The Student Room Group

Got what I've always wanted, but I'm in a state of depression

I have a huge problem - my lack of self confidence/esteem and always thinking negatively. When I go out I always feel self-conscious, and my life at home has been miserable for the past few years, with my dad who is mentally ill often shouting and it really brings the mood in the family down. He has been diagnosed with severe depression and is seeing his GP every now and then from prescription drugs etc. But I can't quite get out of this state of low self-worth and pessimistic thinking.

What is the best thing for me to do? Honest opinions please. Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Seek help, not with someone who will simply prescribe drugs, but who will talk to you about how you're feeling and what is happening in your life.

Keep in mind, this is your time. You can make of it what you want, you have a change to start over. It won't be easy, but you can do it.
Original post by chazcaines
I have a huge problem - my lack of self confidence/esteem and always thinking negatively. When I go out I always feel self-conscious, and my life at home has been miserable for the past few years, with my dad who is mentally ill often shouting and it really brings the mood in the family down. He has been diagnosed with severe depression and is seeing his GP every now and then from prescription drugs etc. But I can't quite get out of this state of low self-worth and pessimistic thinking.

What is the best thing for me to do? Honest opinions please. Thanks.
Sorry to hear you're finding it difficult to cope I know what it's like living in that kind of situation, my dad has similar problems and it can be very distressing to watch someone like that.
How old are you?

You need to make sure you're getting the help and support because if you don't you might become so caught up in helping out at home/dealing with things that you forego working on yourself and towards a future for yourself! :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest