The Student Room Group

PGDE Applications 2017 (Scotland)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi! I'm thinking about applying for the PGDE Primary course, but I'm a tad worried about my qualifications... I graduated in 2013 with an ordinary degree in Politics and went onto study Graduate Entry LLB but I left halfway through, as I got a job in politics. I've had plenty of classroom teaching experience but it was abroad and about 7 years ago when I was at school! I'm thinking about applying to do the Certificate of Higher Education in Education Studies (Primary) at the Open University and get some classroom experience. I've sent emails to my alma mater and some schools in my local council area but not heard anything back. Any advice on how to get work experience and if the OU course is worth my time and money would be greatly appreciated!
Hey :smile:

I have just sent away my application for 2017 entry for PGDE Primary Teaching! I don't think I will get anywhere though as they will probably say I need more experience.

I've had 1 year volunteer experience in a Primary School, High School work experience in a Primary, and continued experience being the oldest of five children and I have my own child. I didn't stay to do my honours so I have an ordinary degree in Biological Sciences, Higher English B and National 5 Math C along with my other qualifications.

As I said I don't think I will get offered a place, but I wanted to try anyway.

I hope everyone gets good news!
Reply 42
Original post by hpgirl28
Hey :smile:

I have just sent away my application for 2017 entry for PGDE Primary Teaching! I don't think I will get anywhere though as they will probably say I need more experie

I've had 1 year volunteer experience in a Primary School, High School work experience in a Primary, and continued experience being the oldest of five children and I have my own child. I didn't stay to do my honours so I have an ordinary degree in Biological Sciences, Higher English B and National 5 Math C along with my other qualifications.

As I said I don't think I will get offered a place, but I wanted to try anyway.

I hope everyone gets good news!

Good luck. Is that for a Scotland uni? The one I hope to apply to (nearest me) is a B minimum for nat5 maths. Ugh!
Yeah in Scotland, they accept C minimum for National 5 Math which is good :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by hpgirl28
Yeah in Scotland, they accept C minimum for National 5 Math which is good :smile:

Edinburgh ask for a nat 5 grade B on their website; do you thinkit’d still be worth applying with a ‘C’ grade?
Original post by fjeff
Edinburgh ask for a nat 5 grade B on their website; do you thinkit’d still be worth applying with a ‘C’ grade?

There is no harm in trying but I haven't applied to Edinburgh as it is too far from me :smile:
Original post by Mazzia
Hoping to apply for a PGDE for entry next year! I graduated in 2015 with a 2:1 and have been since working with a huge variety of ages of children and young people as an artist and volunteering as a Rainbow and Guide Leader. I'm getting some school experience in the next few weeks (just to make sure!) and hoping to apply for a Primary PGDE in October/November. Bit worried I don't have enough school experience, but I can only try!

This all sounds really good! I read as long as you have a total of 2 weeks minimum it'll be okay, especially with all your rainbow and guide work :smile:
Original post by lizzydripping152
Hi, I'm hoping to apply for 2017 too! I'm in the final year of my degree in London with a predicted 2:1 but I want to move to Scotland to do a PGDE in secondary school. My biggest concern is that although I have a lot of experience working with teenagers - I haven't got any experience in a classroom environment yet. It worries me that the application deadline is January 2017 and I have no teaching experience (well, I taught for a week in a primary school but that was 3 years ago!)

I know that a lot of the unis do like a minimum of 2 weeks of some form of classroom experience. Do you do brownies or guides kind of thing? Because that kind of volunteering counts :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by fjeff
Let me know where you end up getting booked for maths. Argyll college have majorly ***** up my application for national 5 and now i can't get a place, after them promising me a place back in july.
it's annoying because there's an OU course that's the equivalent of a grade C, which would be fine down in England but not up here.
I looked into cloudlearn (i think it's called) but i grudge paying £400 for some handouts (which are probably all online anyway) and then another £100+ just to book and sit the exam. Do you have an exam centre near you?

I have gone with ics distance learning gcse maths I will b aiming for a minimum B pass. It cost £285 but im glad its my own time and I have a tutor I can contact. I am hoping to send of my ucas at the end of this month. I am just redrafting my statement and confirming which exam centre I will book in may. I am using a head teacher as my reference, at a school I have been getting work experience 2 days a week for two months and will continue for time being as I really enjoyed it. Fingers crossed for everyone xx
Reply 49
Original post by Avt109
I have gone with ics distance learning gcse maths I will b aiming for a minimum B pass. It cost £285 but im glad its my own time and I have a tutor I can contact. I am hoping to send of my ucas at the end of this month. I am just redrafting my statement and confirming which exam centre I will book in may. I am using a head teacher as my reference, at a school I have been getting work experience 2 days a week for two months and will continue for time being as I really enjoyed it. Fingers crossed for everyone xx

That sounds good. What's the course material for ics like? Good quality?
Reply 50
Hpgirl28 where are you applying to? I was sure st Andrews did the pgde but can't find it anywhere online.
Original post by Danzypoo92
I know that a lot of the unis do like a minimum of 2 weeks of some form of classroom experience. Do you do brownies or guides kind of thing? Because that kind of volunteering counts :smile:

Hey! I sent out a tonne of emails for secondary schools in my local area so I'm hoping that a school will bite the bullet. I've also signed up for a two week teaching placement (but it happens after January) so I'm going to mention that I do have future work lined up also. I literally have no shortage of voluntary experience working with children from the ages of 13 - 18 because I did annual summer scheme programmes with a local government funded service that works with homeless/disabled/abused people, to get them back into education and the working world. I helped mentor and get the children involved with the community again so I think this will be in my favour. I volunteered a lot in school as a student myself doing peer mentoring and what not. I also have 4 brothers (the older sis. If I can handle them, I can handle anything lol!) The only thing I'm missing is working with children as a teacher/ teachers assistant so fingers crossed I get enough experience before the end of November!
Hey! I sent out a tonne of emails for secondary schools in my local area so I'm hoping that a school will bite the bullet. I've also signed up for a two week teaching placement (but it happens after January) so I'm going to mention that I do have future work lined up also. I literally have no shortage of voluntary experience working with children from the ages of 13 - 18 because I did annual summer scheme programmes with a local government funded service that works with homeless/disabled/abused people, to get them back into education and the working world. I helped mentor and get the children involved with the community again so I think this will be in my favour. I volunteered a lot in school as a student myself doing peer mentoring and what not. I also have 4 brothers (the older sis. If I can handle them, I can handle anything lol!) The only thing I'm missing is working with children as a teacher/ teachers assistant so fingers crossed I get enough experience before the end of November!

Wow that all sounds amazing! Go you :smile: yeah just mention you do have classroom work and what not set up, when it'll start and how long you'll be doing it for and I reckon you'll be fine :smile: x
Reply 53
Hi
St Andrews don't do the PGDE unfortunately. I'm in my final year at St Andrews just now and I am applying to do my PDGE at Dundee.
Hi everyone, I am applying for my PGDE in Aberdeen and I was just wondering if you know when applications close? It's probably somewhere obvious but with the stress of the application I can't see it. Hope you guys are all getting on OK.
Reply 55
Original post by andoveragain
Hi everyone, I am applying for my PGDE in Aberdeen and I was just wondering if you know when applications close? It's probably somewhere obvious but with the stress of the application I can't see it. Hope you guys are all getting on OK.

UCAS are saying that since it falls under the Undergraduate category for applications, the deadline is 15th January.

I was reading last years thread and they were applying from October right up to January. I hope this helps!
Thanks! I want to teach so badly, I just left it to the last minute when it came to getting actual teaching experience because I was so busy with everything else! My timetable is a bit quieter this year and more flexible so my aim is to fill it with classroom work. X
Original post by Danzypoo92
Wow that all sounds amazing! Go you :smile: yeah just mention you do have classroom work and what not set up, when it'll start and how long you'll be doing it for and I reckon you'll be fine :smile: x

Thank you! always nice to have a bit of reassurance lol. I'm hoping I get some responses in the next few days from those emails, if not, I'm going to start ringing them up and pestering lol! It's crazy sometimes how much experience they expect for teaching - prior to going into a course that actually teaches you how to teach, if you know what I mean? hah. I want this so badly! Regardless of whether or not I get in, I'll still be relocating to Glasgow for sure! x
I've managed to get some work experience in a secondary school for children with special needs. Before I can start, I have to have a DBS check - which will be fine.

I will be a teacher's assistant (voluntary/placement) - Do you think this would be okay for work experience to put down for PGDE (secondary)?
I've managed to get some work experience in a secondary school for children with special needs. Before I can start, I have to have a DBS check - which will be fine.

I will be a teacher's assistant (voluntary/placement) - Do you think this would be okay for work experience to put down for PGDE (secondary)?

Yeah that sounds good! Good getting experience with special needs too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending