' and 'I'm dead to people but without the greiving, the sadness...' We'll never know the reasons behind the person not reaching out to people but the stigma associated with it may be of those reasons; it makes connecting and caring about anyone we think may be struggling even more important
I hope people don't mind but a friend/former colleague of mine vlogs with her best friend about their experiences of being bereaved by suicide in their family, and people's reactions to it. They're trying to challenge/deconstruct the stigma about it. Their YouTube channel - suicidetabooandlifewithoutyou - is here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRaU6_Bs7G8MCx4WWlLlfpA

Disclaimer: I haven't watched these videos yet, for various reasons, but I trust my friend. Does come with sensitive content, obviously, so make sure you're in a safe, stable place if you decide to watch any of the vlogs :smile:
Preventing suicide? Only if it puts other lives in danger. Suicide is ultimately the choice of the person who commits it. Seriously, the way this world is running right now it'll be within our lifetimes that our purpose in life is just to live for one more day.
Original post by Deyesy
'I'm dead to people but without the greiving, the sadness...'

Both those sentences you wrote are very sad but this one in particular is just like :jumphug:
Reply 11
Original post by shawn_o1
Preventing suicide? Only if it puts other lives in danger. Suicide is ultimately the choice of the person who commits it. Seriously, the way this world is running right now it'll be within our lifetimes that our purpose in life is just to live for one more day.

One thing people try and get away from is using the word 'commit' when it comes to talking about suicide. You commit a robbery, a theft etc. and so using the phrase 'commit suicide' reinforces the idea that suicide is still a crime and so people try and use the word 'attempt' instead.

I also think we should try and prevent suicide regardless of who it puts in danger and that sometimes the only way to get through rough patches is to get through it day by day.

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Both those sentences you wrote are very sad but this one in particular is just like :jumphug:

I have a way of with words when I struggle :redface: The meaning behind it still holds some truth. Mental illnesses can make you feel completely invisbile to people.
Original post by Deyesy
One thing people try and get away from is using the word 'commit' when it comes to talking about suicide. You commit a robbery, a theft etc. and so using the phrase 'commit suicide' reinforces the idea that suicide is still a crime and so people try and use the word 'attempt' instead.

I also think we should try and prevent suicide regardless of who it puts in danger and that sometimes the only way to get through rough patches is to get through it day by day.

Nicely said. As I said in my post, we shouldn't be guilt-tripping people: people do have to want it for themselves. Yet at the same time, I do feel most suicides are preventable and therefore it should be everyone's aim to better help those who feel there's no other way out :yes:

I have a way of with words when I struggle :redface: The meaning behind it still holds some truth. Mental illnesses can make you feel completely invisbile to people.

:frown:

Well I hope you know you can always PM for a chat if you need to. I know we're not Facebook friends anymore but I don't have a heart of stone and I do wanna help if I can :redface:
Thanks a lot to Deyesy for such a wonderful post, and to the CT for allowing us to talk about this.

I made one (obviously unsuccessful) attempt on my life when I was 14 after struggling for many years. It all started when I was 8 and facing homelessness. I ended up homeless at 9, and I remember walking down the street thinking 'if this car passes me before I reach this sign, then I'll end it'. I never did, but I played that game every hour of every day for years. It was a really difficult decision for me to make, but I couldn't live like I was anymore. My younger brother had been suffering with mental health problems for many years, and was going through a psychotic break. No one understood what was happening, and the doctors didn't believe anything was wrong with him. He got worse and worse, and made ultimately 8 attempts on my life. I was getting no help, and no one would believe me. My mum told me she'd kick me out if I told anyone, and tried to a few times for saying I was going to, and she used to think I must've done something to provoke him into trying to kill me like that anyway. Now things are so much different. I got myself to the GP and got put on medication which really turned things around for me. Of course, I was still depressed and my situation needed to change, but I was able to actually deal with how I was feeling a lot better and in a healthier way. Eventually, when I was 16, I got up the courage to tell my school about the situation who helped me get in touch with social services. Since then, things have been getting better and better for everyone. My mum's mental health has improved, as has mine. My brother is currently sectioned and in hospital, but he has more understanding of his condition and is doing really well. No one knows what condition/s he has, but he's being treated and it's going really well. He's actually quite happy now.

I've also been involved in the running of a community for about 19 months, and I deal with anyone suffering with mental health issues. A lot of the kids that join us have ASD, but there are a number of both children and adults with such a wide range of MH issues. It's heartbreaking when kids aged 8-14 come to me because they feel like they just can't live anymore, but it's the most rewarding thing when they come back a few weeks later to let me know that the service I've referred them to has helped them so much and they're getting some kind of help. Even if they never talk to me again, just seeing them interact with people and continue to make friends makes me smile. It's quite a heavy thing to deal with that, so the most important thing for me is to have someone I can talk to or some place to turn in case it gets a bit too much. I need to look after myself, too, if I want to keep helping these people.

This is such an important topic to talk about. It's something so many people will be affected by in some way or another. I've taken short courses in training to help deal with people going through suicidal thoughts because I wanted to be able to learn how to help people best where help was needed. I'd also like to say though, that the instant messaging services are amazing. I've talked to Childline over the phone in the past, because it was quicker getting through and everything was a mess so I needed to talk to someone ASAP, but I always used to use the IM services if something was going on. The people who run them are wonderful, and they can direct you to where you need to go. Whether you need someone to just listen, or some advice, they're there. Never underestimate how something like that can help a person.

I really love the message of 'connect, communicate, care.'

Quick Reply

Latest