Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trapz99
It's £50k plus bonus

For what? A starting position?
Original post by ImGoingToFail12

front office, first year in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"just remember as an aspiring financier you’ll be working in London after uni anyway"
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but are all finance jobs really in London? I thought there would be some in other fairly large cities like Newcastle, Bristol, and Manchester?
Original post by DarkEnergy
"just remember as an aspiring financier you’ll be working in London after uni anyway"
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but are all finance jobs really in London? I thought there would be some in other fairly large cities like Newcastle, Bristol, and Manchester?

Pretty much all front office finance roles are in London. It is far far better to get a job in London- the financial industry is very much concentrated purely in London.

All 'high finance' or 'financial services' (i-banking, trading, asset management, ultra high net worth private banking, private equity etc) jobs are concentrated in London. Unless you mean accounting/in-house finance, in which case they're everywhere - but this forum isn't really about those jobs (there's the finance and accountancy one instead).

Posted from TSR Mobile

How about you do your own research instead of bombarding people with questions?
Because I keep seeing everyone on here say that I probably won't be able to get into IB as it is not a target. semi-target or Russell Group despite it being 4 on the Guardian League Table and 11th on the Complete University Guide. If it won't allow me to get into IB what's the point?

Thanks for the advice mate.

Ranking has nothing to do with how many banks recruit from the university.

Only reason I'm saying this now, is to make your life easier. No one's saying you'll never get in from a non-target, no, it's just harder - which you have the opportunity to circumvent now rather than later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
(..)

Original post by Trapz99
(..)

Thanks!
Original post by Trapz99
How about you do your own research instead of bombarding people with questions?
Funnily enough, this is a FAQ thread.
Ranking has nothing to do with how many banks recruit from the university.

Only reason I'm saying this now, is to make your life easier. No one's saying you'll never get in from a non-target, no, it's just harder - which you have the opportunity to circumvent now rather than later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks mate.
Funnily enough, this is a FAQ thread.

Yeah so it's a thread where the OP has already addressed the frequently asked questions on the original post.

If you're interested in Asset Management it mau be worth looking at Edinburgh as well as London as there are quite a few FO grad roles available up there.
Original post by RunningBack34
If you're interested in Asset Management it mau be worth looking at Edinburgh as well as London as there are quite a few FO grad roles available up there.

This is true, Aberdeen AM has a decently sized office here in Aberdeen too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RunningBack34

Cheers, was considering study at Edinburgh uni anyways so it'd be nice to stay in the same city.
Original post by Trapz99
Lol I'm a sixth former. But I probably only would have been able to say "exotic options" and "structured rates". I just know that those desks are more complicated and quantitative than vanilla desks. I'm not an expert haha

Watch 'The Big Short' for an entertaining crash course in credit default swaps, asset backed securities and collateral debt obligations
Original post by natninja
Watch 'The Big Short' for an entertaining crash course in credit default swaps, asset backed securities and collateral debt obligations

I will watch it one day, I've been told it's really good, but I just don't have much time on my hands aha
Lol, how are you going to be pigeonholed to IBD?

It's fine man, literally what I have written is the case - outside of quantitative finance positions your degree subject is pretty much moot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only pretty much though, in my experience (and the experience of people in my year group - target uni), people doing quant subjects had to prove they weren't geeks for IBD roles much more so than humanities/arts students....
Original post by natninja
Only pretty much though, in my experience (and the experience of people in my year group - target uni), people doing quant subjects had to prove they weren't geeks for IBD roles much more so than humanities/arts students....

That's expected, but they still got the interviews.

Same with someone studying music who gets an interview but has to prove their interest in finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
Don't apply to LSE. You won't get in unless you're really amazing in some other way.

Were you saying this in general? Or just for this case

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's expected, but they still got the interviews.

Same with someone studying music who gets an interview but has to prove their interest in finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As did i. Proving interest in finance is a given, having to prove you are capable of interacting with people is not something you'll have to do unless you did physics, maths, engineering or comp sci. I got asked in a final round interview at JPM to prove I could relate to people given I studied physics as a first question...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending